Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #4508
Radio/rear camera is not working

Anyone had the radio/camera go out?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If your talking about the Axxerra radio I am waiting for my dealer to notify me a new one has been received and then my coach will go in for the second replacement.

Mine kept loosing power while travelling. The first was replaced under warranty and then the next trip, half way back home, it happened again. Even though my warranty has expired, Thor is going to replace it again because it is an ongoing issue with my coach.

The first radio would loose power every 10 - 20 miles and the new one is doing it every 150 - 200 miles.

We tried getting them to give us a credit towards a radio of our choosing but they wouldn't bite on that.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #3

State: Kansas
THOR #3779
Ours worked off and on. House batteries were not charging due to GFI in the bathroom being tripped. Radio and cameras would run on generator power, but would cut out when the generator quit, which was often. A little carb cleaner may have fixed the genny. Resetting the GFI seems to have fixed the radio. We are in a 2016 Windsport.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Anyone had the radio/camera go out?
What radio?

dstankov mentioned his issues with the Axxerra...
MANY of us have had issues with the Jenson 212RV unit - blank screen...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

THOR #3779
We have the Axxera with the camera video, CD. & DVD player all in one. Slow, clunky, unresponsive and user hostile.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I replaced my "user hostile" Axxera with a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. It has Apple Carplay and brighter camera replay. It also shows gradients on the rear camera for guestimating distance.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

THOR #3779
Cool. Sounds like a nice upgrade.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Yes, my radio camera stopped working on our trip to the Gran Canyon. I discovered loose connections on the back of the radio. The problem to overcome is the removal of the radio so that you can access its rear connections. You should have received two pieces of flat metal with bent ends when you purchased your RV. These pieces of metal are the tools that allow you to remove the radio.
After removing the trim around the radio which snaps into place, the tools can be inserted mid-centered into the side gap between the radio and its mounting bracket with the bent tab pointing away from the radio. The tools depress a locking snap and then engage the radio which can be removed by pulling on the tools. Remove the radio until there is enough room to get to the rear connections. Remove and reattach each connection. You can test the radio/camera before it is re-installed to assure that it is functional. When you are satisfied with the radio's functionality then you can reinsert it into its mount and push it into position without using the tools. The radio will lock into position requiring only the trim to be replaced.
The rear connections are not very good connections and sometimes I had to remove and replace then a few times before I got the connection to work properly. The entire is not difficult and did not require me to remove power from the coach.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

THOR #3779
Wow, thanks for the detailed information. I may try that when I get home in the fall.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
The Jensen 212 had issues with the rear camera and the connectors. No amount of removing, reconnecting, taping, tieing resulted in a permanent fix. Thor warranty sent me a replacement Jensen 215N which resolved all my issues and I replaced it myself, easily, in a matter of minutes.

Do a forum search all kinds of info on this problem.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I replaced my "user hostile" Axxera with a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. It has Apple Carplay and brighter camera replay. It also shows gradients on the rear camera for guestimating distance.
Question was it a direct replacement and more user friendly
Old 06-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
It is definitely more user friendly. The only issue was the camera inputs. It only has one input. I had them install switches in the tiny cubby at the bottom of the radio panel. I have to manually switch camera ON. But that is OK because I rarely use the side cameras. One of the pluses is that this radio puts gradients on the camera display. So I can better guesstimate the backing distance.

I also find the screen brighter. It can even tilt to eliminate glare.

When I insert a CD, it takes a few seconds to load. The Axxera would sometimes take 30 seconds.

The radio seems to have better reception is fringe areas.

So, yes, worth it.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #13

THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
It is definitely more user friendly. The only issue was the camera inputs. It only has one input. I had them install switches in the tiny cubby at the bottom of the radio panel. I have to manually switch camera ON. But that is OK because I rarely use the side cameras. One of the pluses is that this radio puts gradients on the camera display. So I can better guesstimate the backing distance.

I also find the screen brighter. It can even tilt to eliminate glare.

When I insert a CD, it takes a few seconds to load. The Axxera would sometimes take 30 seconds.

The radio seems to have better reception is fringe areas.

So, yes, worth it.
Thanks for the info gbrown I thought when i had the axxerra radio out there was only 1 cam input because somewhere under the dash is a cam switch that switches between rear and side cams so only 1 input was needed Ill have to recheck that but i will definitely check out the pioneer
Old 08-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #14

THOR #12924
Has anyone figured out what causes the backup camera turn signal camera and radio to go out on a Thor axis
Old 09-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geowest View Post
Has anyone figured out what causes the backup camera turn signal camera and radio to go out on a Thor axis
Yes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geowest View Post
The Axxerra radio is made to be used with a back-up camera with an internal mic. Whenever a camera is selected, the radio is muted so you can listen to the mic in the camera. Yes I know the mirror camera don't have mics, but the radio doesn't. My mic in the back-up camera works well. I added a 9" monitor above the headlight switch as my scan could not take in the mirror cameras displated in the Axxerra. If you want to remove the Axxerra radio, google DIN radio removal.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #17

THOR #12924
No power

After driving the vehicle 10 Mi or so all the cameras and the radio lose power I do not know what the answer is and the dealer has had it twice checking it out with no answers if I start the generator they come back on or if I hooked to shore power they will come on and then all the sudden they will start working again for a while
Old 09-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #18

THOR #12924
Is there a fix that I can let the dealership know about
Old 09-01-2018, 01:47 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How do you know the camera's have no power? All you get is a black screen on the radio. That could be a disconnected signal wire somewhere, a loose connector, or the switch box messing up--I believe the Axxera's only have 1 camera input and there may be a switch box under the panel above the gauges (someone with an Axxera correct me if I'm wrong).

If all 3 camera's are out I'd suspect the connector at the back of the radio--perhaps it worked its way loose? (This happened to our side cameras on our Jensen radio--I pulled it out re-seated all the connectors and made sure they were tight; no problems since.) Or perhaps the wire at the switchbox is loose, or the switchbox lost power.

So many things to check...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #20

THOR #12924
No power

Driving home from the dealer today 10 Mi away the turn signal cameras quit working the radio quit working and the power switch quit working down on the chassis and when I got home it was still out the disconnect switch and I started doing things in the trailer and 10 minutes later it turned on and the radio came on then the blinkers worked again without doing anything when driving down the road I can start the generator and everything works again but as soon as I turn the generator off everything stops not sure if there's different wiring for the generator and the 12 volt coach batteries but it seems they should be both connected the same