Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 02:59 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Rain comes in under top slide seal

Well, I searched the forums for something like to this, but no luck.

Normally, when I put our Citation away in November, not to be used until mid-February, I put an RV cover over it. This last fall, this didn't happen for one reason or another, one of which was uncertainty of when MB was going to be able to get the Takata airbag recall work done on the passenger side.

So, there have been a couple of real monsoon like rain storms where water gets in under the rubber seal on the top of my front slide out. I cannot see how it is getting in because the slide awning is securely fastened all across the top, all rolled up like it should be in the closed position. I check on the MH at the storage lot, frequently, and find little puddles of water on top of the slide roof (one solid piece). Depending on how level the MH is in its storage space (packed gravel), water may run forward and on to the floor behind the driver's seat.

Today, I went and checked a found a small puddle on the floor at the rear of the front slide. I opened up cabinets and the bottom drawer looking for other leaks (found none). Examined the rear slide and all the other vents, AC, etc. and found all was dry. Roof is in great shape, I checked from up top a couple months ago.

I know water leaks are the scourge of RV ownership, but can't find anything.

Since this doesn't happen to us when we're on the road even when driving in rain, and I haven't seen this before, I'm ready to chalk it up to the "monsoons" and high winds. Oh, BTW, the side with the slides face south when I have the MH in storage.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Well, I searched the forums for something like to this, but no luck.

Normally, when I put our Citation away in November, not to be used until mid-February, I put an RV cover over it. This last fall, this didn't happen for one reason or another, one of which was uncertainty of when MB was going to be able to get the Takata airbag recall work done on the passenger side.

So, there have been a couple of real monsoon like rain storms where water gets in under the rubber seal on the top of my front slide out. I cannot see how it is getting in because the slide awning is securely fastened all across the top, all rolled up like it should be in the closed position. I check on the MH at the storage lot, frequently, and find little puddles of water on top of the slide roof (one solid piece). Depending on how level the MH is in its storage space (packed gravel), water may run forward and on to the floor behind the driver's seat.

Today, I went and checked a found a small puddle on the floor at the rear of the front slide. I opened up cabinets and the bottom drawer looking for other leaks (found none). Examined the rear slide and all the other vents, AC, etc. and found all was dry. Roof is in great shape, I checked from up top a couple months ago.

I know water leaks are the scourge of RV ownership, but can't find anything.

Since this doesn't happen to us when we're on the road even when driving in rain, and I haven't seen this before, I'm ready to chalk it up to the "monsoons" and high winds. Oh, BTW, the side with the slides face south when I have the MH in storage.
We are facing some seal leak issues as well. Did all the seal maintenance as suggested, buT it looks like seal replacement is the next option as well as resealing the slide out topper connects to the coach roof. Will have to wait for some warmer weather when I can spread sealer and have if flow as needed. Will order new bulb seals for all around but I know the slide topper will have to come off to do the top seals so that will wait a bit as well.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I did find that the bunk window was leaking and had someone remove the window and reseal. I still get occasionally water behind the seat on the floor like you described. I open/close the slide to try to ensure a tighter fit, seems like Its better but.....still looking.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Weather turned nice on Monday, (sunny, up to 60 F), so I went up the road to the storage lot with a step ladder and got a good look at the top of the front slide from the outside. Awning is intact, I cannot see the seal as it is under the rolled up slide awning. I'll have it at the house next week in preparation for a trip, and will open up the slide for a better look.

From the inside, the top slide seal looks good, no gaps, tears, etc. We've had a occasional showers in the last few days and no new water inside on top of the slide or anywhere else.

As I said before, when it's raining sideways, is when I think it blows in under the top seal.

The side portal windows on the sides of the bunk are not leaking.