Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
Chassis Batteries

I have a 15 Pallazo 34.5. Chassis batteries need to be replaced.
I took videos and photos of correct cable hook up. Installed new batteries today , double checked wiring against photos. Turned battery switch on step retracted , ( was out apx. 2 inches when batteries went dead ). Put key in the ignition and nothing. Newbie to motorhomes but an okay mechanic.
Any ideas ?

Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncalderz@gmail.com View Post
I have a 15 Pallazo 34.5. Chassis batteries need to be replaced.
I took videos and photos of correct cable hook up. Installed new batteries today , double checked wiring against photos. Turned battery switch on step retracted , ( was out apx. 2 inches when batteries went dead ). Put key in the ignition and nothing. Newbie to motorhomes but an okay mechanic.
Any ideas ?
Well, I learned these the hard way. As you take the cables off the post, one at a time, zip tie the holes together and clean up the post and clamp. If you get confused as I did, peel the plastic covering back and look at the color of the cable. Oh yeah, when you are putting the cable back on, tape the cable with the correct color, red for positive, and since negative is black, there it is, make sure you have tight connections. Oh yeah, look for all the reset C/Bs. What is the volts on the batteries?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Check all connections (loose or incorrect) and the circuit breaker located next to the batteries.

Also check your fuse boxes located inside and out of the RV.?

I bet its that circuit breaker.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #4

THOR #13375
Thanks for the response , it was getting late in my day of things to do , temps dropping and I was done for the day. Tomorrow I will check circuit breakers first , then pull cables off , pull front battery out. With better lighting on hand and a new approach hopefully I'll track the problem down.
Again , thanks.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach but I wanted to clarify the original trouble entry just so we are clear on the problem.......which sounds like a dead or disconnected chassis (engine) battery. You talked about changing the chassis batteries......you either have more than one chassis battery (unusual) or you meant that you changed the coach (house) batteries? The steps are typically operated by the chassis battery......so the “retract when you turned on again” was likely powered by the chassis battery. Not sure if your coach has separate coach and chassis disconnect switches by the door, but if yes make sure the chassis switch is on. As Cason61 said check your voltage on the chassis battery......12.6 vdc is full charge......and as he/she advised, if turning on the ignition does not crank the engine, try to trace the +12vdc battery cable and check for open breakers and/or open disconnect switch with a voltmeter along that start path. Attaching a schematic that “may or may not” apply to your coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Palazzo Battery Compartment Wiring.pdf (183.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #6

THOR #13375
Where to start ? Yes there are two 12v batteries that I replaced. There are also four 6v batteries (Trojan T 105 ).
Today before it started snowing to hard , I double checked battery cable install again, still nothing to ignition.
Next I opened ( hood ) under windshield and attached jumper to a set of positive and negative post and got power to dash , engine started up , unhooked jumper and it died. That is as far as I got due to the snow. Voltmeter tomorrow and heavier clothing.