Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #5410
Rear camera not working

Help!! Our rear backup camera on our 2017 freedom elite 22fe has stopped working. I have already insured that the battery is in the use position. I have actually moved it 4 or 5 times to be sure. I have also tried resetting the radio using the reset several times to no avail. We are traveling and I’m uncomfortable not having the rear camera. Can anyone give something else to try. The other functions on the radio (radio, dual mirroring etc) seem to be working fine

Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach, radio or camera switch/trigger system, but are you saying that the turn signals turn on mirror mounted cameras OK (dual mirroring)?
If that is correct then it sounds like either the rear camera is faulty, or there is a loose video line cable connection (either at the camera end or the radio / switcher unit end) or the transmission (in reverse – back up light) sense wire that actually signals the reverse camera feed to be turned on and shown on the radio/monitor, has a problem. The video switch unit/circuit could also have a problem. I am not sure if your radio has the video switcher built in or if the video switcher unit is a separate small unit that just accepts the three video camera inputs and then connects the one required video output to the radio/monitor.
The turn signals and back up lights (transmission in reverse) are the typical trigger signals that tell the “switcher” which video camera to connect through to the radio/monitor screen.

Probably the easiest thing is check the model of radio you have and determine via its manual or via internet if it has the video switcher built in or not (do the three video input cables terminate on the back of the radio - if yes switcher is built in). If the video switcher is built in, then remove the radio from the dash and check that all connectors are plugged in tight. If the switcher unit is a separate box then you will need to find it and check that all cable connections (rear camera in particular) are good. In that case you would not need to remove the radio since you say the mirror cameras work fine.....so some video feeds are getting through the switcher to the radio/monitor OK. You could also try plugging the rear camera feed cable into one of the mirror camera inputs (on the radio or switcher unit) and turn on the appropriate turn signal to at least determine if the rear camera and its cabling are good.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #3

State: New York
THOR #5410
Thank you so much for your thoughts. My suspicion has been there is a loose connection somewhere but as we were on the road I couldn’t fully investigate it. Funny thing is that late yesterday it started to work. I have two thoughts about this. One is that the vibration of driving had loosened it up but now it is working. Second thought is that the house batteries may have been run down. I turned them to use when the camera stopped working but they may have been on store all day so they didn’t recharge as we drove. The RV had been in storage before we left and even in storage mode it will run down. I can’t tell what is drawing on it but I suspect co2 detector.

I will continue to monitor
Old 04-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, well if the mirror cameras worked fine after coming out of storage (possible low charge on coach batteries) then I would think the rear camera should have also worked fine. I don't think there is much of a current drain caused by these small cameras. If your rear camera started working after you started your trip (physically driving) then I would suspect the loose connection scenario. Murphy's Law will cause it to fail again when you most need it of course.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31A
State: Iowa
THOR #3906
Got my rig out of storage yesterday and my back up camera was not working either. Tore dash apart to find a mouse had chewed through the wire.
2014 Passport Grand Touring
2014 Thor Chateau 31A
Sivymp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I have the Axxera radio in my Axis and have experienced the same intermittent problem. It would display "No Signal" on the screen. Then it would work. Then it wouldn't, The tray on the top of the dash has two screws to remove to open up and see all the wiring behind the radio. Besides the clusters that clip together there was what looked like a component video connector but it was black and yellow. It was labeled "Camera". It disconnected very easily and when put together the cameras started working. It was not a tight connection. No doubt vibration was the culprit. A few wraps of electricians tape and the problem has not returned. Not sure if you have the same radio but am willing to bet the problem is the same.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #14934
Camera Switch Box

The cameras inputs to the silver switch-box are BNC connectors. They also have a threaded lock to keep them snug. Two of the three were not screwed on but were still making contact.

Here's my new 14" flip down monitor installation.

Flip down 14" monitor / DVD player installed over dashboard. https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rvd14bgb/ Back up camera and left / right turn camersa are visible in the monitor running a piggy back RCA cable of the switchbox output and ran up under the trim on the driver's site to the overhead platform. Default view is rear view camera so I can keep an eye on our trailer toad.
I also have a HDMI input on the unit and I plugged in the Dual DMH25 DualCast Wi-Fi USB/HDMI Dongle so I can mirror my phone for Google Maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	17417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	17418  

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	17419  
Mr.Ed203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #14934
Correction to my post above. Not BNC connectors.
They are 5 pin plugs that were loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	17430  
Mr.Ed203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Did you get resolution to your problem?

I don't know anything about your particular set-up but maybe my experience will help...Early on with my unit, our camera was intermittent. I took the doghouse engine cowling off and was able to access the wires under/behind the radio...where there is a BNC connection in the camera cable... one of those quarter turns connectors... disconnecting and reconnecting did the trick.

My memory is fuzzy now, but I want to say after I did that...but maybe it was before and the other way around... it went out again and I found that cycling the power off then back on at the house "Use/Store" switch would re-set it.

Then, after fiddling with that bnc connector a time or two again it worked and I have so far not had any more problems with the thing. Just weird bad connection I suppose.