Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2022, 05:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany M-4051
State: California
THOR #27641
Rear camera video has stopped working.

Anyone have any idea on what to look for. The side cameras are working but when I go into reverse the rear does not work. Also while driving if I turn on the cameras the rear still does not work. Any insight would be great.
Thanks

Old 08-15-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Either power to; or video from; the rear camera has been lost. Check the connections at the camera multiplexing switch.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #3

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Either power to; or video from; the rear camera has been lost. Check the connections at the camera multiplexing switch.
Where is the multiplexing switch normally located?
Old 08-15-2022, 10:02 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Some camera controllers are located under the top of the dash board cover above behind the radio.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #5

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Some camera controllers are located under the top of the dash board cover above behind the radio.

Good luck
I will have a look thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #6

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
It is likely poor connection or a disconnect at or near radio. Get a mirror and flashing and start looking under dash. My radio wiring crimp job was terrible, and the connectors for the multiplexer were, at best, kind of plugged in.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #7

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
It is likely poor connection or a disconnect at or near radio. Get a mirror and flashing and start looking under dash. My radio wiring crimp job was terrible, and the connectors for the multiplexer were, at best, kind of plugged in.
I will check it out thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
It can't be a bad connection at/near the radio if the side cameras are working.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:05 AM   #9

THOR #25490
I disagree. All the connections should be verified at / near radio. Just because the side vision works (which is triggered by turn signal input) does not mean that the rear vision will work which is triggered by another means. Good practice is to verify connections and do a good visual before tearing into it. Just my two cents.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I disagree. All the connections should be verified at / near radio. Just because the side vision works (which is triggered by turn signal input) does not mean that the rear vision will work which is triggered by another means. Good practice is to verify connections and do a good visual before tearing into it. Just my two cents.
There is a single video cable and a single trigger cable from the multiplexor box to the radio. If the problem was at the radio, all cameras would be affected, not just the rear camera.

Checking all connections (including ones that could not possibly cause the observed symptoms) is called Easter egging or shotgun troubleshooting.
Checking the things that can cause the observed symptom is called the logical approach to troubleshooting and saves wasted time.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:34 AM   #11

THOR #25490
I still disagree. Call it what you want, but unless you can provide specific pinpoint steps to resolve the issue, then the first place to start is always a good visual. And my vote is around the radio and multiplexer. If you want to get a schematic going on this thread and look at the possibilities, I'd be happy to provide more places to start. I, my friend, have been doing this a long time as well. I really do not know what issue you are having with a good visual. But apparently you have more intimate knowledge than do I.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:19 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Quote:
I still disagree. Call it what you want, but unless you can provide specific pinpoint steps to resolve the issue, then the first place to start is always a good visual. And my vote is around the radio and multiplexer. If you want to get a schematic going on this thread and look at the possibilities, I'd be happy to provide more places to start. I, my friend, have been doing this a long time as well. I really do not know what issue you are having with a good visual. But apparently you have more intimate knowledge than do I.
That's the problem I have. You've changed your story - you said "It is likely poor connection or a disconnect at or near radio". That's incorrect considering the symptoms and a waste of the OP's time looking at the radio.

Simple logic.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:20 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sometimes taking an extra 5 minutes for a visual and "tug test" - even though it's not suspect for the problem at hand - pays dividends. For instance, every time I'm under one of my vehicles doing ANY type of work (oil change, etc.) I do a quick visual once-over... shocks, tie-rod ends, u-joints... anything that could leak, come loose, etc. Just good practice.

If I'm already in a "difficult to access" area, I adopt a preventive mindset... If I tore the dash apart to find a loose wire, you better believe I'm going to check other stuff while I'm in there. The hope is I wasted my time and didn't find anything. If I check the air in one tire, I never stop there...

Maybe a waste of time, but that's just me.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #14

THOR #27641
I will get under there and take a look when I get a chance. Its been hot here in California so I need to do it one morning. Hopefully I fine something loose.

Im still not sure what this multiplexer box is you guys keep referring to.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabzbad View Post
I will get under there and take a look when I get a chance. Its been hot here in California so I need to do it one morning. Hopefully I fine something loose.

Im still not sure what this multiplexer box is you guys keep referring to.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-501n.html
Old 08-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #16

THOR #27641
Quote:
I dug into it. I found the multiplexer under the dash with the stereo. Mine is black and plastic but probably the same.

I checked all connections disconnected and went thru turn signals and rear check to see what line what what camera. I disconneced each and lost signal except for the rear because I did not have signal. Reconnected and got each signal back except for the rear. The power wire for the multiplexer was connected to the radio and looked good.

Any chance on replacing the multiplexer?
Old 08-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I dug into it. I found the multiplexer under the dash with the stereo. Mine is black and plastic but probably the same.

I checked all connections disconnected and went thru turn signals and rear check to see what line what what camera. I disconneced each and lost signal except for the rear because I did not have signal. Reconnected and got each signal back except for the rear. The power wire for the multiplexer was connected to the radio and looked good.

Any chance on replacing the multiplexer?
Swap the rear and a side camera to see where the symptom goes. If the side camera shows up as the rear camera it's probably not a multiplexer problem but a rear camera problem.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #18

THOR #27641
Quote:
Swap the rear and a side camera to see where the symptom goes. If the side camera shows up as the rear camera it's probably not a multiplexer problem but a rear camera problem.
Will do I thought of that when I got back inside the house LOL
I will let you know. Thanks
Old 08-17-2022, 09:44 PM   #19

THOR #27641
Quote:
So I switched the video cables. When I did that I did not have video on either?
Any ideas....I was looking at the multiplexer...and what is interesting is there are no trigger wires that I can tell....there are 2 plugs on for video and one for audio and one green wire that go to the radio. So I dont understand where the trigger is coming from for turn signals or reverse.
Just to note if the camera is on and you dont have the turn signals on then the rear cameral should always be on and also when you go into reverse. Currently both say no signal.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:10 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So I switched the video cables. When I did that I did not have video on either?
Any ideas....I was looking at the multiplexer...and what is interesting is there are no trigger wires that I can tell....there are 2 plugs on for video and one for audio and one green wire that go to the radio. So I dont understand where the trigger is coming from for turn signals or reverse.
Just to note if the camera is on and you dont have the turn signals on then the rear cameral should always be on and also when you go into reverse. Currently both say no signal.
You don't have a power/ground/trigger bundle?