Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #18606
I have the same Motorhome and the same issue. First try the reset button on the front of the unit. If this does not work, pull the unit and replace the fuse at the rear. Let me know how you make out.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminex View Post
I had similar problems with my outlaw frmo time to time.

It ended up being the wiring connections behind the radio.

Thor buildrer (also known as clueless monkeys, who give monkeys a bad name) use simple butt connectors, and did not ensure that they were crimped properly. I cut off off the connector and soldered the wires.

once I did that everything was perfect from then on.

BUT, I got sick of using the radio for all of the cameras didn't like that I could only view 1 at a time.

I recently installed a couple 7" LED monitors ($25 each from amazon) on the dash on either side of the gauge cluster. I wired them in to the cameras for each of the side mirrors.

Remember that the video from the rear view, and mirror cams goes into a control box, and then just a single video feed is sent to the radio.

I spliced into the feeds going from the mirror cams into the distribution box to also send the signal to the displays.

Then, since I was doing all that wiring & soldering, I decided to also splice another feed from the rear camera wiring. I then took the rear cam feed, as well as the output from the distribution box (all 3 video feeds controlled by the turn signals) and ran those 2 feeds through a simple 3 way switch, and then in to the video input on the radio.

This allows me to control what I want to view on the radio - rear only, or all 3 cams as it came from the factory. (i..e rear default, and then a mirror cam when the turn signal is activated)

Hope this made sense.
I don’t get the need to insult (Thor monkeys). I do not have ties with Thor aside from owning one of their vehicles.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
I don’t get the need to insult (Thor monkeys). I do not have ties with Thor aside from owning one of their vehicles.
Especially when you can't do it with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #24

Model: Outlaw 37LS
State: Nebraska
THOR #1630
I have had several people asking for a little more detail on how I added the monitors for individual feeds. I am sorry I don't have any pictures, but feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best I can.

If anyone has suggestions on a better way to do the wiring I describe, I am open to suggestions. FYI - I always try to solder. I am not a fan of crimping, screw caps, or as I like to call them "vampire taps" in vehicles. (too many experiences with things coming loose over time)

The mirror & rear cameras utilize a proprietary connection for Voyager brand cameras. They run a single cable from each camera to the CSW3 camera controller. This controller provides a single RCA video output. (This is what is connected to the factory radio.) The CSW3 is what controls which video is displayed depending upon which trigger wire is engaged. Right turn, left turn, or reverse. If no trigger is sensed, it defaults to reverse.

I stripped the outer sheath off the cable for each camera. I did this just before the plug that connects to the CSW3 controller. You will find several wires inside. I used the Red for power, Black for ground, and then the wire for the actual video source is a clear wire inside a metal mesh insulation sheath. I did not cut it, I simply pulled it clear from the mesh, stripped it, and soldered another wire to it. (keep the metal sheath as intact as possible as it is what insulates the video wire from interference from the other wires)

I used some old RCA cables I had lying around for the ends. On those cables, the internal wire is the video signal, and the outside wire is ground.

After soldering the connections, I used liquid electrical tape (at least 2 coats), and then a wrap of normal electrical tape. I used the tape to also isolate the video wire from the other wires at the point that I soldered the new connection. Final steps on the wiring was to zip tie them tight to the wood cross piece behind the radio to keep them from moving.

Since I setup the mirror cams I also wanted the ability to lock the radio display to the rear view camera, so I wired it in the same manner.

Then like everyone else, once I was finishing up one idea, I had another.

I had a concern about one of the cheap mirror camera monitors failing. I then decided to add a switch for the video feed into the radio.

I took a 3 way switch (on-off-on). I soldered 3 of the RCA cable ends to the switch. I soldered all of the grounds together, and then a different video wire to each of the terminals. (center terminal is the "out") I had this switch in my wiring bin. if I had to procure a switch, I would simply use a 2 way toggle switch between feeds)

Next I connected the original video feed from the CSW3 to one of the leads, the rear camera video to the other lead. (RCA Female to Female connectors used) I then connected The center lead to the back of the radio.

I mounted the switch right above the radio. Flip it one way and it is like factory. Flip it the other way and it is rear only. center position is no video.

FYI, I already had 4 other switches mounted right above the radio for each of the speakers connected to the radio. I wanted to be able to turn each individual speak on or off since I have a dog bed right next to the front passenger speaker. (As you know when driving, you have to play the stereo pretty loud to hear it, and I didn't want to kill my dogs hearing)

Sorry I don't have pics, feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best I can.