Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #8436
Authorization from Thor

Brand new Thor Miramar used it once. After issues we discovered black tank has 1.5 inch pipe not 3 inch drain pipe, the unit was plumbed in reverse. Now our dealer, camping world said they have not gotten authorization from Thor to fix! What it's a factory defect!!!
This has been going on for 3 weeks and we can't use our new RV because black tank won't drain!
At our wits end!! Is Thor really this bad backing their product?
Any suggestions?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
MHSRV was able to get warranty authorization for my coach in about 30 minutes from Thor Motor coach. They did it twice - once when I picked up the coach and 11 months later when the water heater quit on electric. I suggest your problem is CW not Thor Motor Coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
DO NOT take your dealers word for anything, call Thor directly. That is one of dealers favorite sayings, "waiting on authorization, or "waiting on parts" & the reason they are waiting is someone has to make the call to get authorization or parts.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Probably wouldn't take it to Camping World. You don't hear good things about that place.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

State: South Dakota
THOR #5513
Camping World sucks. We'll never go there again for anything. Call Thor and they'll authorize warranty work with any RV shop you want to take it to.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #6

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter View Post
Camping World sucks. We'll never go there again for anything. Call Thor and they'll authorize warranty work with any RV shop you want to take it to.

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My dealer always had authorization the same day. CW is blowing smoke.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Just because some get good support from Thor don't expect everyone to get good support. People like to blame CW but I'm going with Thor is the problem. They have no problem making CW look bad. I had mine in for service at a shop (of my choosing) and Thor stood up the shop not once but twice in the same day for parts, even after showing up at the factory to pick them they were turned away and told they changed their minds and to come back another day. At least CW tries to solve your problem. I was there or I would not have believed it myself. My dealer and Thor wrote me off months ago and left me hanging out to dry. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
DO NOT take your dealers word for anything, call Thor directly. That is one of dealers favorite sayings, "waiting on authorization, or "waiting on parts" & the reason they are waiting is someone has to make the call to get authorization or parts.
Truer words were never "spoken". My dealer said they had turned in an issue to THOR and had been waiting for three weeks. I called THOR and was told they had only submitted the request the day before (when I had called the dealer to follow up) They told me it was approved.

My dealer did the same thing on parts.

Call THOR to get the "real" story.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
MHSRV was able to get warranty authorization for my coach in about 30 minutes from Thor Motor coach. They did it twice - once when I picked up the coach and 11 months later when the water heater quit on electric. I suggest your problem is CW not Thor Motor Coach.

I agree. I had issues with kitchen grey tank and my dealership got authorization within a day.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We had several issues with our Gemini, the dealer always managed to get the authorization they needed to fix. One problem required a new wire harness from the antennae to the dash radio, there was some confusion about whose harness it was, IE: Mercedes or Thor, but Thor and the dealer did finally identify what was needed and got it working.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #8763
Call Thor and make a complaint!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #13

THOR #8436
Each day I find a little more information ! CW claims they need 16 hours to fix problem Thor claims they only need 2.5 hours because CW isn't following their instructions!
So we are caught in the middle and neither party seem to care about the consumer! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ON BOTH ENDS! A new RV that we can't use ! Shame on both.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Some have said they have had decent service from CW, but no one I know would have anything to do with their service, at least at either of the two our here. I actually did well with the selling dealers service, made friends with the service manager, and the tech that worked on it. They were as accommodating as possible, considering their impossible schedule and work load.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #15

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Just because some get good support from Thor don't expect everyone to get good support. People like to blame CW but I'm going with Thor is the problem. They have no problem making CW look bad. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Why would Thor want to make CW look bad. They are Thor's biggest distributor/dealer??

My local dealer, Carpenters in Pensacola, never seemed to have a problem or a delay getting authorization. Times I've called or emailed Thor, response same or next day-always.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post

Why would Thor want to make CW look bad. They are Thor's biggest distributor/dealer??

My local dealer, Carpenters in Pensacola, never seemed to have a problem or a delay getting authorization. Times I've called or emailed Thor, response same or next day-always.

My dealer Berryland Campers in Louisiana has never seem to have an issue either. And each time I personally called Thor I have had a pleasant experience.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #17

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiavb View Post
My dealer Berryland Campers in Louisiana has never seem to have an issue either. And each time I personally called Thor I have had a pleasant experience.
I too have had a great experience with Thor if I call them to get resolved. I have same dealer (Berryland). Had issue with batteries and Trombetta relay dealer could not resolve. A single call to Thor and Parts were mailed that day. If you are respectful with Thor customer service my experience has shown on multiple occasions that they are more than willing to assist and cover the product.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Angry

Same run around from America Choice RV in Ocala, FL. Took new Axis 25.5 to them on 8/8/17, 3 work days after taking delivery. Coach batteries were fired due to severe over charging by the on-board inverter/charger. Couple of smaller issues also. Called this morning and Service advised they were still waiting on repair authorization from Thor. Can't believe it would take 8 days and counting, just to get Thor's OK to repair a brand new unit. I've emailed Thor Customer Care. If I don't get a reply by tomorrow, will call Thor. Ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #19

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen legg View Post
Each day I find a little more information ! CW claims they need 16 hours to fix problem Thor claims they only need 2.5 hours because CW isn't following their instructions!
So we are caught in the middle and neither party seem to care about the consumer! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ON BOTH ENDS! A new RV that we can't use ! Shame on both.
Ask Thor to refer you to a different dealer. You don't have to have warranty work done by your selling dealer. They just have to be a Thor dealer with a service department that can handle the work. As long as Thor sends you there, they have to perform the work. CALL Thor, don't email. Much faster response time.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
You will have to check with the dealer first. Thor does not know which dealers will or will not work on your coach depending on whether or not the dealer has the "you bought it somewhere else" stipulation. Unfortunately, Camping World is the only dealer that does't care where you bought, they will service it, at least attempt to.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote