Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Jensen radio/camera system

My 2014 Vegas has the Jensen radio/ camera. It always displays the time when the store/use switch is in the "use" position. Now, the display is out as well as the cameras and radio operation. No response despite cycling store/use switch several times. I know the Jensen is a POS, but it has worked fine till now. I am about to check fuse, sure it is in the panel under drivers seat in exterior compartment. If fuse is blown, why? Fuse should not blow if there is no short or other wiring problem. I have had numerous issues with the fuse for the power points in the dash. This fuse is fine and the power points have power, so another fuse controls the radio/camera. If the radio is junk, how do I remove old unit? 4 holes in front of radio look to me like release points for the radio to be removed. I then just replace the original with a superior brand. Are all the camera inputs and other inputs all standardized for any other radio? Thanx.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There is a fuse on the back of the radio (10A if I remember correctly).

You should have in your "Thor Bag" two pieces of wire that look sort of like "C"s. You put each one into the four holes on the front of the radio, squeeze the wires and pull and the radio just pops right out.

The JRV-215 (also a Jensen) is a pretty superior replacement in every way. So far we haven't had any issues with ours (even though it still is a Jensen).

The 3 camera's have proprietary Jensen plugs on the end.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

THOR #1466
jensen radio

Thanx Jamiegeek for the quick reply. I checked both fuses for the radio. They both are good. One is for radio memory, and the other is for radio power. I removed the memory one and reinstalled it, and the radio turned on, the blue lights in the knobs, and the white sound came on, but no camera or radio operation. Now, it will not turn off, so I put the store/use switch to store position. I was concerned the batteries would go dead if I left everything on. It made no difference if I plugged into shore power. Is the newer radio you suggest a direct installation into the existing radio chassis, or will dash mods be necessary? Also, where is the new model Jensen available? What is the cost? Did you make this change in your coach? Thanx, again.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I replaced the 212 with the 215 and detailed the process in this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html

Read the last few pages though: It sounds like people are now getting the 215 as a warranty replacement for the 212 including a plug-n-play harness.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

THOR #1466
jensen radio

Thanx again, jamiegeek for the info on the radio. I did some research locally, and the Soundcrafters store in Daytona beach has installed quite a few Kenwood receiver/3 camera/CD/nav/bluetooth systems in motorhomes. he also says the Jensen unit is problematic, and a very cheap, entry-level unit that manufacturers install to save a buck. I also contacted CW, and the service guy stated the same thing, which I suspected all along, anyway. The Jensen really was difficult to use, had poor reception, and sound quality, and difficult to program, and was not Sirius ready. Research I have done on the Kenwood indicates a much superior system. Quoted about $800.00 for the unit, and 1 Hr. for install. I have done much car and truck repair over the years, including sound systems, but I think, due to the complexity of the cameras and my general ham-handedness, I will let them do the install for $75.00. I think the warranty will be worth that, anyway. Happy camping.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
David,

Once you get your new Kenwood unit installed how about some pictures, make/model and a critique of the unit's preformance as compaired to the Jensen.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

THOR #1466
jensen radio

I would be glad to send pix of the installed Kenwood unit, and my evaluation, Doc mike.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have installed the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. I love this radio. The screen is brighter. The screen tilts to eliminate glare. It supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Better reception. and HD radio.

The only issue was the cameras. I had the installer put three toggle switches in the small open cubby at the bottom of the center console. I rarely use the left and right cameras. So this was not an issue. Oh yeah! It also supports marks on the camera image to better gauge distance while backing up.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #9

THOR #1466
Jensen 212t issues

I did a lot of research and decided to buy the Jensen JRV215NR 6.1. It has Nav, Bluetooth, 3 camera triggers, with rear cam audio, DVD capability, which,I assume means you can watch a DVD while driving... I think there is a lockout for that, but I think it can be disabled so your passenger can watch a movie while in motion. I hesitate to return to a Jensen, but, Jamiegeek used the updated unit and is happy with it, so I feel this unit, being further improved, should offer better longevity than the original. The Kenwood did not allow for left-right camera triggers by the turn signals. The Jensen does, so I went with that. However, it does not indicate in the Jensen specs if in-motion rear camera is a feature. I require seeing my towed car at all times, so that would be a must for me. Anyone familiar with the Jensen JRV215NR 6.1 who can tell me about in-motion rear cam operation? Thanx.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
My 212 went dead - at the RV dealer!! - back in Dec/Jan. Replaced with the 215 under warranty. Much better unit, though don't care much for their built in GPS.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
I have had the same frustrating issues in my 2014 Hurricane 34E. Radio just goes dead. No screen, camera's or Radio. On the road now and at my last stop I removed the two fuses at P1-2 F35 and P2-2 F28 in the converter fuse panel under the hood to check the fuses. Both were good but when I replaced them... Walla! Radio working again. I don't know what the issue is but fixed for now.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
I have had the same frustrating issues in my 2014 Hurricane 34E. Radio just goes dead. No screen, camera's or Radio. On the road now and at my last stop I removed the two fuses at P1-2 F35 and P2-2 F28 in the converter fuse panel under the hood to check the fuses. Both were good but when I replaced them... Walla! Radio working again. I don't know what the issue is but fixed for now.
I'm on my second 212T - and it is starting to have issues as well...
Either completely dead... or 'blank screen' but radio/CD works (can't change anything but volume and can't turn off... or 'multicolor snow' screen...

Sometimes removing all power briefly - or longer - brings it back for a while - but it WILL fail again.
I pop the radio out and disconnect all wires on back and let it sit... Then reconnect and hope... On the list for the next service visit - as I have an extended service plan that should cover it - and its currently in its 'dead' mode again. We'll see what they replace it with this time...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote