Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: Texas
THOR #10820
Door Problem

Brand new coach (Tuscany 38SQ) just drove home yesterday (2/24/18). I am locked out. I have keys, but cannot get in. The deadbolt and handle lock feel fine (feel like they are moving with key), but cannot get in. I have also been using the electronic key fob. It makes a good sound when actuating - sounds like locking and unlocking, but still cannot get in. With this description, local locksmith won't touch. Good Sam's quoted $303 to send someone (who I still have no faith in getting unlocked). ANYONE HAVE DOOR PROBLEMS LIKE THIS OR POSSIBLE SOLUTION? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
If there is a way you can get inside thru window etc. with min. destruction, you can disassemble the lock and get the door open and fix the problem.
Good luck
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What does the dealer that sold you the coach say they can do to help you? You just drove it off their lot. You do have a warranty?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
I hope you don't have the same Trimark lock folks have been having problems with on their Vegas and Axis rigs. The bolt is made from a soft metal that breaks leaving the door locked. The only way to open the door without destroying it is to disassemble it from the inside and slide the bolt using a screwdriver
Old 02-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ummmmmm...
Congratulations on your new rig??
Sorry to hear that this has happened right at the start of your ownership.
I'd definitely have the Dealer send someone out to make a house-call, as this is such a brand-new rig.
Good luck!

And welcome aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
I thought I was locked out the first time, found out the weather change jammed the door enough I had to give it a good hard pull.
I was at the point of frustration I didn’t care if I broke anything or not.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

THOR #10820
Thanks for the replies - still locked out. Sounds like it's in the handle (and associated rod or whatever) . . . the deadbolt and electronic lock are working fine. The handle just isn't working (not shifting rod or whatever . . . something has become disconnected). Imagine our frustration . . . one day ownership of expensive rig and it's inoperable due to a $5 lock or handle. I'm now seeking other ways to get in, but hesitant to destroy a window. I have talked to dealer and someone from Elkhart (Thor) called . . . no secret ways to get in. Our other first day problem was tremendous wind noise coming from the front right windshield. I'm now wondering if there is a mobile service that would replace and re-seal the windshield . . . and I would crawl through when the windshield is popped out.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:59 AM   #8

THOR #10820
Dealer came through and dispatched sub-contractor (locksmith) to Good Sam's - locks definitely worked and handle definitely did NOT. Locksmith ultimately had to drill a hole in face plate to actuate rod to get door open. Obviously need the whole door handle mechanism replaced (and hopefully upgraded).