Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And why is it that a certified Ford Mechanic would want to work at an RV dealership? Why isn't that mechanic working at the Ford dealership if they are truly certified?

As Judge pointed out, unless that dealer is a Ford Authorized Service Center they cannot perform and bill warranty work. You might get stuck with the check if the work was not pre authorized.

Why does anyone work anywhere? Maybe his girlfriend works in the parts department or the dealership really wanted a Ford guy and paid him a sign on bonus. And sure a Ford dealer is going to have more/better Ford resources but there’s still value and that was the OPs point.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Besides.... he could probably stay home, and make more money by not working...
Old 04-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpy View Post
So, all this time, I've been peeing in the wrong tank?
It's considered bad form to pee in your neighbor's fuel tank...
Old 04-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Pee in the water tank instead?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1619441996
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EWWWwwwwwwww.....jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	30057  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #26

Model: Thor Gemini
State: Texas
THOR #23207
I have the 2017 Thor Gemini and got a recall last year on that. The Ford Company took care of it and works fine..... was sensor something to do with DEF
Old 04-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #27

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
my 2021 F250 with a tad over 800 mile son her has done a regen once so far, while driving,

mpg dropped to 14 then when done jumped back up to 18

the bus however over its life has NEVER done an active regen. always passive, as in the heat produced pushing the bus is sufficient to burn away the soot build up

your transit should be working hard enough at highway speed to do a passive regen without you ever knowing

forscan software may be able to add a DPF % full indication on your instrument panel display.

i just added it to the f250, ..

hope it helps
Old 04-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #28

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Ok, got ya back in this one, recently had same problem, w same codes in Florida ( I'm from IL ) no ford dealers had any openings till may, talked to several service reps, all said same thing. Needs regeneration, faulty ignitors ,I drove to winter haven florida 3 hrs away. They replaced ignitor but after3 hrs drive ,same ckeck light.
Brought it back, it seams there's two heat sensors in system one was faulty, reading high temp. The other funtion normal.causing check light. I may have the name wrong but I believe the sensor is call egt2 or something similar.u need to question device rep. If they look at u crazy, tell them to call ford service technician.i own 2017 gemini. Diesel.
If u still have trouble write me back and I will give u number of guy who fixed problem and he will explained to your tech.
Doug and janet
Old 04-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #29

Model: 23 TR
THOR #10954
Not sure I want to share this as there are many ridiculous reply's. Have the same unit and live in FL. No problem when it is cool out but bad mileage and total loss of power along with backfires when turned off. Have gone to 6 different Ford dealers who all have had the same experience as I had when they drove my RV. Oil catch can is the answer; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GYP2RLB...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can go from valve cover hose to catch can the from bottom hose of catch can to EGR line. No modifications to pollution system or Ford components. Oil stays way cleaner as well. Pull off value cover line to egr and you will see tons of bad old oil and carbon deposits in the line being fed back into the engine, this eliminates these as well as moisture.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you have any pictures of what you saw under that cover?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #31

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you have any pictures of what you saw under that cover?
Hi Bob, Yes, hard to photograph. 1st is on fender well side that the blue hose go and from. The 2nd is from valve cover side port to catch can unit. Bottom silver hose is what you have attached right now to your valve cover to ERG.

Name:	can 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	30159

Name:	can 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	30160
Old 05-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #32

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Not sure I want to share this as there are many ridiculous reply's. Have the same unit and live in FL. No problem when it is cool out but bad mileage and total loss of power along with backfires when turned off. Have gone to 6 different Ford dealers who all have had the same experience as I had when they drove my RV. Oil catch can is the answer; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GYP2RLB...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can go from valve cover hose to catch can the from bottom hose of catch can to EGR line. No modifications to pollution system or Ford components. Oil stays way cleaner as well. Pull off value cover line to egr and you will see tons of bad old oil and carbon deposits in the line being fed back into the engine, this eliminates these as well as moisture.
I won't dispute that this catch-can solved your problem but.......

If this is an aftermarket modification and not a stock Ford part, I would be concerned the root cause of your problem has not properly been identified and it may be masking a problem that still exisits. I would not be surprised if you had a bad sensor even if you were not getting a CEL.

There are good Ford dealers and bad dealers out there. It could easily be something they were missing in their diagnosis. As jdkirk indicated they replaced some parts only to find out it was a bad sensor in his instance. There are plenty of cases were sensors are bad but don't throw the CEL. A good mechanic will do live data capture on a ODBII scanner and look at wht the numbers are telling him for the sensors, fuel injectors, etc. when there isn't a CEL to point them in the right direction.

The emission systems needed to meet ridiculous EPA standards on today's vehicles.... especially diesels... have a huge impact on an engine being able to run properly. There are several sensors that will impact egine operation and performance if the sensor is not measuing its specific parameters properly.

My 2018 GMC Canyon Diesel was throwing an O2 #1 sensor CEL. I kept resetting it until I decided whether I was going to replace it mself or take it a shop. I noticed that my mileage was dropping and my DEF usage was increasing even though the CEL would not come back for a couple thousand miles.

The last time the sensor tripped the CEL it started causing multiple regens in a row, substantial DEF usage and even more of a drop in mileage.

I could easily see how a bad sensor could cause your oil and carbon deposits issues based on how my engine started behaving with the bad O2 sensor.

I decided to save $500 and replace the sensor myself. After doing so, my DEF usage dropped to the lowest levels since I've had the vehicle and my mileage was terrific again. The regen frequency also dropped significantly. All of those things were severaly impacted by a $125 O2 sesnor.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #33

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Yes,
Excellent explaination on why it's a good idea to have a good service rep .from a Ford dealership analyze engine repairs.,also keep detailed records so u can have a educated conversation w service rep.,
Be aware of warranty coverage, roadside assistance coverage, and properly maintence schedules. Oil changes are a good time to go Thu paperwork and ask service reps questions.over time u will know your vehicle better than the sales reps.
Nobody's gonna tell u this when u buy a camper,u gotta learn it yourself, and it's not that difficult.i like that saying of the only way to learn to juggle is to pick up bowling pins and juggle.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #34

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I won't dispute that this catch-can solved your problem but.......

If this is an aftermarket modification and not a stock Ford part, I would be concerned the root cause of your problem has not properly been identified and it may be masking a problem that still exisits. I would not be surprised if you had a bad sensor even if you were not getting a CEL.

There are good Ford dealers and bad dealers out there. It could easily be something they were missing in their diagnosis. As jdkirk indicated they replaced some parts only to find out it was a bad sensor in his instance. There are plenty of cases were sensors are bad but don't throw the CEL. A good mechanic will do live data capture on a ODBII scanner and look at wht the numbers are telling him for the sensors, fuel injectors, etc. when there isn't a CEL to point them in the right direction.

The emission systems needed to meet ridiculous EPA standards on today's vehicles.... especially diesels... have a huge impact on an engine being able to run properly. There are several sensors that will impact egine operation and performance if the sensor is not measuing its specific parameters properly.

My 2018 GMC Canyon Diesel was throwing an O2 #1 sensor CEL. I kept resetting it until I decided whether I was going to replace it mself or take it a shop. I noticed that my mileage was dropping and my DEF usage was increasing even though the CEL would not come back for a couple thousand miles.

The last time the sensor tripped the CEL it started causing multiple regens in a row, substantial DEF usage and even more of a drop in mileage.

I could easily see how a bad sensor could cause your oil and carbon deposits issues based on how my engine started behaving with the bad O2 sensor.

I decided to save $500 and replace the sensor myself. After doing so, my DEF usage dropped to the lowest levels since I've had the vehicle and my mileage was terrific again. The regen frequency also dropped significantly. All of those things were severely impacted by a $125 O2 sensor.
Yes, I spoke with Ford. Since they could NOT identify this issue and this was MY 6th separate Ford dealer who all experienced this same issue I was having with NO solution they said it was alright to add this cleaning system. I did NOT modify this pollution system but added another level of cleaning they said it would not be an issue. My system is still as it was but with a way to manually clean. Funny how when someone who has had 6 months of problem free driving with much higher fuel mileage is not believed. Really wonder the value of these forum!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #35

THOR #12751
"Regeneration"?

I said I did not dispute that this corrected your symptoms. I’m just pointing out that unless there is a serious design issue... that likely would be handles via a Recall.... your solution may be hiding the underlying problem.

If there aren’t dozens of people reporting similar issues that also can’t be resolved, it is not unreasonable to assume there is a specific issue causing the problem with your chassis.

As far as the value of this forum..... this topic would better be discussed in an automotive forum vs an RV forum since this is not an issue stemming from it being an RV. When it comes to pure RV issues, most people find this forum extremely valuable.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #36

THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I said I did not dispute that this corrected your symptoms. I’m just pointing out that unless there is a serious design issue... that likely would be handles via a Recall.... your solution may be hiding the underlying problem.

If there aren’t dozens of people reporting similar issues that also can’t be resolved, it is not unreasonable to assume there is a specific issue causing the problem with your chassis.

As far as the value of this forum..... this topic would better be discussed in an automotive forum vs an RV forum since this is not an issue stemming from it being an RV. When it comes to pure RV issues, most people find this forum extremely valuable.
I think you missed the part about going to 6 different Ford dealers in a 2 year period with this issue. I was back to each one of them at lease 2 to 3 times each. 1 of them should have done a recall which I had done at the 1st Ford dealer recall completed right after we purchased this RV. There are many diesel Transit issue going on with these units. Thor told me that they went to the gas version since they had so many service calls mostly from hot humid climates. You must be more of an expert than I am and would of liked a solution from you as I lost over 1 year at different location waiting on Ford to solve this issue which they admitted they didn't have a work around. One of their very experienced diesel mechanics is the one who suggested I look into a catch can. Not much of an RV issue if you can drive it.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #37

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I think you missed the part about going to 6 different Ford dealers in a 2 year period with this issue. I was back to each one of them at lease 2 to 3 times each. 1 of them should have done a recall which I had done at the 1st Ford dealer recall completed right after we purchased this RV. There are many diesel Transit issue going on with these units. Thor told me that they went to the gas version since they had so many service calls mostly from hot humid climates. You must be more of an expert than I am and would of liked a solution from you as I lost over 1 year at different location waiting on Ford to solve this issue which they admitted they didn't have a work around. One of their very experienced diesel mechanics is the one who suggested I look into a catch can. Not much of an RV issue if you can drive it.
My apologies for trying to help you.... but I did not miss the 6 different Ford dealers.

You can still have 6 dealers who aren't the best diagnosticians. Heck.... I purchased lottery ticket from 6 differents stores.... but I still lost anyway.

I don't have personal experience with the 3.2L dielsel but the most common problems I have read about have been issues with rough idling, which was mostly due to issues with the fuel pump. I have read the engine is pretty reliable in most cases but if there are issues it is usually a fuel delivery problem. I have not read dozens of posts from different owners about them experiencing the issue you are reporting. Not saying it is not a wide spread issue.. just saying I haven't heard this before anywhere.

So I would ask..... if you have had this issue and six Ford dealers could not fix it, why didn't you pursue a lawyer? While RV Lemon Laws and cases are rare (some people have won them), Lemon Laws do exist for problems purely related to the chassis and not the "house." You might have to file a case against Ford and Thor (since Thor sold it) but ultimately it is Ford's engine and service dept that can't fix the problem. I think you could possibly have a case.... especially if you had to perform and after-market solution yourself.

Bottom line is that your issue is with Ford and not Thor from my perspective. Yes.... you can point a finger at Thor for picking a Transit chassis with this engine combination but personally I can't blame Thor for this one. If there is truly a design flaw as you seem to indicate from your dealings with Ford service, why not seek legal counsel; especially if the Ford issue prevents you from using the RV?

At the very least, you should have contacted Ford directly (maybe you did) and asked to speak to a Regional Service Director about your problem and the inability to get it fixed at 6 dealerships.

There is a regular poster here..... Macdaddy. He bought a brand new Thor Hurricane and in a few hundred miles the V10 blew. Not Thor's fault.... just bad luck. He dealt with Ford and Ford replaced the engine under warranty.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I had an Expedition that would cutoff at highway speeds. Five dealers could not find the problem but each charged me for troubleshooting or something else. When I went into dealer six the Service Advisor said Expedition, F150 Chassis, F150 Service Bulletin and found the issue was a wire shorted to ground and fixed the issue free of charge. I had 5 Fords at the time and that dealer got all my service work going forward.