Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #2091
Catalog of Issues

Quality control would seem to be an issue at Thor. I've decided to create this thread as a running record of issues after meeting another Thor Super C owner in Las Vegas who had similar, but many more quality control issues.

His issues included a rear ladder that is so unfit for the task that after ascending to the roof one time, the ladder is now bent and drooping. I looked at ours and put a little weight on it and found it not to the task of a 200 lbs mans assent.

His other major issue is the trim piece along the bottom of the slid is completely loose and about to fall off.

OUR BUILD ISSUES:

WINDOWS AND SCREENS:

Screens do not fit the windows. There are gaps in fitment that allow bugs to enter.

The windows themselves whistle driving down the road and efforts to close them tight stripped the plastic window cranks.

EXTERIOR TV

No ability to play DVD's in it. Why isn't it wired to the dash DVD player as was the case with our last RV? It also has no swing mount and the volume isn't sufficient. It's not connected to the external speakers which would be very useful. We had to unmount it to connect an HDMI cord as there was no access without doing so.

Reception on all but the bunk mounted TV is fuzzy. Probably a loose connection.
REAR FENDERS

On our RV, we have several rear fender issues. First, the fenders were not properly installed. The passenger side hangs down and as such is not flush with the body work.

The front position, rear well installed splash guards rubbed on both sides. The tires cut grooves in and ultimately caught one which resulted in damage to one of the fender flairs. I removed them both to prevent further issue. The bracket was so flimsy that at road speed, it flexed allowing the splash guards to rub.

RUNNING BOARD

The passenger side running board has a manufacturing defect. An air bubble in the board has burs leaving a nickel sized hole.

DOOR WEATHERSTRIPPING
Droopy gasket that hangs out and is unsightly. Saw it on our rig and the other owners too.

INTERIOR CABINETS

Doors don't remain closed while traveling. We bought some rubber coated wire tires to use on the handles to keep them closed but without this intervention they would pop open and spill their contents. Same for master bedroom television cabinet.

FOLD UP/DOWN COUNTERTOP

Tore off going down the road. We found it was attached with two inch screws not up to the task of withstanding the shaking of travel. We re drilled the holes and put bolts in rather than screws.

REAR CAMERA

Both the side cameras and the rear camera were wired wrong such that they showed reverse images. The side cameras were repaired before the trip but the rear one wasn't identified as an issue until on the road. It's very confusing and dangerous to look at it and think the lane is clear when the image is reversed.

TRIM

Our corner trim has been repaired once and is once again coming off

LOCKS (Our Preference)

They are all fiddly, difficult to get the keys in but we had it with the external shower and the shoe box as we have come to call it. Swapped those out for thumb locks, our preference to make those immediately accessible.

I hope Thor monitors this forum. They would be smart to do so. Quality control at the factory is sub par. After meeting another owner on the road who had many many more problems than us, I took comfort in knowing that the majority of our issues were cosmetic in nature vs the other owner's issues that included a self leveling system that was inoperable.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Sorry to see all that. I just visited my local RV dealer with my phone in hand using your post as a checklist. All of the things that are messed up on yours are fine on the one on the lot.

I can imagine that the break on the running board is going to be hard to convince the service writer that it wasn't damaged.

The other stuff should be taken care of under warranty.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

THOR #2091
You checked the cameras and ladder?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #1169
Have the items fixed by a reputable shop, under warranty, and then go out and enjoy your rig.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Our Vegas is in for the 15th time for warranty QC issues. Spent about $600 back and forth to CW for repairs, and 1500 miles. They have it now for the 3rd AC/heater dashboard blower motor. Unbelievable extremely poor QC and execution of a well-designed coach.. Its a shame, since we really like driving the Vegas, and its size is perfect for maneuvering around campgrounds, parking lots, and on the highway. Especially after I had the front-end aligned, which was not done at the Thor factory. The handling is much better, now. I purchased a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and will install this once I get the coach back home. That should make the Vegas handle much more comfortably, and prevent a serious accident in the event of a front tire blowout.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 AM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #1754
I have a 2015 Chateau 33w. Had both rear front splash guards replaced on two different service visits. Had loose connection in front side motor fixed. Had loose molding repaired on doors. Had awning motor replaced. Had new brackets installed for window over sofa in passenger compartment due to failure. Replaced with three instead of two. Had to replace screen over hot water heater after original fell out while on the road. Had latches installed in the pantry door to keep it from coming open while driving. I had to replace the shore power cord because the original shorted out (my dime). I have been going to Total RV in Elkhart for service because they are near the factory. All of the issues other than the shore plug have been covered under warranty. I am happy with Total RV and will continue to drive the 200 miles to them for any service needs. On my last trip the window shade brackets on the rear window failed so I will make appointment to have those fixed. I am also experiencing an issue when trying to fuel the front tank. It takes a long time to fill it (22 gallon tank, I think). The good news is that Thor has stood behind their warranty. The bad news is what do I do after 12,000 miles. If Lexus ever builds an RV I will be the first one to buy it, even if I have to sail it from Japan.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
We just purchased a Chateau 35SK and have about 25 items on our punch list of things that need to be fixed. With regards to the locks on all class c motorhomes. everyone has a key!! I don't like the idea of the thumblocks which offer no security at all and I replaced all of our CH571 locks with barrel locks that are all keyed alike and they are non-key retaining. I just measured the length of the locks needed and ordered them from Padlocks 4 less.

Fred
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
I noticed the rear left side tire flap was rubbng on the tire. I didnt have anything to hold it into place.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #9

THOR #2366
Both of the front mud flaps on the rear wheel wells rubbed during the trip home. I contacted Thor and they said that the flaps aren't stiff enough and a brace needs to be added to keep them from flexing into the tire.

Fred
Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #10

THOR #1579
We purchased a used (5,100 miles) 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2. Had it about 8 months now and I am just about done finishing (AND FIXING) it for the factory....

NEVER have I seen such poor "manufacturing practices".

Great appearance, great layout and features, great FORD chassis....VERY poor execution.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 AM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdconner View Post
We purchased a used (5,100 miles) 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2. Had it about 8 months now and I am just about done finishing (AND FIXING) it for the factory....

NEVER have I seen such poor "manufacturing practices".

Great appearance, great layout and features, great FORD chassis....VERY poor execution.
I'll second that. Still working on the "finishing touches" <tic> with a punch list after every trip. Hope to mark all of them off by next trip.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

THOR #2366
Until it costs less to do it right, the RV manufacturers aren't going to improve quality. There are no strong lemon laws for RV's and the federal warranty act is not strong enough. Our DP had numerous issues that were never resolved. Our attorney told us we would win the case, but the manufacturer would drag it out for years and in the long run, only the attorney would really profit. We would also have to keep the unit until the suit was resolved.

Kinda wish Honda, Toyota or Subaru would make RV's. Maybe than the manufacturers would learn the same lesson as the auto makers and improve the quality of the RV's.

Fred
Old 04-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #13

State: Michigan
THOR #11113
Well interesting enough we’ve had a few issues. This is our 3rd outing. On our way back home from AZ we had to stop and zip tie our awning. We have no power to run it. Checked fuses, etc. Luckily hubby noticed it extending out about 6”. We’ve also gotten locked in several times due to entry door malfunctioning. We love the RV and bought it to travel back and forth. 6 days so far. Hopefully no more issues.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
We're in the midst of a "hatchet-fight" with our Dealership right now...
Trying to get our rig fixed, after it has spent the past (almost) six Months at the Dealers...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #15

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We're in the midst of a "hatchet-fight" with our Dealership right now...
Trying to get our rig fixed, after it has spent the past (almost) six Months at the Dealers...
Holy cow! 6 months at dealership? Can hand build one in that amount of time. Wondering, why that long?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
between waiting in line for our rig's spot in a service bay, and waiting for parts from Thor to arrive...

...And waiting for them to fix the stuff that they missed... and the new stuff that they broke...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote