Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17462
Removing / Filling Old Antenna

I've got this old antenna mount on the top of my RV and water leaks through it... anyone ever removed one of these and filled it in a way they thought worked really well?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That's not a 'fill' type hole that's a 'patch' type hole.
Remove the mechanism and patch entirely over the hole. A square of ever bond tape slathered over with roof adhesive will do it.
Make the patch considerably bigger than the hole. At least 4x4' of its a hf inch hole.

(I would also put a quarter or nickel or appropriate sized coin glued over the hole first, then patch. But that's just me.
Spend the nickel)

But
The cheap way is a coin glued to cover, then aluminum tape to cover the very clean surface.
There are boats fixed this way 30years ago that still don't leak.

Or
An expandable bilge plug and shoegoo will fix it for about a dollar.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #3

THOR #17462
What do you do to fill the area where there would be insulation / plywood (the complete depth of the hole)? Did I miss that. Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Jazz 2760 rl fifth
State: Oregon
THOR #18531
I would replace the antenna with one from a junk yard. Do they have those for RV parts? I love my power boosted antenna by Winegard! If you really must, I'd take off everything, clean thoroughly, stuff hole with insulation, then use a butyl-rubber product to glue on a piece of 1/2" plywood, that is about 4 inches in diameter and tapered down to very thin at the edges. Then use a flat-roofing mesh to cover 1 inch larger area, and apply about 3 coats of roofing compound. The raised area will make water leave this area!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #5

THOR #17462
Thanks!
Yeah I just completely re-painted / caulked the roof on this RV, so now I'll wade into this.

Re: If I really must... I mean... how many drips directly down on your buddy sleeping on the couch is "okay" ?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
$2.68 @ Lowe’s

Prime-Line-Wall-Protector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05569E0F-6E4F-40B0-9EAC-A8E365F9E688.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	23209  
Old 04-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #7

THOR #17462
Thanks everyone. I have a final solution.

It finally dawned on me what @ducksface was saying re: a small hole: If I just ripped off the top plastic, indeed there would be a small hole!

This is easily fillible with a bolt + pressure + sealant. So I went ahead and did the job this way. This way, the massive mounting plate which is not leaking and I just re-sealed a few months ago can stay put.

Thank you to everyone who had my back and contributed, you gave me the confidence to go ahead and get this job done. This was the "last" leak I have in my 24 year old rig, and so now we're getting ready for some great summer!
Old 04-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Thanks for an excellent follow up.
So few askers here think enough of us to bother with a follow up, but you did the follow up and supplied most excellent pictures as a bonus.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

THOR #17462

I have been on a bunch of forums in my years when I've had new motorcycles or boats or whatever, and I've helped a ton of people who were newbs and I know that anyone who takes the time to help me deserves the respect of a follow up.

I'm going to need all your guys help with my RV a lot here coming up because I'm so new to this, will probably be posting a lot, so I also wanna be a good community member for the long run
Old 04-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Jazz 2760 rl fifth
State: Oregon
THOR #18531
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHTP View Post
Thanks!
Yeah I just completely re-painted / caulked the roof on this RV, so now I'll wade into this.

Re: If I really must... I mean... how many drips directly down on your buddy sleeping on the couch is "okay" ?
Nice pictures. I guess free local TV was not a prime concern! And yes, lol, you turned a big job into a little one, thanks to tips from ducksface... Next, about nice round head carriage bolts you must learn, young Jedi! Don't tighten that bolt very much more than hand tight! And make it smooth and pretty for the wife, you must! Lololol
Old 04-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

THOR #17462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorJazzAndy View Post
Nice pictures. I guess free local TV was not a prime concern! And yes, lol, you turned a big job into a little one, thanks to tips from ducksface... Next, about nice round head carriage bolts you must learn, young Jedi! Don't tighten that bolt very much more than hand tight! And make it smooth and pretty for the wife, you must! Lololol
Epic, thanks for the tip on a round headed one, I wish I had it! But this worked fine. Now on to the next thing!