Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Removing jackknife sofa from 29h garage

Hi all out there. We're newbies with an Outlaw 29h. We travel with 3 big dogs and will be doing mostly dry camping. We would like to remove the 2 jackknife sofas in the rear and reconfigure that space so it's more flexible for us. Has anyone done that? I also read that some suggested replacing the 2 coach batteries with 4 golf cart batteries. As this is our first MH - any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I don't have an Outlaw but looked at them very carefully. The sofas are pretty easy to remove, they're just bolted in. If you remove the sofas put carriage bolts in the holes to plug them up.

If you have room for 4 golf cart batteries that is the way to go, you'll have a lot more juice for a much longer time, important if you plan to do any dry camping. The golf cart batteryare designed for repeated charge and discharge cycles, as long as you keep water levels up and don't discharge to deeply they will last a long time.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Thanks for the how-to on the jackknife sofa. I've read up on using golf cart batteries. Do I buy them & bring them to the service center & have them do the wiring?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
Thanks for the how-to on the jackknife sofa. I've read up on using golf cart batteries. Do I buy them & bring them to the service center & have them do the wiring?
If you aren't comfortable with doing the job then don't. One friend of mine thought 12v can't be that hard, wrong! He bought two new 12v batteries and decided to install them, he wired them in series instead of parallel, got 24v and burnt out almost every 12v device in his coach, fridge, heater, lights, fans. Very expensive mistake. It's ok to not do it yourself, you don't want to make a mistake like my friend. Also changing over to 4 6v batteries will take some retiring in the battery compartment.