Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Removing Slide Out Pantry

I want to temporarily remove our sliding pantry so I can run some wiring. I can't seem to figure out how it removes from the slides. It has two slides on the bottom and one on the side at the top. The top slide has a little catch you can release like most drawer slides. But the two on the bottom don't seem to have any obvious way to release them. Anyone successfully removed their pantry? And knows the procedure? Thanks

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #10354
Pantry removal

I also wanted to remove my pantry because it slides in and out during travel. I started taking out the shelves but stopped. I think that Thor installs this slide runner to the floor and then installs the pantry, with NO access to the slide from the bottom because there is just no clearance. I gave up the removal bur was able to install wiring behind the pantry by securing the wiring to a stick and then passing it behind the pantry and catching the wire on the other side...this was quite simple.

You could pull out the pantry by force and replace the broken rail when you are done with the wiring.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #3

THOR #7634
I did find this thread from 2016: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...oval-2469.html

Why they couldn't have made it easier is a mystery to me. But that is Thor for you.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I also wanted to remove my pantry because it slides in and out during travel. I started taking out the shelves but stopped. I think that Thor installs this slide runner to the floor and then installs the pantry, with NO access to the slide from the bottom because there is just no clearance. I gave up the removal bur was able to install wiring behind the pantry by securing the wiring to a stick and then passing it behind the pantry and catching the wire on the other side...this was quite simple.

You could pull out the pantry by force and replace the broken rail when you are done with the wiring.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

THOR #10354
Pantry removal

Read the referenced material but did not find any solution.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

THOR #7634
Quote:
Read the referenced material but did not find any solution.
The solution is to unscrew the pantry from the bottom rails. Looks like a real pain from what I can see.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I had to remove the Pantry drawer in my 2013 ACE 30.1 several years ago in order to run an AC cable behind (through) the pantry track for an inverter addition. You can obtain a pantry drawing from Thor, but the drawing I received did not help with any "secret" easy access releases. It was more like a dimensional drawing only. As I recall I had to carefully remove the construction staples which were holding down the lowest woodgrain trays on both sides of the pantry drawer (nearest the bottom slide track), in order to access some pantry drawer to track retention/stop screws. Once they were out I was able to pull the pantry drawer all the way straight out to gain access to the back wall of the coach and the pantry track back there. It has been a while but I think there was a hole through the track that I was able to safely run the Romex/Lumex cable through. Install was the reverse process. Sorry I did not take any pictures at the time. Of course your pantry release might be much easier than mine was.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 AM   #7

THOR #10354
A good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I had to remove the Pantry drawer in my 2013 ACE 30.1 several years ago in order to run an AC cable behind (through) the pantry track for an inverter addition. You can obtain a pantry drawing from Thor, but the drawing I received did not help with any "secret" easy access releases. It was more like a dimensional drawing only. As I recall I had to carefully remove the construction staples which were holding down the lowest woodgrain trays on both sides of the pantry drawer (nearest the bottom slide track), in order to access some pantry drawer to track retention/stop screws. Once they were out I was able to pull the pantry drawer all the way straight out to gain access to the back wall of the coach and the pantry track back there. It has been a while but I think there was a hole through the track that I was able to safely run the Romex/Lumex cable through. Install was the reverse process. Sorry I did not take any pictures at the time. Of course your pantry release might be much easier than mine was.
OK, I used the suction cup on a dash mounted camera and was able to "suck up" a thin piece of wood covering the bottom shelf of the pantry. That exposes a 3/4" x/34" stapled frame holding another baseboard that also has two phillips screws appearing to hold a metal piece below the baseboard. The metal piece might be the top rail of the sliding mechanism, I don't know. If I remove the screws I may never be able to reattach to the sliding rail. Any more info is appreciated.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 AM   #8

THOR #2631
Hi, response 2 attempt since the forum seems to drop logged in clients after a few minutes (while typing my response). Anyway, my Ace 30.1 is parked for Winter here but I checked and the pantry only has one side access not both sides as I mentioned in my original response. I also tried to see if I could easily lift the bottom pantry drawer shelf again for a picture but when I restored it a few years ago after my wiring job I had to use a brad nailer. I would likely destroy the thin shelf wood piece to lift it again. I am sure that was what I had to do to access the screws/plate preventing the drawer from totally coming out and off the lower rolling track. The top did not have any retaining hardware. You might have to take a chance on removing some screws to see if that is what your installation requires to remove the pantry drawer. Thor had to get it installed relatively simply somehow.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

THOR #7634
I called Thor CS yesterday and asked them how to remove the slide out pantry drawer. They sent me a drawing of the construction, but it was no help. Basically they were no help at all.

After reading the comments below, I took a very close look at the bottom shelf last night. It s firmly stapled down (why can't they use screws in these critical places). So a suction cup won't work to pull it up. I'll probably have to destroy the Luan bottom to get it out. Not a huge deal, I just hate to ruin something just to find out wasn't helpful. Wonder where I can find another piece of Luan to replace it. I'll update with more info as I proceed (with pictures).

Quote:
Hi, response 2 attempt since the forum seems to drop logged in clients after a few minutes (while typing my response). Anyway, my Ace 30.1 is parked for Winter here but I checked and the pantry only has one side access not both sides as I mentioned in my original response. I also tried to see if I could easily lift the bottom pantry drawer shelf again for a picture but when I restored it a few years ago after my wiring job I had to use a brad nailer. I would likely destroy the thin shelf wood piece to lift it again. I am sure that was what I had to do to access the screws/plate preventing the drawer from totally coming out and off the lower rolling track. The top did not have any retaining hardware. You might have to take a chance on removing some screws to see if that is what your installation requires to remove the pantry drawer. Thor had to get it installed relatively simply somehow.
Quote:
OK, I used the suction cup on a dash mounted camera and was able to "suck up" a thin piece of wood covering the bottom shelf of the pantry. That exposes a 3/4" x/34" stapled frame holding another baseboard that also has two phillips screws appearing to hold a metal piece below the baseboard. The metal piece might be the top rail of the sliding mechanism, I don't know. If I remove the screws I may never be able to reattach to the sliding rail. Any more info is appreciated.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #10

THOR #2631
Hi sorry that I can't remember what exactly was under that fake wood panel (luan) shelf that formed the bottom shelf of our ACE 30.1 pantry drawer. As I recall I used a standard paper staple remover (not the claw type but the kind with a single pointed end that gets under the staple and wedges it out as you push the remover into the staple). Once the staples were out I was able to carefully lift that very thin bottom wood shelf panel and expose what was underneath. I can't remember exactly what was there......it could be that the whole upper pantry was just screwed down onto the upper wood covered part of the pantry sliding metal track system. My pantry drawings seem to show that the upper metal sliding track piece has a wooden casing formed (like a U) over it. This would allow the pantry drawer uppers to screw down onto the wood covering the upper track piece. I can't remove this luan piece again to see underneath since it is brad nailed back in place.
Of course there is no guarantee that Thor used the same construction technique for different coaches. It will be interesting to hear and see what you find out.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #11

THOR #10354
Staples???

I believe that your boards were stapled down but the one in my 2017 Veags 25.2 was not stapled at all. The suction cup worked for me. I guess that is why I had no clue how to remove the board originally because I saw no securing staples and just assumed that had been secured some other way. The thin luan board had a perfect snug fit so I can see why no staples were need in my case. I wounder if it is left up to the installer to decide whether to use staples or not?? I am sure they would love to save a few staples to keep the BOM cost down! (hah hah).
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #12

THOR #7634
This evening I managed to pull up the bottom shelf luan piece without destroying it. One end had a gap I could get a little pry bar under and work it up pulling the staples. Here is what I found
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180417_162641035.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	9777

I pulled up one of the side rails and here is the result.

Name:	IMG_20180417_163203186.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	9778

So the floor of the bottom shelf apparently does not lead to pantry removal nirvana.

Underneath looking up at the two rails I can see 4 screws holding the slides to the bottom of the pantry. No room to put a screwdriver on them, so I'll get a flex shaft and hopefully can get them removed. I want to find the jerk at Thor who designed this.

Name:	IMG_20180417_164224912.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	9779
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 AM   #13

THOR #10354
Thutchis:

I have the 2017 Vegas 25.2 and my pantry gap between the linoleum floor and the bottom of the pantry is about 1/4". It's right on the floor with no clearance so mine must be mounted differently. The bottom track of mine must be mounted right on the floor so my only access is to remove the 2 phillips screws that seem to mount to a metal object right along the center path of the pantry bottom. I have not taken them out yet but when I do, I can probably remount the upper slide back to the bottom of the pantry and then slide it back into the floor mounted track.
I am only looking for a way to secure my pantry so that it does not slide in and out during travel. I could probably just use a "kid proof" latch of some kind without the need to even take out the pantry.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #14

THOR #7634
Thehobe1:

Quote:
I have the 2017 Vegas 25.2 and my pantry gap between the linoleum floor and the bottom of the pantry is about 1/4". It's right on the floor with no clearance so mine must be mounted differently.
Yes, there is a big difference. I have enough room between the floor and the pantry to fit my thick head underneath. If I can get one of these L Bit Screwdriver Extensions at my local hardware I think I can get the bottom slides unmounted. Remounting might be a real challenge.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #15

THOR #10354
Slide catch

Have you checked to see if the slide has a release lever (plastic) like the pull out drawers do? If there is one in your situation, you might be able to access it under the pantry bottom.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Your door slide appears to be exactly like those in my Tuscany. On the drawer side there are two skinny plastic release levers that you need to lift up or down to release the drawer. No dis-assembly is necessary. I find that doing one at a time works best. Sometimes they are a little bit hard to get to release but eventually do.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #17

THOR #2631
Hi again, well now I had to check out my 2013 ACE 30.1 Pantry again. I used the suction cup technique another poster suggested to lift up the lower pantry shelf and flip it on its side. This revealed four screws (can use a phillips or red robertson on them......they are tough to remove and re-install so I suggest a robertson - square drive). Once the screws are all out the Pantry upper unit will slide off the lower pantry track unit which has a wooden covering over the metal rail system. Reinstall taking care to try to get the 4 screws back into the same holes on the slider base. It might be worth marking where the pantry upper unit is in relation to the slide base before taking the screws out so you can get them back into the same position (as best as possible). Also I noted that when I ran wiring for my inverter I could not run it through the pantry track at the wall so I just looped it up and over......no issues closing the pantry doing so. I am attaching a few pictures and hopefully they help someone else. Note the blood on some shots.....damn mini staples were still in the bare wood runners from when Thor stapled down the thin shelf base.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #18

THOR #2631
I see pictures did not make it.......trying again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG Drawer bottom flipped up exposing 4 screws.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	9781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG Pantry Upper removed from Slide base.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	9782  

Name:	IMG Slide Pantry Upper off Track Base.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	9783  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #19

THOR #7634
javelin:

Quote:
Hi again, well now I had to check out my 2013 ACE 30.1 Pantry again.
Thanks so much for your very detailed reply along with the pictures. Your pictures revealed why I am not seeing the same solution as you got.

My slide out pantry in the Windsport 27K is between the refridgerator and the bedroom. Its about 5 feet tall and about 6" wide. So its completely different drawer.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #20

THOR #2631
Hi Tom, probably the taller pantry unit undergoes more weight stresses so they are probably more robust than an under counter pantry. Good luck with your efforts. At least my info might help the smaller coach folks.....and me if I have to do it again for some reason. (hope not).