Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #22733
Replace/ repair TV cable

Whats the best method to remove the stapled cabinet panels to access cables?
Recently purchased a 2013 Thor ACE 30.1, upon trying to setup the tiny dvd/tv lcd combo unit in the bedroom, I discovered the cable from behind the kitchen tv that runs to the back bedroom tv has a short in it, by using my cable tester, I replaced the ends and still the tester showed that the cable was shorted out, found the cable was in a bind where it comes out from the frigerator and behind the microwave. Need to remove the bottom panels in the cabinets to get the cable repaired or replaced, rather replace it. Trouble is I'm afraid I'll break the stapled bottom panels trying to remove them.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #2

State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well the lauan panels are pretty cheap and are easily damaged with just a skimpy surface coating of fake wood grain. Most panels are either pinned or mini stapled on and typically have a color match finish applied over the fasteners. On occasion I have used side cutters with protection between lauan panel and side cutter to grab and pry a staple for removal......but don’t recommend it unless you have a backup plan for restoration/repair. In some purpose built access panels there are actually robertson (square drive) screws used. I assume you have found, in the bedroom closet next to the bathroom, the access panel to the bedroom TV? Four screws to remove and it gives some access to the space behind the TV. I don’t know how the coax cable is run in the coach as I have never had to access them. Pulling drawers under the stove and fridge should give floor access but I am not sure the coax is run along the floor or behind the microwave space. Also note that the pantry drawer beside the sink can be totally removed if required to run cables etc along the floor/exterior wall, but it is a PIA. If you find your coax cable problem let us know how it runs and where the problem was. I am not sure if Thor coach documents for ACE show the coax cable runs in detail. I hope you enjoy your coach. We have had good luck so far with ours, purchased new in Sept 2012.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Not sure if this helps, but when I pulled the microwave out of our Vegas, there was a splitter back there with loose connections. Id try that before tearing out any cabinet panels.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

THOR #22733
When I cut the zip tie holding the cable in place behind the microwave, the cable was no longer in a bind, re-tested and shows good on my tester, so for now I'll use it as is, I see no way to remove the bottom cabinet panels without tearing them apart, wish they would have used small screws to secure the panels instead of those tiny staples that are buried in the panels. Now need to decide whether to keep the 12v Jensen tv in the kitchen cabinet or replace it with a newer model with Roku, anyone recommend a model that will work with the swing out bracket?
Old 05-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Glad you found your coax cable problem.

This may not help you much, but I replaced both original DC powered TV’s (Jensen in kitchen and Skyworth in the bedroom) with modern AC powered TVs (32” LG in Kitchen and 22” Samsung in bedroom) within a year or two of buying the coach. Both original TVs worked, but were junk IMO. The Jensen weighs a ton too so your gas mileage will go up when you dump that one (a “slight” exaggeration maybe). The Samsung TV has a nice feature of allowing adjustment of the picture angle so you can watch while basically laying down. I purchased a separate DVD player.

As I recall I just bought cheap standard low profile mounting bracket systems for both TVs and installed for best fit with some modification, as required.

On our coach the original bedroom TV was direct DC connected by Thor factory, by cutting off the DC connector from the TV adapter (they threw the adapter away as we never got it) and then splicing it into the coach 12vdc wiring. For the new AC powered TV there was a 120VAC receptacle (no cover plate) already located in the wall space behind the bedroom TV mounting location which was accessible via an access panel (4 screw removable) on left side of the clothes closet on the bathroom side. The new LG in the kitchen does not totally cover the swing arm TV mounting space like the original Jensen did, but it is much better quality. Just check all your dimensions before buying some new TVs and check for the AC receptacle existence in the bedroom if you want to convert that one too. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 AM   #6

THOR #22733
Thanks Javelin, I have already replaced the back bedroom tv/dvd 12v tv with a regular 120v lcd and put a Roku streambar in the cubby below it, really like the Roku streambar. I'm still debating on the 12v Jensen in the kitchen area, will most likely replace it with a newer AC lcd tv at some point. Would like to put a Roku streambar on it as well, but since its the older 12v Jensen LED tv , it doesn't have a HDMI (ARC) input, or a optical output, so the streambar would't be fully functional with it. Did your coach come with a video switch box? The previous owner on mine had all the wires behind the kitchen tv receptacle/ antenna amplifier pulled out along with the panel with the receptacle and amplifier laying in the bottom of the cabinet, but there was no video switch box. I suspect he was looking for the reason the back bedroom tv cable was shorted out.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 AM   #7

THOR #2631
Well there was no video switch box or inverter provided in our ACE when it was new and the electronics that was included was low end Jensen etc. (Manufacturing profit margins - some things never change). Amazingly we still have the Jensen dash radio and it still works.......lots of failures of those on the forum over the years. I keep the Jensen radio screen clock off always so when radio is off the screen is too. Not sure of that makes a difference. No fancy touch screens or remote controls on this coach.....kind of like the old manual switches etc. Sounds like you have started upgrading your coach already and that is part of the fun. Enjoy your home on wheels and happy camping.