Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #26779
2016 Axis 25.2 - BIRD / Trombetta resolved

Just a quick thank you post - This is our first RV - I'm having a mid-life crisis and see the window closing with ours kids. We only have four to five more years before they won't want to hang our with us anymore. I've had travel trailers, boats, SxS, etc, but never a RV. We were blessed with a 2016 25.2, absolutely love it and working on fixing a few things. Top of the list was the chassis battery dying when plugged into shore power. I read, on this forum, about the BIRD and trombetta system. My setup was wired incorrectly from the factory because the PO would keep a batter charger on the chassis battery. The factory had spliced the red wire, from the bird, into a yellow wire that ran to the trombetta post - chassis side. Not coach battery side. Therefore the trombetta would never close on shore power and the chassis battery would eventually die. I swapped posts and just checked on it; The chassis battery was at 12.9v, opposed to 12.0 last night. Thanks forum, hope to see you all on the road.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:10 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome! We bought a new 2016 25.2 in 2015 and enjoyed a lot of miles and nights in it. Just traded it last fall for a Hurricane.

If you haven't already done it, download Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Vegas and Axis from the forum under Tech Topics. There are some great threads about modifications here on the forum, too
Old 08-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #3

Model: Axis
State: North Carolina
THOR #3400
I've had the same issue since day one (Jan 2016) when you say you switched posts what exactly do you mean? when looking at the trombetta from outside, on the right large post is a large red cable & a small yellow wire. On the left large post is only a large red cable. Then a white small wire in the rear & a small 2 color in the front. What did you switch?
thx
Old 01-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #29745
any chance you could post a pic of the wiring you have now? I think I have the same problem but would like to verify the wires 1st

thanks so much!
Old 01-21-2024, 08:48 PM   #5

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungclassA View Post
Just a quick thank you post - This is our first RV - I'm having a mid-life crisis and see the window closing with ours kids. We only have four to five more years before they won't want to hang our with us anymore. I've had travel trailers, boats, SxS, etc, but never a RV. We were blessed with a 2016 25.2, absolutely love it and working on fixing a few things. Top of the list was the chassis battery dying when plugged into shore power. I read, on this forum, about the BIRD and trombetta system. My setup was wired incorrectly from the factory because the PO would keep a batter charger on the chassis battery. The factory had spliced the red wire, from the bird, into a yellow wire that ran to the trombetta post - chassis side. Not coach battery side. Therefore the trombetta would never close on shore power and the chassis battery would eventually die. I swapped posts and just checked on it; The chassis battery was at 12.9v, opposed to 12.0 last night. Thanks forum, hope to see you all on the road.
Not sure this will help, but after I moved my electrics and batteries up inside, I also added a NOCO hardwire 2A trickle charger and wired to the Tellaro's trombetta so my chassis battery would stay alive. It would die in less than 2 weeks otherwise. So when plugged into shoreline at home, I can just switch on and it send a trickle charge to the chassis battery. I only use when stored for longer than 3-4 days, or between trips. Phantom drain on the chassis battery is pretty high in the Promaster.
I removed the outlet on the outside and made it a switchbox, added a dedicated outlet inside the new compartment and plugged the NOCO into that. Wired to battery B+ side (lower post in pic- verified by testing for voltage against ground) of trombetta and B- ground buss bar.
Large wire (last pic) on top of Trombetta goes to B+ buss bar for e-start function.

Works like a charm to keep chassis battery fully charged.
When winterized and house batteries removed, I have another NOCO 2A charger that I connect to the jumper posts and plug into a 20A outlet nearby, since I am not on shoreline power then. Too cold in VT to store batteries, even at 50%. The plan for that one is to add a 20A Marinco plug somewhere on the outer trim, and mount the Noco inside and hardwire to the jumper posts, so all I have to do is plug in an extension cord.

I did that on my utility tractor as well- handy to just plug in like the old days when I had frost plug heaters on my diesel and gas cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trickle done.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	44822   Click image for larger version

Name:	trickler charger in.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	44823  

Name:	IMG_8148.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	44824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8155.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	44825  

Name:	20L wiring, ReLion.png
Views:	10
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	44826   Click image for larger version

Name:	26-trombetta&fuses.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	44827  

Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:01 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #3400
Sorry, I sold the motorhome 2 yrs ago............but if you search the thread you might find a picture from the individual that showed me........summer/fall of 2022........good luck