Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: Indiana
THOR #11486
peeling paint on front bumper

We purchased our Synergy in April which has a full body paint job. During our second long trip this summer we noticed several areas of peeling paint on the front bumper. My brother works in the automotive paint industry and he told me it looks like poor paint adhesion to him which sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Our dealer, who has been very responsive to our other warranty issues called me today and told me that Thor is refusing to fix this under warranty due to the fact that the defects were not noted on the inspection at delivery. I was told that I could call Thor and express my concerns to them. Any advice as to how I should approach Thor with this issue. I have attached a photo. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_163550.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	13614  

Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Paint

Just confirming that picture is the front bumper of the MB sprinter chassis right?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

THOR #11486
You are correct. We drove through lots of bugs one evening so that's the "gunk" you also see on the bumper.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I thought the full body paint job came with the invisible front paint protection. Is it the paint protection that is coming off?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

THOR #11486
I'm not aware of the protective layer you are referring to. The material that is peeling off is the color of the unit. There is a darker layer (?primer) underneath.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeier View Post
Our dealer, who has been very responsive to our other warranty issues called me today and told me that Thor is refusing to fix this under warranty due to the fact that the defects were not noted on the inspection at delivery.
This is just typically another excuse a manufacturer (or dealer) uses to try and get out of warrantying an issue. How the heck are you supposed to "note this during the or at the inspection" when it isn't apparent until after being driven with wind/rain and who knows what else hitting it?? I am familiar with paint fairly well, having worked in the auto parts field and selling paint to body shops and it's likely the problem is as your brother mentions. Anytime you paint plastic, fiberglass or even metal, you have to use the correct products UNDER the paint such as adhesion promoters, sealers, primers, etc. I won't get into the details because there are so many different types of paint (lacquer, enamel, base coat, etc.) which require different methods. I can tell you straight up, when paint peels like what's shown in your pictures, it isn't "normal" and is caused by poor paint techniques/products. I'd raise a stink like none other with THOR and even threaten a lawsuit if necessary. To pay so much for a MH and have this happen so soon is UNACCEPTABLE, PERIOD. The bugs and dings are to be expected but not to have paint peeling like this. Just hope the rest of the MH doesn't do something similar. Years back, GM had a problem with the clear coat coming off some of their vehicles, they would warranty them IF you reported the problem. I wouldn't roll over on this one.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeier View Post
I'm not aware of the protective layer you are referring to. The material that is peeling off is the color of the unit. There is a darker layer (?primer) underneath.
I do not know what they used for it and what advances they have done in this area. (Diamond Shield, Armorcoat, etc.) I guess my point is if you paid for invisible front paint protection, then obviously it is not working and should be warranty. If your not aware of this feature you purchased do a search for it.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
50/50 chance your dealer never called Thor.

This is obviously a defect in material and workmanship and should be covered by the standard 1 year MH warranty.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Ted is correct...always call Thor FIRST...then go to service center or dealers. This is a surface prep failure and should be covered under warranty. Can you contact the company that painted it for Thor? They farm out most of their paint stuff.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #10

THOR #11486
I appreciate everyone's responses. I wasn't aware that I should contact Thor first. I'll do that tomorrow and will keep you all posted.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #11

THOR #11486
Smile paint warranty claim approved

Well, I'm not sure exactly how this happened but before I had a chance to call Thor Customer service the day after my last post, I received a call from the service department at our dealership, Total Value RV in Elkhart, telling me that they were going to resubmit our claim to Thor. Almost simultaneously, my husband received a call from Thor telling him that the claim was approved, pending agreement from Thor’s painting subcontractor. Yesterday, I heard from Susan, the service rep from Total Value, letting me know that our Synergy was at the painting facility in Elkhart. She expects to be able to finish the rest of our work next week.

There is no question that my husband and I are disappointed in the quality of Thor’s workmanship, however, I have to say that I am very pleased with the quality of the work of the service department of Total Value RV. All told we have had at over 20 warranty issues that they have fixed, from a leaky skylight, broken drawer latches and exterior locks, rattles, multiple areas of loose interior trim, misplaced recliner seats, leaky shore plug, delamination of the vinyl flooring, etc,etc. I have always found Susan to be responsive, understanding, honest and able to deliver what she has promised.

I’m also really grateful for what I ’ve learned from this forum. We took two trips this summer, one to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota and the other all the way out to Sun Valley, Idaho and had an absolute blast. We inspexted the unit carefully after each trip and made lists of what needed to be fixed at the appointments we had previously made for service after each trip. The unit is going into storage as soon as we get it back, but it’s coming out again next spring for a trip before it goes out of warranty in April.

We are not going to let the difficulties we’ve had ruin the fun we plan on having with our Synergy. I guess it's just the cost of doing business. Thanks again to everyone who makes the effort to post about their experiences.