Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Ohio
THOR #9014
Replacement ENGINE battery for 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4

I have a dead engine battery on my 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4. I started a new thread previously titled "dead battery" to find out what type battery that was. I am hoping a new title gets me an answer.

I am plugged into electric at an RV Park. I am not capable of removing the passenger side tire to get to the battery. I found the battery at the front of the engine and can not see farther than the side of the battery. Thor is closed (due to holiday?) Any manuals I have, chassis and engine, do not tell me the type of battery needed.

Roadside assistance needs to know what type of replacement battery is needed.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You don't have to remove the tire/wheel. Some have been able to take the battery out by turning the wheel to give you access.

Thor's recommended method is to remove the passenger desk (flip it open and remove the rubber "cups" there are some screws. Unscrew the screws and the desk will lift out. The wood is perforated below that.

There these threads on that subject:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...oval-3028.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ise-10915.html
This one has pictures:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ment-5903.html

As far as the type: It's just a standard 12V car battery for an E-350 or E-450 chassis (I haven't replaced ours yet so I don't know the exact size--some have already on here--see above threads for more).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

THOR #9014
I sense I should not even own one of these due to my lack of knowledge. Your answer has helped me alot. Could I have left the cells on the battery go dry, and thereby killed it, or should I try to fill it with distilled water with the kit and pump you suggested in your answer?
Old 12-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Ah but you are quickly filling that void of knowledge.

The kit in one of the threads is a good idea for ease of maintenance if you plan on keeping the coach. Not sure I would pick one up in an emergency if you don't know if the cells are dry or not.

You'd be better off putting a battery disconnect on--but that is a preventative measure that wouldn't help you in your current situation.

Now that you know where the battery is and how to get access I think I would try to jump it from another battery or vehicle. If the coach isn't plugged in then it would be pretty easy to jumpstart the generator via the house battery(ies) in the step, let that run a while and see if you can get the emergency start button to work (remember you have to hold it down while cranking).

I'd suggest you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual (some of this is included in that) found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

THOR #9014
You are so patient and kind. (Wish you were here). I will try to jump the generator when it gets lighter outside. I will see if I can remove the computer desk, maybe fill the battery cells from there if possible and if needed. I will download the manual, if not today, another day. The battery in my wifi hotspot device "broke", and I can't get service hooked up until maybe Monday or Wednesday, so I am using the campground systems. Also, there is a toggle switch for use/store. Is that what you mean by "disconnect switch"? Bless you, by any diety that is available.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazahora View Post
You are so patient and kind. (Wish you were here). I will try to jump the generator when it gets lighter outside. I will see if I can remove the computer desk, maybe fill the battery cells from there if possible and if needed. I will download the manual, if not today, another day. The battery in my wifi hotspot device "broke", and I can't get service hooked up until maybe Monday or Wednesday, so I am using the campground systems. Also, there is a toggle switch for use/store. Is that what you mean by "disconnect switch"? Bless you, by any diety that is available.
Well the use/store switch is supposed to disconnect the house battery but it doesn't disconnect everything. I put a Knife disconnect (Amazon) on our chassis battery under the hood and a Marine type one (Amazon as well) under the steps. When we store our camper both are turned off (no plug at our storage lot).

It looks like you have a reply with a specific battery type in your other thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tml#post159062
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would not mess around with the old battery anymore if it was mine. I would replace it with a AGM.

You might get it to work ok now but it will let you down again very soon and you will have to do all this work over again.

Just replace with a new AGM and install a knife switch like sugguest above.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #8

THOR #9014
Thanks all for responding

The starter engine has been replaced, a 12 volt marine battery. It was a 2 man job. I could not have done this myself. One needs to be a contortionist to remove the battery. I also learned I need to start the engine once every two weeks for the battery and to keep the oil in the engine circulating. The cells in the battery were not completely dry, so it might have been an old battery. Another lesson learned.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:07 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Just to up the thread. By the stamped date, the OEM chassis battery gave up exactly 36 months and 2 weeks from new. The size for the E-450 Axis/Vegas is 65. In these days of Covid the AGM option is way back ordered. Now to yank it out thru the dash.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead battery, replace engine battery