Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22435
Replacing batteries but need to check converter output

The house batteries on my ACE 29.2 are 3 years old and are sitting at 3 volts even though I am connected to shore power and they were working fine a month or so ago. I know they need to be replaced, but with the voltage being so low I am concerned they are not receiving proper charging from the converter. All 12v lights and accessories work fine on shore power so the converter itself seems to be working and the battery disconnect switch is in the use position. If I push it to store there is no loud click like normal.

My question is how can I confirm a 12 charge from the converter is making it to the house batteries? I don’t want to buy new ones and ruin them.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Get out your VOM and check at your BIM/BIRD voltages

Voltage should be the same at the battery connection as leaving the converter

My inverter has a separate charge button, but I am not sure if your converter does.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

THOR #22435
Still looking for the bim/bird, but I found the trombetta (I think) near the house batteries. On the left connectors the voltage is 2.9v, same as the batteries. On the right side it is 12.22v. That is on shore power, engine off and battery disconnect set to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	36631  
Old 03-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
The use,store latching relay uses the voltage from the coach batteries to latch,unlatch. Three volts probably isn’t enough to operate the relay.

Start your coach and see if the engine. See if the voltage rises on the coach batteries. Then see if the use,store clicks and leave it in use while on shore power.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #5

THOR #22435
I believe this is my BIRD which is by Intellitec. I am not sure how to check the voltage because the unit is sealed and the wires run off in to a wire loom. Here is a better picture of the trombetta too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Get out your VOM and check at your BIM/BIRD voltages

Voltage should be the same at the battery connection as leaving the converter

My inverter has a separate charge button, but I am not sure if your converter does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	36636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	36637  

Old 03-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #6

THOR #22435
I started the coach and the store/use switch started working and clicking again. I then went out and checked the batteries and they were over 13v on shore power or with the engine running and over 12v on battery power alone though it seemed they were draining quickly with just the interior lights on. I know how to use the multi-meter and they were reading just under 3v previously so this is very bizarre. Maybe the latch just got bumped and I didn't notice until they were completely discharged.

The reason I notice the issue in the first place is the generator would not start, but once the use switch re-latched it fired right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
The use,store latching relay uses the voltage from the coach batteries to latch,unlatch. Three volts probably isn’t enough to operate the relay.

Start your coach and see if the engine. See if the voltage rises on the coach batteries. Then see if the use,store clicks and leave it in use while on shore power.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Sounds like your on the right track

Another voltage check after a day charging

Battery water ok?
Old 03-26-2022, 08:00 PM   #8

THOR #22435
Ill check the water. Its been a few months. And Ill keep an eye on the voltage. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Sounds like your on the right track

Another voltage check after a day charging

Battery water ok?
Old 03-26-2022, 10:48 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Rv,
On the trombetta there is minimal amount of volts there. One side of the trombetta should read equal to your chassis batteries and the other side should be equal to the house batteries plus or minus a few tenths. When store switch off. Turn on store switch, house batteries should start charging. If chassis batteries are low 12.8 or so, the shore power should start charging them also.
Use the aux start button, have someone stand by the trombetta to listen for the clunk.clunk good.
The solenoid for the store switch also should make that noise if good.
Draw down house battery and disconnect from all power, start engine, within a minute or so the trombetta should clunk, thus your alternator would be charging all batteries.

Make sure all connections at the 2 solenoids are clean. Dirty connection could be your problem.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest View Post
I started the coach and the store/use switch started working and clicking again. I then went out and checked the batteries and they were over 13v on shore power or with the engine running and over 12v on battery power alone though it seemed they were draining quickly with just the interior lights on. I know how to use the multi-meter and they were reading just under 3v previously so this is very bizarre. Maybe the latch just got bumped and I didn't notice until they were completely discharged.

The reason I notice the issue in the first place is the generator would not start, but once the use switch re-latched it fired right up.
Not bizarre. You thought the USE/STORE was in USE - it was not and with the house batteries at 3 VDC it would not switch the state of the latching relay to USE until toy got 12+ VDC to the house batteries through the Trombetta relay (controlled by the BIRD) when you ran the engine. But it takes hours of running the engine or being on SP for the house batteries to be substantially charged, that's why they "drained quickly". As mentioned above, check the batteries' water level and charge them overnight before evaluating how well they have survived this episode.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote