Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #9227
Lithium Batteries

We have a Thor Vegas 24.1 and we went with three Battleborn 100Ah lithium batteries, Victron 3000 watt inverter charger and victron 712 battery monitor. This runs things pretty well. We still use gas for the refrigerator if not plugged in to shore power but all outlets are usable anytime as well as lights and television. We are looking to add solar soon.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Just changed out our house batteries-standard 6volt wired in series. $185 each x4 from General RV (the originals have been weak from the date of purchase and I am negotiating a refund).
GVP

If under warranty they will give you $65
Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
'low voltage' for the leveling system is a pretty 'standard'/common occurrence for many of us, and really doesn't mean a whole lot. If you let the coach remain running for a few moments, the alert will then go off. If you go into MANUAL mode, then it overrides any such alert and you can do exactly as you wish, weather extending them, or retracting them.

as for the 'house batteries', it's doubtful you have any real issue, so unless you are off-grid a lot and are really noticing a very small time that the batteries will support your usage, I wouldn't worry with it. Yes, your 50amp shore power will certainly keep the batteries charged, maintained, and should be no problem, but really ANY electrical outlet of any size will do the same.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Batteries.

I have no problem with what I call the "Coach Batteries". I just keep them charging by hooking up to my residence power when docked.

But I do have a question about the vehicle battery under the hood. I have a Thor Vegas and needed to charge the battery up when opening up for the season. HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE POSITION OF THE BATTERY? How in the world would you replace that battery? It is in a ridiculous position. It looks like you have to remove the AC tubing in order to get to it and then you have about 4 inches to lift it up and pull it out.

Alajeu
Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 AM   #25

State: California
THOR #19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
If plugged in to shore power & batteries not charging it sounds like the battery disconnect in set to "store" the batteries will not charge in this setting, turn it to "use" then give it a day or two, once fully charged then check the water levels.
To check the water levels you may need a flat screwdriver to pry the caps off, some simply need a quarter turn then lift off, then use a flashlight to see into each cell & top off with distilled water only.
On my Thor Quantum the main kill button was pushed by one of our grandsons and suddenly the batteries would not charge, that took a while because the red light is on no matter what position it is in.

We did replace our batteries with Interstate size 31 AGM because the water was hard to add and 6 volt batteries would not fit.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #2228
Reprogram the leveler keypad.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #27

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
We have a Thor Vegas 24.1 and we went with three Battleborn 100Ah lithium batteries, Victron 3000 watt inverter charger and victron 712 battery monitor. This runs things pretty well. We still use gas for the refrigerator if not plugged in to shore power but all outlets are usable anytime as well as lights and television. We are looking to add solar soon.
where/how are the 3 batteries mounted in your 24.1? photos if you have them plz.

does your 3000 watt inverter have an auto transfer switch so that plug-in or generator power over-rides the inverter?

you will love solar, it makes boon-docking a breeze.

and...welcome to the Forum!
Old 07-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're looking at a pair of LIfeline 12 volt AGMs for our RV right now...
My question: their size 31 is pretty comparable ti the 27s that I've got in place right now.
Other than the #100 dollar difference in price: is there any reason to NOT upgrade to the larger batteries?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #3430
House batteries

House batteries are commonly 12v wired in parallel. With this kind of a hook up the weakest battery drains the best battery. It is far better to use 6 V batteries wired in series. this way there is no current loop draining the cells. 6 V golf cart batteries are deep cycle and work very well if you can fit them in.6 V golf cart batteries are deep cycle and work very well if you can fit them in.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #30

THOR #19337
Yes, if you can fit 6 V that is great. Otherwise the biggest 12 V you can fit. Also consider cost. It also depends on if you are always hooked up to power or you are dry camping.

Lithium batteries are very expensive and also may require a new battery charger. Like 6 V they tend to be taller and may not fit.

Tags
batteries, error codes, lithium ion