Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Replacing house batteries on Thor Axis 24.1

My RV is in storage out in the desert about a 30 mile round-trip from me and I know the batteries have given up the ghost. I'm hoping someone can save me a trip just to get the specific battery configuration so I can shop for new ones.

Can anyone tell me the "battery group" - the dimensions for the two deep-cycle batteries located under the step?

Follow-up questions...

Suggestions for best source to buy replacements in the Tucson area - Costco Batteries Plus, others?

Other than turning off the battery switch and watching for the generator circuit breaker in the battery compartment... and remembering that obscure little button in the electrical box in the compartment under the driver's seat (that's the culprit that caused the eventual battery death in the first place!)
and being careful to remove and replace all the cables correctly - any special tips about replacing these batteries? Frankly, the last time I did this was in a Batteries Plus lot and the guy just came out and put them in for us while we chilled. I have some mobility issues, so I'm hoping to do as much of the work from my recliner as I can before getting my tools out to work on this out in the desert in our 100 degree weather...

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Old 10-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

THOR #2667
and furthermore!

I was having some trouble navigating this site... but since posting I found the search and have read most of a 4 page posting on batteries from August... so...

seems like I'm trying to find out if I'm looking for 27s or 24s... anybody know for sure for the Axis 24.1?

I've seen a lot of comments about best places to buy but I'm still open to suggestions - I'll be doing a standard flooded battery as we are not frequent users anymore...

Still open to tips/advice to make changing the batteries easier...
Old 10-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Two Group 27s will fit easily and have a bit more capacity that the 24s that are normally delivered.

Here are the overall dimensions inside the box, excluding the narrower opening: 27"W X 9"H X 10" deep. The deep dimension leaves no room for the terminals so your battery needs to be less than that and you need to put an insulator above it. Also it will be difficult to work two 13" long batteries (Group 31s) inside that smaller opening without cutting it a bit.

David
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Here is what I did a couple of years ago. Still going strong and zero maintance.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ies-13036.html
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Costco has Interstate Flooded Lead Acid Deep Cycle (what I purchased two yrs ago as replacement)
Sams Club has Duracell of same.
Both sell for about $80 each
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B21CCF5-5E52-4815-B667-8365006DA13F.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	26434  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:01 AM   #6

THOR #2667
Thanks everybody!

I ended up buying the batteries at Walmart - a pair of 27s. I was able to do it in one trip... marked all the leads as I removed them... and was surprised to find that tightening the tie-down straps was the hardest part... the clips are hard to juggle into their grooves while maneuvering the battery... and then the buckle of the strap is in a narrow space and hard to get fingers on... not hard, just lots of putzing around, complicated by it being 100 degrees and my oxygen concentrator overheating.

But thanks - the 27s fit just fine and everything is operational. Now my next project is to bring the rig to my home and work on that ridiculous issue of cutting a hole in my dashboard to get at the engine battery!