Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #6598
Replacing Original Batteries-Any Suggestions?

I'm replacing my 2 original Class C Coach batteries and considering Renology AGM 12V 100amp/10hr. batteries. Any thoughts on this battery or any recommendations on replacement of my original batteries? I'm not interested in Lithium or Flooded Lead Acid. I reside in Phoenix, AZ & San Diego in Summer (June-Aug.) so I do need to batteries to withstand the heat as Coach is stored outdoors when not in use. Thanx for any thoughts & suggestions.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:05 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Summer of 2021 I replaced my coach batteries with 2 12V AGMs from Batteries Plus. I didn't get a great deal, but they had two in stock. All the other places around me had to order them and it would take from days to weeks to get them. I figured since most batteries are made by just a few manufacturers in China it didn't really matter. So I bought from someplace with wide warranty support.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Take a gander at my post in this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ems-32688.html

Put labels on all connections
Take good pictures of the original installation
Unplug from SP
Remove chassis battery ground first - install it last
Remove the original house battery by disconnecting the ground side first and reconnecting last.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Two 100 amp hour AGM batteries, usually in Group 31 size, are a great choice to upgrade your house batteries. I did that two years ago with WindyNation batteries which are similar to the Renogy AGMs and it worked great. Make sure that they fit because they are longer than G27s at 13" each.

David
Old 10-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Replaced 6 year old oem batteries with Walmart deep cycle. Old ones now used om boat for starting and trolling.

Rarely do we go withoit SP or external generator so the closest we get to boomdocking is overnight im cool/cold weather.

Everybody different so I guess my point is get what meets your present and future needs in terms of capacity/expense.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #6

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Replaced 6 year old oem batteries with Walmart deep cycle. Old ones now used om boat for starting and trolling.

Rarely do we go withoit SP or external generator so the closest we get to boomdocking is overnight im cool/cold weather.

Everybody different so I guess my point is get what meets your present and future needs in terms of capacity/expense.
Thank you
Old 10-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Kieffer View Post
.... any recommendations on replacement of my original batteries?
I took my original 2 flooded batteries off and installed 3 VMax Tanks 110ah AGMs this year.
They are really good.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:04 PM   #8

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I took my original 2 flooded batteries off and installed 3 VMax Tanks 110ah AGMs this year.
They are really good.
Did you have to make any adjustments to your Inverter or Converter when you changed over? I'm concerned that when I go from Flooded Batteries to AGM Batteries specifically the Renogy 12 V 100Ah 20 Hr. that I may or maynot have to make adjustments to my Inverter or Converter? I have a 2018 Thor Quantum PD-31 that I'm changing out the original wet cell batteries.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Did you have to make any adjustments to your Inverter or Converter when you changed over? I'm concerned that when I go from Flooded Batteries to AGM Batteries specifically the Renogy 12 V 100Ah 20 Hr. that I may or maynot have to make adjustments to my Inverter or Converter? I have a 2018 Thor Quantum PD-31 that I'm changing out the original wet cell batteries.
Not on the converter for the conv. manual says it is already set for both (flooded and AGMs) but I did have to change the battery type set up solar charge controller (Renogy), which was pretty easy to do.
Nothing to do on the inverter.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:21 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
A Converter coverts the 120 volts from shore power or the genny to 12 volts to power most of the lights, overhead vent fans, furnace fan, circuit boards on fridge & furnace plus it charges batteries.
An inverter provides ac from your 12 volt batteries to power certain outlets in an rv for such things as residential fridge & TVs
Two distinctly different animals. Lots of RV's don't have Inverters, but all have a Converter.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:28 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
A Converter coverts the 120 volts from shore power or the genny to 12 volts to power most of the lights, overhead vent fans, furnace fan, circuit boards on fridge & furnace plus it charges batteries.
An inverter provides ac from your 12 volt batteries to power certain outlets in an rv for such things as residential fridge & TVs
Two distinctly different animals. Lots of RV's don't have Inverters, but all have a Converter.
Unless they have an Inverter/Charger combo unit - then no converter.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:29 PM   #12

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
So convertering from 12V wet cell batteries to 12V AGM batteries means there is no need to do any upgrade or changes to my system. Just drop the new AGM batteries in connect and that's it? I'll make sure the 2 Renogy 12V 100Ah 20 Hr. batteries will fit before I purchase them.Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:35 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So converting from 12V wet cell batteries to 12V AGM batteries means there is no need to do any upgrade or changes to my system. Just drop the new AGM batteries in connect and that's it? I'll make sure the 2 Renogy 12V 100Ah 20 Hr. batteries will fit before I purchase them. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
You got it!
Old 10-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #14

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Unless they have an Inverter/Charger combo unit - then no converter.
It appears I have a 1800 Watt Inverter and a 55 Amp Converter according to the 2018 Thor Quantum PD31 120V;30A Power Diagram.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Take a gander at my post in this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ems-32688.html

Put labels on all connections
Take good pictures of the original installation
Unplug from SP
Remove chassis battery ground first - install it last
Remove the original house battery by disconnecting the ground side first and reconnecting last.
Right on without labels and pictures I would have been screwed!
Old 10-31-2022, 08:17 PM   #16

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Right on without labels and pictures I would have been screwed!
I've removed the batteries before and did at that time just as you say, take pics and label all wiring. Good advise & thanks for reminding me.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:22 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
It appears I have a 1800 Watt Inverter and a 55 Amp Converter according to the 2018 Thor Quantum PD31 120V;30A Power Diagram.
I'd make sure that's what your coach has, there are several items listed on my schematics that do not exist in my coach... and they aren't noted as 'optional'... specs subject to change and all.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:45 PM   #18

THOR #6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
I'd make sure that's what your coach has, there are several items listed on my schematics that do not exist in my coach... and they aren't noted as 'optional'... specs subject to change and all.
I Know I have the Converter as I've seen it in my storage compartment. I'll look again and see if it's located in the same compartment. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:15 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I Know I have the Converter as I've seen it in my storage compartment. I'll look again and see if it's located in the same compartment. Thanks for the heads up.
Converters are in, or right next to your Power Panel - the one with the AC breakers and DC fuses. It is NOT in a storage compartment.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:30 PM   #20

THOR #6598
Quote:
Converters are in, or right next to your Power Panel - the one with the AC breakers and DC fuses. It is NOT in a storage compartment.
I'll take some pictures and post and you can tell me what you see. Thanks