Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Rhode Island
THOR #15402
Cool Replacing V Roller on Schwintek system

Greetings all,

Picked up a 2017 Hurricane 34J last month and have had all the issues you usually hear about. I am not new to RVs and fully expect issues when you travel. I think they are engineered in so that we can still feel like we are useful fixing things even when we aren't home....

With that said, the full wall slide has been an issue since day 1. The current issue that is beyond my working knowledge is that the front lower v roller (and bearing block that it is attached to) has started to twist downward a little, this in turn has forced the V roller inward toward the block and started to tilt the lower track out from under the edge of the bottom of the slide (if you can picture all that).

I have searched with no luck on video of someone actually removing this system from the rig. I don't really want to do the work but all the shops around me are now booking large work for the off season and I would rather not spend all summer with the slide in if it can be avoided.

Has anyone ever personally replaced a V roller, or track? Does the slide have to be removed or can the outer trim pieces etc be removed to take out the components from the exterior of the RV with the slide intact?

Any links, videos or first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and keep on trucking

Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #18654
Working on mine

I am in the process of replacing my v-roller, and from what I can see, I am following the steps of a complete column replacement to change one itty bitty piece.

Have you figured it out?
Old 04-24-2020, 11:14 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Any pictures of what the problem is? Our mh is in storage so I can't look at it. I am interested in how to repair the problem in the event I need know. Thanks and good luck in finding an easy repair.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Rhode Island
THOR #15402
No DIY help sorry

Well after much searching and calls to all the appropriate parties it was determined that the entire wall slide components needed to be replaced. The problem actually got worse as the wall slide would no longer go out (at least it fully broke while retracted).

The new components are on their way and I have an appointment at a local RV shop in a couple weeks to do the work (They say it will only take a few days with me pre ordering the parts).

I should have some pictures of the issue but I will have to dig through to find them. I will post some when I find them.

Hope you have better luck than I did!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
Well after much searching and calls to all the appropriate parties it was determined that the entire wall slide components needed to be replaced. The problem actually got worse as the wall slide would no longer go out (at least it fully broke while retracted).

The new components are on their way and I have an appointment at a local RV shop in a couple weeks to do the work (They say it will only take a few days with me pre ordering the parts).

I should have some pictures of the issue but I will have to dig through to find them. I will post some when I find them.

Hope you have better luck than I did!

I know this an old post but if you are replacing the bearing blocks you might want a machinist to put in some kind of bearing. If not you will be in the same boat in a matter of time. I Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	24042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24043

Tags
34j, repair video, slide, v roller