Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #11113
Residential fridge issues

Hello
Just curious if anyone else has had any issues with your residential fridge? I think I saw one post a while ago.
We have a 2017 Thor four winds 31W
We’ were in the UP of Michigan for a two week tour and our freezer quit on our 2nd day. Luckily we have friends with extra room in theirs. The fans running and it keeps trying to intermittently run but stops. We’ve managed to keep it cold enough in the freezer with a few bags of ice. 28-32 degrees and the fridge at around 40-42.
My question is how do you get a 28” fridge with the door off out a 23” door? There’s a window over the couch but....
We called someone and they told us possible replacement
Would appreciate anyone’s comments 😊

Old 10-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Can't help with specifics, but I'd suggest taking it to the factory service in the Elkhart, IN area. Please let the forum know how you resolved this!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I would first take it to a Dometic dealer/service shop to look at it. I doubt if even Thor's Elkhart shop deals with the fridge.

David
Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Dometic does not work on residential frigs. Neither does your rv factory. Call an authorized dealer for what ever brand you have. It is not an rv product.

I did have to replace one a few years ago. Took the window out. Pretty easy job if you have a fork lift and 5 young, strong helpers.

Bill
Old 10-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Call an appliance service tech to take a look before automatically assuming it is totally shot. Just make sure the tech has access to the back of the fridge which may require removing it from the cabinet where it sits.

What brand fridge is it?

The assumption here is you did not purchase an extended warranty or service plan.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

THOR #11113
Residential fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Call an appliance service tech to take a look before automatically assuming it is totally shot. Just make sure the tech has access to the back of the fridge which may require removing it from the cabinet where it sits.

What brand fridge is it?

The assumption here is you did not purchase an extended warranty or service plan.
We just got home and yes we’re planning on a having an Ac/refrigeration tech check it out. And are going to check extended warranty which we did purchase but were told it only covers chassis and electrical issues when our cabinets collapsed and our slide screwed up.

Thank you all for your input and will keep you posted!!
Old 10-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

THOR #11113

Just an update for you on my WHIRLPOOL residential fridge issues. We decided to wait until we got to our winter home in AZ since most places are within 60 minutes RT vs 4 hrs RT at home. We also have several businesses that will come into your park for repairs

Anyway as a result of being a residential fridge in an RV one has to go to a dealership. Which is fine as they will work with you on extended warranty and are familiar. Believe me I spent hrs on the phone researching this. We have an appointment in 2 weeks for paperwork and drop off. So glad we’re not full timers 😅

Sooo...I will update. Thank you again for your suggestions.. I love this forum we’ve dodged the bullet several times on what could have been expensive repairs not to mention time at a dealership 😉
Old 10-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottiemedic View Post
Just an update for you on my WHIRLPOOL residential fridge issues. We decided to wait until we got to our winter home in AZ since most places are within 60 minutes RT vs 4 hrs RT at home. We also have several businesses that will come into your park for repairs

Anyway as a result of being a residential fridge in an RV one has to go to a dealership. Which is fine as they will work with you on extended warranty and are familiar. Believe me I spent hrs on the phone researching this. We have an appointment in 2 weeks for paperwork and drop off. So glad we’re not full timers 😅

Sooo...I will update. Thank you again for your suggestions.. I love this forum we’ve dodged the bullet several times on what could have been expensive repairs not to mention time at a dealership 😉
Just call a repair shop just like would for a home fridge because that is what it is. They should come to you like they would do in a home. I have read that the fridge if the door is to small they go through the window after removing it
Old 10-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottiemedic View Post

You might be able to Google the problem you are having and watch a youtube video on how to fix it. I did that with my LG bottom freezer not working it was a 38 dollar fan and an hours worth of work. It took longer to remove the food than to fix it
Old 11-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #10

THOR #11113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Just call a repair shop just like would for a home fridge because that is what it is. They should come to you like they would do in a home. I have read that the fridge if the door is to small they go through the window after removing it
I tried 3 different appliance repair shops in our area and they all said they do not work on residential fridge in an RV🤷*♀️ I would think a fridge is a fridge but that’s what they told me. And your correct on removing the fridge through the window if it needs to be replaced.