Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
Residential refrigerator

Probably asked before, but we're here holding the fridge. 2016 Thor Hurricane 34F,ice maker water line broke behind refrigerator, we have all screws out unplugged but can't get the back wheels over a middle board that we can't get to, to remove.
Help please. Desperate.

Thanks ahead of time,
Mike

Old 09-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Not sure on the layout, but is there a brace or cabinet above the refrigerator that can be removed to make it easier to remove it?

Paul
Old 09-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

THOR #15498
We have remove every brace, screw that we can reach. There is a platform/center floor brace that the wheels catch on. We've tried angling to clear wheels, just not enough room.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Most rigs with residential have a small access door on the outside. On mine you can reach the water line from there. Yours have one??

Bill
Old 09-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

THOR #15498
Paul, Bill thank you for your replies. Bill no outside access wish I had one. I got it out repaired water line to the ice maker. That was the easiest part of this ordeal. The board hole was under the refrigerator, someone counter sank the screw and plugged it. I knew there had to be something there, used a magnet and ran it across the underside of the board. Got to the screw and it stuck. Dug out the putty and unscrewed it, the rest is history.

Once again guys, thank you,
Mike
Old 11-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #6
JOd

State: Florida
THOR #21311
I have a question for the forum. I turned on my generator to run my A/C, Microwave, and refrigerator. Everything came on except the refrigerator. Question is, is there a fuse that may have blown that I need to check. I have a Windsport 34R. I do not see any circuit breakers tripped. I have heard there may be two fuses for residential refrigerators on rv's.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOd View Post
I have a question for the forum. I turned on my generator to run my A/C, Microwave, and refrigerator. Everything came on except the refrigerator. Question is, is there a fuse that may have blown that I need to check. I have a Windsport 34R. I do not see any circuit breakers tripped. I have heard there may be two fuses for residential refrigerators on rv's.
Fuses for a residential fridge? Nope.
120 VAC circuits use breakers.

But you probably have an inverter for the fridge that may need to be on to pass the 120 VAC from the generator to the fridge. Also check the inverter's output breakers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
My inverter passes through however after making sure the inverter is on be sure the switch on the front of the fridge is also on
Old 11-23-2020, 02:10 AM   #9
JOd

THOR #21311
Thanks for the info. I will check on the inverter to see if it tripped. An additional question I am on the road right now omw to a full hook up campsite. I am thinking that plugging into 50 amp will run my refrigerator even if the inverter has a problem. Are they two different circuits?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:22 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will check on the inverter to see if it tripped. An additional question I am on the road right now omw to a full hook up campsite. I am thinking that plugging into 50 amp will run my refrigerator even if the inverter has a problem. Are they two different circuits?
If the generator won't supply 120 VAC to the fridge neither will SP unless you have an ATS problem and more that the fridge won't run on the generator.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #11
JOd

THOR #21311
Since the microwave and air conditioners work fine with the generator I'm starting to think the Fridge itself is the issue. I'm going to find the outlet for the Fridge and see if power is reaching it. If so then I'm going to have to get the Fridge checked out. I was told my inverter may be having an issue I thought the Fridge would work on shore power until I get the inverter checked out.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:33 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Since the microwave and air conditioners work fine with the generator I'm starting to think the Fridge itself is the issue. I'm going to find the outlet for the Fridge and see if power is reaching it. If so then I'm going to have to get the Fridge checked out. I was told my inverter may be having an issue I thought the Fridge would work on shore power until I get the inverter checked out.
It depends on what the problem is with the inverter. The Inverter has an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) on its output which allows 120 VAC from the main power panel to pass through to the fridge when on SP or running the generator; but allows the inverter to supply 120 VAC to the fridge when on battery power only. If the inverter ATS is not functioning correctly it could be your problem.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
JOd

THOR #21311
Thanks so much I feel better informed. Thanks again I will let you know how it goes
Old 11-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Air conditioner does not pass through the inverter. Microwaves generally are not connected top inverters because of the power they draw. Checking to see if the AC and the Microwave are running ing is not an indicator of fridge or inverter status.

Has the refrigerator ever worked? Do you have a remote panel inside for the inverter where the inverter power switch might have inadvertently been turn off. On my coach the inverter panel is about 6 inches off the floor by the steps leading out the door. The location is a mistake waiting to happen.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Air conditioner does not pass through the inverter. Microwaves generally are not connected top inverters because of the power they draw. Checking to see if the AC and the Microwave are running ing is not an indicator of fridge or inverter status.

Has the refrigerator ever worked? Do you have a remote panel inside for the inverter where the inverter power switch might have inadvertently been turn off. On my coach the inverter panel is about 6 inches off the floor by the steps leading out the door. The location is a mistake waiting to happen.
If the ac & microwave are running you must be connected to sp or running the generator as the inverter won't be powering them. The fridge & a couple plugs are all that should be powered by the inverter.
When connected to sp the ATS should bypass the inverter. Sounds like you've got ATS or fridge problems not inverter.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote