Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 03:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
External Kitchen Fridge Failure

I have the external kitchen in my Windsport 34J and the little refreshment fridge back there seems to have stopped working. Now I don't know squat about refrigerators and from what I can tell a replacement for this is in the $160 range...so it's not the end of the world if I need to get another one. However, I don't like the idea of throwing something out that might be fixable and then there is the principle of the whole thing, if I don't at least try to fix it what sort of man am I?

I removed it from the external kitchen and plugged it in on my work-bench. The compressor barely hummed and then a relay clicked...and the nothing. Once I unplugged it the relay clicked again after 30 seconds. I don't know if this is a thermal relay or just a delay.

The fridge has PD on the outside (never heard of it) and the model is BC-70E-NF.

There seems to be some corrosion around the thermal sensor and the connections of the refrigerant lines. I assume these things take a beating riding around in the back of the RV but I really don't know what to expect in terms of external condition.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this I'd appreciate it. Or just tell me to stop being a stubborn fool and get a new one.

I also found this video that shows EXACTLY what my symptoms are:

https://youtu.be/WjmEBgIYHec

Old 02-16-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That starter relay is probably the only replaceable part in the fridge. Have you ordered one yet?

You can get a replacement 2.7 - 3 cubic foot fridge at Wally World for $100 - $120.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 AM   #3

THOR #14595
After watching the video I ordered the starter relay. Will report back once it arrives and is installed.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
When I see corrosion around solder joints, could be a pinhole leak. Or poorly made. After replacing the the starter if still no go then time for a new one.

These refrig's are designed to sit still not get banged around as you noted.

My son is on his 2nd in 3 years in a outdoor kitchen in his trailer.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
After watching the video I ordered the starter relay. Will report back once it arrives and is installed.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #6

State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I have a 2018 34J. It came with a pummell drive (PD) refrigerator. It lasted about 2 seasons. Died in April 2019 returning to Minnesota from AZ.

Had the same corrosion as yours. I was able to purchase a replacement from MWSS Inc for $87 plus shipping for a total of $116. From what I can tell PD refrigerators are no longer available.

When I received the replacement I sprayed all the parts that had corrosion on my old one with flexseal. Probably any rubberized spray/brush product would work.

Each refrigerator had/has survived I-40 and the Alcan to AK. The second one is still working but in storage this winter. Stayed home because of covid.

Hopefully the mounting brackets are universal enough to mount another model refrigerator.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post
I have a 2018 34J. It came with a pummell drive (PD) refrigerator. It lasted about 2 seasons. Died in April 2019 returning to Minnesota from AZ.

Had the same corrosion as yours. I was able to purchase a replacement from MWSS Inc for $87 plus shipping for a total of $116. From what I can tell PD refrigerators are no longer available.

When I received the replacement I sprayed all the parts that had corrosion on my old one with flexseal. Probably any rubberized spray/brush product would work.

Each refrigerator had/has survived I-40 and the Alcan to AK. The second one is still working but in storage this winter. Stayed home because of covid.

Hopefully the mounting brackets are universal enough to mount another model refrigerator.
Thanks for that info, do you happen to know what model you purchased? The closest thing they list is priced at $190. Hotpoint 2.7C. Ft.

The PD has a mounting bracket on the front with screw holes to secure it to the counter. My only concern is any replacement won't have the same fitting.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

THOR #9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
Thanks for that info, do you happen to know what model you purchased? The closest thing they list is priced at $190. Hotpoint 2.7C. Ft.

The PD has a mounting bracket on the front with screw holes to secure it to the counter. My only concern is any replacement won't have the same fitting.
This is the model of the original and replacement refrigerator:

PD 2.6 Cu.Ft. Freestanding Compact Refrigerator
Pummel Drive, Refrigerator, PD-BC-70NF

When I removed mine there was a small Z-bracket in the front and a larger clamping bracket screwed to the countertop in the back to prevent the top of the fridge from tipping forward.

I recently purchased a mini fridge from Best Buy for home (beer). Ha. I wanted one without a freezer and could easily fit in my 34J in an emergency. May want to check it out.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6145102
Old 02-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #9

THOR #9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnbl View Post
This is the model of the original and replacement refrigerator:

PD 2.6 Cu.Ft. Freestanding Compact Refrigerator
Pummel Drive, Refrigerator, PD-BC-70NF

When I removed mine there was a small Z-bracket in the front and a larger clamping bracket screwed to the countertop in the back to prevent the top of the fridge from tipping forward.

I recently purchased a mini fridge from Best Buy for home (beer). Ha. I wanted one without a freezer and could easily fit in my 34J in an emergency. May want to check it out.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6145102
Not sure if you travel south into the warmer states. If you do replace your fridge I would consider getting the color white. When we are in Arizona temps start getting into the 90's late March into April.

I have actually put the silver foil that people put in their windows on the front of the black fridge door. Makes a big difference if the afternoon sun can hit it.