Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I think my furnace on my Thor 331W has a disconnected duct

While driving my Thor Chateau 31W on a bumpy road I think one of my duct hoses disconnected. Now, I don't get heat to my bathroom or from one of the ducts in our bedroom.

Does anyone have any idea where I can check and see where I can access the hose?

I was going to turn it in for a warranty repair. However, the RV place said that our Good Sam Club extended warranty won't cover a disconnected hose, only a fault with the furnace.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
If that's the case most likely the hose became disconnected right at the furnace its self. If you unscrew the large grate that's in front of the furnace you will see all of the duct hoses connected or disconnected. Its a pretty straight forward system.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #3

THOR #12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
If that's the case most likely the hose became disconnected right at the furnace its self. If you unscrew the large grate that's in front of the furnace you will see all of the duct hoses connected or disconnected. Its a pretty straight forward system.

be happy,

Thanks...I will check it out! I am learning that you have to do as much work as possible on your coach. The labor rate that these RV technicians charge is ridiculous!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Along with the loose ducts I have a nice tear in mine.

Used the heater for the first time last weekend and noticed that my close in the draws above the heater were nice and warm. Knowing that Thor didn't give me a draw warmer by design I went to investigate. All the ducts were very loose on the air distributor. Used aluminum tape to seal the ducts out and to fix the tear.

BTW anyone know a source for the duct tubing? I'd like to replace the one that's torn..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7715[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	15814  
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
THOR #3604
Your average Home depot/Lowe’s type store has a pretty good selection of HVAC ducting parts
Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
be happy,

Thanks...I will check it out! I am learning that you have to do as much work as possible on your coach. The labor rate that these RV technicians charge is ridiculous!
The labor rates are truly getting out of the realm of peoples incomes

Demand apparently is letting them get by with it for the foreseeable future

Around 150 per hour in this area
Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #7

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8nmike View Post

Used the heater for the first time last weekend and noticed that my close in the draws above the heater were nice and warm. Knowing that Thor didn't give me a draw warmer by design I went to investigate. All the ducts were very loose on the air distributor. Used aluminum tape to seal the ducts out and to fix the tear.

BTW anyone know a source for the duct tubing? I'd like to replace the one that's torn..
On our Landmark I used the three inch wide foil duct tape to make repairs and make some changes. You can improvise a bit as long as it is fireproof

The bath register was so hot you could fry your eggs in there
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
While driving my Thor Chateau 31W on a bumpy road I think one of my duct hoses disconnected. Now, I don't get heat to my bathroom or from one of the ducts in our bedroom.

Does anyone have any idea where I can check and see where I can access the hose?

I was going to turn it in for a warranty repair. However, the RV place said that our Good Sam Club extended warranty won't cover a disconnected hose, only a fault with the furnace.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
As Happy said. (added his text)

This is what I discovered. However, follow the ducts under the couch etc.. and you will see most if not all need to be tightened OR reinstalled all together. Seems heater duct installations (and everything else) takes place on Monday or Friday.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8nmike View Post

lol.... warm drawers might be nice for winter....
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The labor rates are truly getting out of the realm of peoples incomes

Demand apparently is letting them get by with it for the foreseeable future

Around 150 per hour in this area

$150/Hour isn't really bad these days...IF they knew what they were doing and "how things work" when it comes in the shop. So much of the bill is research trying to figure out where things are and how they work..because they don't know their products...or how to fix them. Every service type dealer network has an objective of "billed hours" per bay. If they only billed you for the hours they were actively repairing something, it wouldn't be bad.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
$150/Hour isn't really bad these days...IF they knew what they were doing and "how things work" when it comes in the shop. So much of the bill is research trying to figure out where things are and how they work..because they don't know their products...or how to fix them. Every service type dealer network has an objective of "billed hours" per bay. If they only billed you for the hours they were actively repairing something, it wouldn't be bad.
I think the service department bills $150/hr. I think you can bet your behind that's not what the techs see - not even close. And to your point, if they knew what they were doing, it would cost a lot less. 10 minutes to replace a furnace board? $325. Really?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I think the service department bills $150/hr. I think you can bet your behind that's not what the techs see - not even close. And to your point, if they knew what they were doing, it would cost a lot less. 10 minutes to replace a furnace board? $325. Really?

Service fees on any type of recreational vehicle are over the top, and I'd say that only 1 in 10 Techs really know what they are doing (youtube is their repair manual too). We gotten into RVing after years of Sailing and repairs for both are the same. Do what you can....Seek help from other RV'ers, been involved in more boat repairs while at anchor than at a service dock and YouTube is your friend.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Thor factory service is only $100 per hour and they know every every screw in the unit. Really good for those close to factory but expensive for those far away (travel expense). I'll go there anyway...I did in December. Always a good excuse for a road trip. They fixed a list over 12 items long in a day and a half...and did it right! All of mine was under warranty but I'll go there for major service issues even after warranty runs out.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Question

Where is the factory located ? Was it difficult to get an appointment ?
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #15

THOR #14380
So, when you walk into an RV dealer and say "I am interested in buying a motorhome", and the salesman says "are you good with tools"??

Wouldn't that be refreshing?

Jim
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Wakarusa, Indiana. Twenty minutes south of Elkhart. Appointments are easy...just call Customer Service and they will forward you to the right shop. There's a waiting list a couple months or so long, but while I was there I saw a few owners drop in for small stuff and they took them in on the spot (they have what they call a "roamer" for this purpose). They provide 50A camp spots at the repair facility for your early arrival. If they say 7AM on a given date...they will knock on your door that moment. We stayed in Elkhart and there's lots of cool things to do. You can also arrange a factory tour during your stay...highly recommended. My experience was second to none.

Tags
chateau 31w, disconnected heater duct, heater problems