Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #3396
Reversed Polarization on House Batteries - Need Help

I have a 2013 ACE 31.5. When I reinstalled my two 6 volt house batteries I accidentally reversed the polarity. I knew it immediately and corrected the problem. However, the house lights, radio, TV, etc. do not work. I checked the fuse box and the two 40 AMP fuses that I assume are the reverse polarity fuses are not blown. Just to be sure I checked all of the fuses and breakers and none were blown or tripped. I also tried to reset the 100 AMP breaker near the battery but I can't tell if it worked. It is not the type that has the yellow lever that shows when it has tripped and it is hard to tell if it is reset. Before a buy a new 100 AMP breaker and install it I want to know if anyone has any additional advice as to what I need to look for before installing the new breaker. I don't want to install it and find out there was another fuse or breaker that would correct the problem. Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambob View Post

.....cut..... Before a buy a new 100 AMP breaker and install it I want to know if anyone has any additional advice as to what I need to look for before installing the new breaker. I don't want to install it and find out there was another fuse or breaker that would correct the problem. Any ideas?
Before you spend money buying a new breaker, can't you determine if it's closed by using a volt meter?

I'm curious if when you say you reversed polarity if you connected one or both batteries incorrectly? Have you checked to make certain you now have 12 Volts at battery terminals?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #3

THOR #3396
Good point. I need a little advice on how to check the voltage. Should I hook the volt meter to either side of the breaker? I am a little confused on how to check the voltage. Thanks for your response!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
I'd have to see the electrical diagram to make sure, but expect that if breaker contacts are closed you should have +/- 12 Volts going to breaker, and 12 Volts out of breaker. If breaker is open, then Voltage going to breaker could be much higher than coming out.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
If you have an inverter there will be two identical (but different amperage) CBs in the battery compartment. I would check the resting voltage (no power to the coach) of the batteries. It should be at least 2.0 volts per cell (6 volts). Next, check the combined output to see it is at least 12 volts (about 45% of the batteries' AHr remaining). Trip (using red button) and reset the main circuit breaker. Next check the input and output of the circuit breaker. It should be the same (no voltage loss). If that all checks, you are in good shape power wise.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambob View Post
Good point. I need a little advice on how to check the voltage. Should I hook the volt meter to either side of the breaker? I am a little confused on how to check the voltage. Thanks for your response!
No one really answered this question yet...
Touch the negative probe from the meter to negative battery terminal (or chassis ground) - then the positive terminal to the input side of breaker (should read >12v) - the move the positive to the output side of breaker (should read the same).

House lights would not be affected by reverse polarity... Incandescent bulbs don't care - and LED just won't light...
Other components (inverter, converter, electronics) might not fare too well - if you let the 'magic smoke out', it can be hard to put back in...
TV would have to be 12v to have been impacted... most are 110v AC.

Hopefully nothing major damaged. Good luck!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 AM   #7

THOR #3396
Well, my fix was fairly simple. I had wired it parallel instead of serial. Got it wired correctly and everything works but the radio and backup cameras. Does anyone have any idea where the fuse would be for the radio? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #8

Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #3501
I had the same problem on my 2015 Axis - CW installed two new coach batteries, but had them reversed. They managed to fix the issue, which powered up the house, but the radio/camera/console was still dead. From all my fuse experiences, every last unit seems to have a different setup, and none of the manuals have useful info. In my case, after 6.5 hours of testing every single fuse they could find (under dash, compartment under drivers side, under hood, even the interior house box under the fridge), the techs located an inline fuse near the Ford chassis fuse box under the hood. It's a red wire, with a small square box that contains the fuse. It was tucked away a little, so difficult to spot, but it solved the problem.

Again, every unit seems to have a different setup, but lots of the info I've found on this forum has led me to answers, although it may have been in a completely roundabout manner! Good luck & I hope you find it in under 6.5 hours