Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I'm guessing the 110psi you see on the tires is max pressure for the tires. Good for max MPG, though more pressure than needed might hurt handling and ride. It is best to get your weights and use pressures according to mfg specs for those real weights. This will typically provide the best handling and ride characteristics.

My inside stickers were a near match to the resulting mfg recommended pressure weights for my last couple rigs. But that doesn't mean your sticker is accurate for your travel weights. It's always best to know the real weight values and work with those numbers.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #22
Ike

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #5949
ACE 29.3 suspension upgrades on 2016

I had the safety track steering stabilizer installed first which really improved the feel of the steering. I am having Roadmaster rear and front sway bars installed to combat effect of side winds. Does the F53 come with factory trac bars front and rear?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:48 AM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
What is the "Rear Cheap Handling Fix" I keep seeing referenced? Is is specific to only the larger units like the Windsport?

Doc
The CHF (cheap handling fix) involves moving the swaybar links front and rear to a different mounting position. (The swaybars have two mounting holes for the links) Moving the links effectively increases swaybar stiffness which in turn decreases body roll while driving. MANY owners have done the CHF with excellent results and a coach that drives better. The CHF takes about 1-2 hours to do and no special tools are needed except a torque wrench.

My wife rarely comments on things I have done to our MHs but did notice the difference in ride and handling, especially with semis.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I have a 2016 Vegas that I have considered adding these Sumo Springs....does anyone have any first hand experience with Sumos on a Vegas/Axis?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
I had the safety track steering stabilizer installed first which really improved the feel of the steering. I am having Roadmaster rear and front sway bars installed to combat effect of side winds. Does the F53 come with factory trac bars front and rear?
No, the F53 has no factory track bars (Panhard Rods), but they have front and rear sway bars.
I installed a rear track bar in mine, because the rather long rear overhang caused the house section to act like the tail wagging the dog. I installed Sumo Maxim springs in the front and the CHF in the front and the rear. I also have a Steer Safe unit installed. I now have a pretty stable ride and passing trucks don't bother me anymore.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #26

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
I had my ACE 29.3 in for initial alignment check (which was quite close) and had him do the CHF at the same time. With the rig up on the rack and the right tools, it took him maybe 30 minutes and well worth it. I had gusty winds coming out and back and could definitely notice the difference on my return trip.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #27

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
The new Ford F53s have a front trac bar but not rear.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:13 AM   #28
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Sumo Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Read that article with interest as well! Was hoping there would be some feedback/comments on those Sumo Springs.

We ran into some serious rough riding on our trip to CA last December, and would like to do something to make the ride a bit smoother!
Put them on my Vegas made a big difference. They replace the small rubber bump stops. I may buy a Windsport and it will be my first addition.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Sumo maxiums help with the coach sway or lean as they add spring rate (stiffer) on the compression side and stretch on the unloaded side of the coach. They raise the coach about 1.5 inches front and rear if you shop for the correct rating maxium for your coach. Small bumps are as bad as ever but over big holes where the concrete is breaking-up, the ride seem somewhat softer. Traveling with 410 lbs of water midships in the Hurricane 31S really helps with the small bumps. If you are concerned with ride quality get the coach weighed on every corner when loaded for a trip then adjust the tire pressure to match that weight. The grain elevator down the road from me weighs my coach for free.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #30

THOR #5196
Discussing suspension is like discussing religion, everyone has their own opinion and that's great! Decide how much you are willing to spend and what is most important. Can you do the work yourself or are you going to need someone else to do it. It's very easy to sink thousands of dollars buying "extras" for your MH. You can start small by trying the CHF, or go big buying springs and track bars. Be smart and make a plan before you decide.

Personally, I'm happy with our coach after doing just the CHF, but that's me and you may want more!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #31

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
I only got the front CHF, is that a problem with not doing the back? will it through things off?
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #32

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
I only got the front CHF, is that a problem with not doing the back? will it through things off?
It won't hurt anything, but you won't get the full benefit unless you do the back too.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #33

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Thanks SuperD
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
When you stiffen only the front or back alone on any vehicle, it affect the amount of oversteer or understeer.

Additional stabilizer bar stiffness or stiffer springs at either end is often used to tune handling to what the driver wants, or what engineers think is safest.

If your only goal is reducing body roll, then what SuperD stated.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #35

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Discussing suspension is like discussing religion, everyone has their own opinion and that's great! Decide how much you are willing to spend and what is most important. Can you do the work yourself or are you going to need someone else to do it. It's very easy to sink thousands of dollars buying "extras" for your MH. You can start small by trying the CHF, or go big buying springs and track bars. Be smart and make a plan before you decide.

Personally, I'm happy with our coach after doing just the CHF, but that's me and you may want more!
Well said SuperD. My first 1,400 mile run in our Challenger I knew I needed to do something. Started reading up on this forum and doing other research before spending any money right away. Started with CHF and then had front end aligned. Did a short trip and that helped a lot. Still not 100% there but before I throw $1,200 to $1,500 at it by buying Sumo springs I am going to go the Safe-T route. So like SuperD said, you may not need to spend $2,500 to $3,000 and do everything at once on these suspensions. I think it is more of an individual process to determine what each person ends of really needing for their own coach.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #36

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
Joe-FL spot on. I guess you can do all at once but not sure you need all of them. We have 29K miles on our 2015 Challenger 37TB and we've added on the Roadmaster Reflex (mostly to help in the case of a front blowout), done the CHF (on front only) and keep a close eye on tire pressure. Our coach handles very well in heavy winds and have zero to minimal effect from passing high profile vehicles.

After all of these miles and criss crossing the USA twice, I am tuned into winds. I can tell when the wind speed is greater than 15 mph and have few problems until it hits 25 mph. Off the road at 30 mph.

IMO - plan the changes, apply them as needed in order but most of all "enjoy the ride, remembering the journey is the destination".
Old 02-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #37

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Well said SuperD. My first 1,400 mile run in our Challenger I knew I needed to do something. Started reading up on this forum and doing other research before spending any money right away. Started with CHF and then had front end aligned. Did a short trip and that helped a lot. Still not 100% there but before I throw $1,200 to $1,500 at it by buying Sumo springs I am going to go the Safe-T route. So like SuperD said, you may not need to spend $2,500 to $3,000 and do everything at once on these suspensions. I think it is more of an individual process to determine what each person ends of really needing for their own coach.
I agree Joe. We put Saf-T on and helped a lot and put 19000 miles on and don't need to do anything else. Alignment and air pressure is vital. Question on Sumo springs, I assume they are on for overall better ride and is that what you received after putting them on?
Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #38

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
I've added Safe-T-Plus, heavy duty sway bars, Tireminder and a front end alignment since I purchased my Vegas. Each helped in its own way, and the improvement was incremental. My ride/drive experience is much, much better than it was originally, but I still doubt that it is the best that it can be. Sumo springs are probably next.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #39

THOR #5196
Bigben, sure you have a lot of experience by now but seriously recommend you do the rear CHF, it will improve your handling even more. The only other suspension mod I'll probably do is adding a Safe-T-Plus, lot of good reviews, and safer handling in case of a blow-out. I also agree with you that close monitoring of tire pressure is a must!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #40

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #1020
SuperD - I've really thought about the rear CHF but quite honestly the coach handles really well. I am in a spot this winter where I can tinker a bit and will probably do the rear CHF. Been here for about a month and have another month and a half in front of us - longest the Challenger has been off the road since April 2015.

It deserves the break! :-)