Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Citation 24
State: British Columbia
THOR #1725
Road Water coming into Unit

Hi, Have just joined,
We purchased our Chateau Citation 24c M/H 2 weeks ago, first time out while driving in rain, water was coming up under Dinette which sits on the slide out,
any ideas as to where the water is coming from.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
There should be two seals around the slide out, an inner and outer. You will want to check those.

But since the slides typically go over the floor below it, I am going to guess the rain water is coming in from either the front or top seal and running down to the floor rather than from below. It is not uncommon - and more often than not - the water you see is from a leak several feet away.

The seals may not be damaged, but the slide mechanism may simply not be calibrated to bring the slide in far enough to seal it properly, or perhaps you are not keeping the switch pushed long enough.

You should release the slide switch when you hear a change in the motor pitch.

However, since this is a new coach, the slide could be out of alignment or square, which is not allowing it to seal properly. Of course, a seal could have been torn, installed improperly, or other damage done to it during construction.

Another thing you can do is with the slide all the way closed (in), check the gap all around the slide. The gap should be fairly close on all sides. If it is significantly different, one of the seals may not be contacting sufficiently, and you may have an alignment or construction issue.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

THOR #1725
Road water coming into unit

thanks very much for your reply, the reason I think it might be coming up through the floor somewhere is that the M/H has sat parked in heavy rains with the slide in and no water coming in.
The water seems to be coming from close to to where the rear tandem wheels are.
Sherwood
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Do you think though, that driving through rain might be forcing water into a side seal? Especially if the slide is not sufficiently in, it could be flexing as you are driving down the road letting a gap open and close that you can't see when parked. Just a thought.

At any rate, don't limit your look-see to just the bottom.

Of course, if you take it back for warranty work, they won't find anything, as they won't drive it in the rain.

So if you can discover the problem for them, they might actually fix it. Otherwise, they will likely state they could not find the problem.

Unfortunately leaks can be very difficult to diagnose, and they might just throw stuff at it hoping to fix it...
Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
First thing I would do is run my finger around the entire exterior of the slide where is seals against the side of the coach. Take note if there are any gaps. If there is nothing noticeable then I would attack it with a hose working on one area at a time. Use some pressure but not so much as to force water in that would not normally be forced in. I would start at the bottom and work up. Take your time and have someone inside if you can. You probably have a better chance at finding this than a thor tech because you have skin in the game. Good luck and check back and let us know how it's going.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I will upload pic later but on the way home from Elkhart last October my floor leaked enroute. I discovered it was the manufacturing process (SURPRISE)!!!

The tarp that Thor wraps around the plywood floor had come away from the corner during the installation and bare wood was exposed. The water was entering from behind the front wheel and working its way to the center of the coach and flowing down the center of the floor.

Two tubes of non sag Dicor lap sealant did the job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 1.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	299   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 2.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	300  

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
Our 2015 Freedom Elite is scheduled in to Camping World because we found water standing in our large outside storage area. It is in now to the Ford dealer to get the drive shaft balanced for the second time. I also called Ford and have them talking to the Ford dealer. Hope we are able to use it before Easter. It only has 2300 miles on it, most from Elkhart, IN to Tampa, FL
Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #8

THOR #1616
The drive shaft was not out of balance. It was installed in a bind in the housing. Hopefully they will have the rack and pinion (?) installed and we will get it back this Monday. Then off to Camping World to get the leak in the compartment fixed along with a piece of plastic rubbing the back wheel put back up where it belongs.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 AM   #9

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Water on floor

I had the same problem 24c four winds after three trips to the shop last one in a rain storm we found the problem. The rear tire well where it was attached under the refrigerator had came loose and left a one inch gap from the wheel to the inside. Two and half months in the shop in the last eight months. Took it back today to finish hope this is every thing.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #10

THOR #1725
Hi thanks for the reply, we are waiting for it to rain so I can test drive after sealing wheel well seams under Dinete, opposite side to you but looks as if could be same sort of problem.
Regards
Sherwood
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #1750
Take a look at my posting under Thor Products, "2015 Four Winds - Cabin Flooded".
Old 05-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #12

THOR #1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpink2 View Post
Our 2015 Freedom Elite is scheduled in to Camping World because we found water standing in our large outside storage area. It is in now to the Ford dealer to get the drive shaft balanced for the second time. I also called Ford and have them talking to the Ford dealer. Hope we are able to use it before Easter. It only has 2300 miles on it, most from Elkhart, IN to Tampa, FL
Leak was fixed at CW Holiday, FL. they did a great job.