Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Shower base/wall Question

Since we all have time on our hands...I had removed the silicone at the wall/base area in the shower a few months ago. It didn't hold up and I've removed what I put in.
I used Goof off to clean the surfaces, then wiped it down with alcohol, let dry then sealed it.

All that said I'm thinking around the base to just not seal it, there is an over lap where the wall meets the base which should prevent water going behind the wall.
I'll still seal the area where the door rail meets the Walland across the door Chanel.
Any thoughts? Crazy? Won't work?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Since we all have time on our hands...I had removed the silicone at the wall/base area in the shower a few months ago. It didn't hold up and I've removed what I put in.
I used Goof off to clean the surfaces, then wiped it down with alcohol, let dry then sealed it.

All that said I'm thinking around the base to just not seal it, there is an over lap where the wall meets the base which should prevent water going behind the wall.
I'll still seal the area where the door rail meets the Walland across the door Chanel.
Any thoughts? Crazy? Won't work?
Thor does not seal the overlap between shower base skirt and the wall panels. The theory is that sealing skirt to the wall would allow condensation to be trapped between the inner and outer walls and to deteriorate the walls. By not sealing the walls would allow movement and some ventilation to keep the outer-walls dry. Over 4 years with my present coach from plant 750 and no leaks or fungus.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor does not seal the overlap between shower base skirt and the wall panels. The theory is that sealing skirt to the wall would allow condensation to be trapped between the inner and outer walls and to deteriorate the walls. By not sealing the walls would allow movement and some ventilation to keep the outer-walls dry. Over 4 years with my present coach from plant 750 and no leaks or fungus.
Thank you, We bought this used and somebody sealed it. I knew it wasn't a good seal because the wall move too much. The old sealing material looked so bad I scraped it out and redid it. It's out now and I won't reseal those areas. I will do the door track to base and side rail to wall
Old 04-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Thank you, We bought this used and somebody sealed it. I knew it wasn't a good seal because the wall move too much. The old sealing material looked so bad I scraped it out and redid it. It's out now and I won't reseal those areas. I will do the door track to base and side rail to wall
I have a 2018 Thor 37rb class A. My shower leaking around the base and ran across the hall floor. I took it to camping world and they sealed it and haven't had the problem since. Good luck