Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 42FK
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12199
Inverter Fault?

Okay, another issue... we have been at the same resort now for 13 days. Hooked up to shore power 50 amp with a surge protector. Yesterday my Tv, and refrigerator started shutting off intermittently, the Ice flapper on the fridge keeps opening and shutting each time... you can hear it in the background in this video... enough to drive you crazy...

Things I have tried:

I have turned the inverter on and off several times on the panel, nothing. I have unplugged from shore power for a few minutes, still keeps happening. It does not happen however when I run the generator. Why would we all of a sudden after 13 days, with no issues then yesterday this started happening?

TIA
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...

Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just a WAG, but if your gen running results in all coach systems functioning normally then the suspect is the shore power itself; your EMS monitoring of the shore power is cutting off AC due to some brown out or other "bad" condition it senses; or the transfer switch from the shore AC side has developed a poor or intermittant connection perhaps?

My EMS (Progressive Industries) allows a bypass of the unit (risky if there is some serious problem), but if you deload a few AC loads in the coach and bypass the EMS you might find all is normal again. This happened to me in a campground that was suffering from brownout conditions (AC source voltage dropping below spec) so the EMS would cut out to protect air conditioner etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The other interesting thing is you say when not on shore power and I assume no gen running either, you still get inverter sourced (fridge etc) load problems? That might also indicate weak batteries when no charging is going on from either shore or gen AC power. I would also check your coach batteries for state of charge and connections etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm thinking that one SIDE, or hot leg, of your 50amp Shore Power has no power. Trip the main shore double-pole breaker and see if things change. Or have the rv park check it for you.

The reason I come to this conclusion is this: one 'side' of the 50amp Shore power is to one 'side' of your Main electrical panel in the coach. While the other side might have all the power it needs, the other side may not, which may be the side that the Inverter/Charger is receiving power from.
If the Charger is not receiving power, and charging the batteries, the Inverter would also not have the 120v Shore Power flowing thru it, and the Inverter could be cutting in / out as the voltage drops, lowering it below the built-in LBCO(Low battery cut out) and therefore loosing power to the TV and Fridge circuits.

Another way to test this is to use your 50am/30amp adapter, and plug into the 30amp Shore outlet instead. If you then have power to your Charger and flowing thru the Inverter, you'll know that one side of the 50amp shore power is not working.

The 50amp shore power outlet/breaker may have a loose wire.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

THOR #12199
Thanks everyone, we had someone come out and take a look. We have a Bad inverter. Will have to replace it when we get home on Sunday. So, now looking for recommendations as to the best Inverter? We currently have a Magnum 2000. Should I get one with a built in Transfer switch? 2012 Thor Tuscany 42FK. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

THOR #4735
Wait, what was the diagnosis of the problem? How did they so quickly realize that it was a bad inverter, versus shore power. I don’t see how replacing your inverter is going to solve any problems if it was running perfectly fine through the generator power.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

THOR #12199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Wait, what was the diagnosis of the problem? How did they so quickly realize that it was a bad inverter, versus shore power. I don’t see how replacing your inverter is going to solve any problems if it was running perfectly fine through the generator power.

We got the error "Overtemp" on the panel, and they showed us some wires that were burnt. They tested through the breaker box and inverter it self.
Not sure why it worked with Gen running earlier today, we tried it again when they were here and it did the same thing as when not running the Gen.

They tested the shore power pedestal and all was fine. We will be home on Sunday, and will get it replaced.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

THOR #4735
sounds like they understand that 'overtemp' for the fets or inverter board, including the huge charger, is not good.
I had this happen and replaced it with another ME2012, the exact same model, at the Inverter Service Center just north of Nashville, TN last year - they removed the old and installed the new in a few hours. I probably could have tackled it myself, but watching them do it gives me confidence if it needs to be done again in the future.
Magnum includes the relay, of course, and the integrated Charger, and a three year warranty.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote