Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34B
State: British Columbia
THOR #5367
No 12V - Help!

I have an ‘08 Hurricane on the F53. All my 12V systems work when on shore power or on the genset. When I unplug, I have no 12V power. Batteries are both good , but I may have shorted something when I hooked up the house batteries as I had the switch on by the door. I can’t seem to find any breakers or fuses that are blown. Am I missing a fuse or something else somewhere? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I know on my ACE where the batteries are located I have two 50amp trip level type breakers. You may try looking for those breakers.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Sounds like the battery disconnects is disconnected. The solenoid is in the Battery Control Center (BCC) located on the firewall right above the engine oil fill (at least that's where it is on my 2006 Hurricane). If you are configured as I am the attached PDFs have easy to follow troubleshooting information to determine if the problem is in the BCC.

When on shore or the generator the AC to DC converter charger is providing 12 DC power. Also the generator and probably any hydraulic systems are directly tied to the battery bank rather than thru the BCC and the disconnects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150819_181343.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	19014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150819_181540.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	19017  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec BCC.pdf (634.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf BCC TS Guide.pdf (224.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #4

THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I know on my ACE where the batteries are located I have two 50amp trip level type breakers. You may try looking for those breakers.
Thanks. I looked in my battery compartment and there is a common post where the positive cables are connected, but I don’t see any resettable breakers. I have power to the switches inside the door, but no power at the fuse panel under the rear bed.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Sounds like the battery disconnects is disconnected. The solenoid is in the Battery Control Center (BCC) located on the firewall right above the engine oil fill (at least that's where it is on my 2006 Hurricane). If you are configured as I am the attached PDFs have easy to follow troubleshooting information to determine if the problem is in the BCC.

When on shore or the generator the AC to DC converter charger is providing 12 DC power. Also the generator and probably any hydraulic systems are directly tied to the battery bank rather than thru the BCC and the disconnects.
Thanks for the pics and manuals Sweetbriar. I have two fuse panels on the Firewall. The main BCC made by RV Custom Products is on the very far right. The second and smaller fuse panel is beside the Trans oil dipstick where you show in your pic. The manuals that you sent on page 9 shows a 12V breaker for Converter, which would be perfect, but alas, I don’t seem to have that breaker in my ‘08.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

THOR #5367
Here is a pic of my BCC and the 30amp breakers I wish I had! Are they somewhere else on my ‘08 Hurricane 34B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A30B03F-1CCE-4815-A862-56D72EE8A504.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	19024   Click image for larger version

Name:	E27EAE33-4FE1-49AA-A91E-5F7D7407E1D7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	19026  

Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
To me, it sounds like the main 40 or 50 amp circuit breaker from the coach battery(ies). Follow the red lead from the coach battery that goes to the BCC. There should be a circuit breaker in that line. It almost looks like a terminal junction, but has two posts. Usually black about 2" square. Between the terminals OR on the side will be a reset button, possibly red or maybe black also depending upon manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #8

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
BTW. Pretty sure that the two breakers/fuses that you circled are not the problem, if as you said in the first post, you only have 12VDC when on shore power or generator. Both sources provide 120VAC to the converter which has to be functioning to get the 12VDC.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
This might be a stupid question but is your use/store switch working?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #10

THOR #5367
Thanks. You think they would put a reset somewhere that wouldn’t be so hidden, but who am I kidding haha!
I’ll check that later today.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

THOR #2878
Check the backside of the use/store switch. Something jogs my memory that there might be a reset on the backside of it, but then again, my memory sometimes fails me
Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #12

THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
This might be a stupid question but is your use/store switch working?
Yup. Loud thunk when activated and lights up. So power is absent between that switch and the fuse panel under the bed.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #13

THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
Check the backside of the use/store switch. Something jogs my memory that there might be a reset on the backside of it, but then again, my memory sometimes fails me
I took that panel off and pushed in all the connectors right. Didn’t see any reset switch.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #14

THOR #2878
Then my memory failed
Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #15

THOR #5367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
To me, it sounds like the main 40 or 50 amp circuit breaker from the coach battery(ies). Follow the red lead from the coach battery that goes to the BCC. There should be a circuit breaker in that line. It almost looks like a terminal junction, but has two posts. Usually black about 2" square. Between the terminals OR on the side will be a reset button, possibly red or maybe black also depending upon manufacturer.
So I followed the red leads from the coach batteries to the BCC. There is no inline breaker or block! I agree that there has to be a main 40 or 50 amp breaker somewhere. But where??
Old 07-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #16

THOR #5367
12V Problem Solved

So... after continuous research, and some great input from other Hurricane owners, I am happy to say that my 12V systems are back up in my ‘08 Hurricane. It was a simple reset of a breaker in the BCC. A small gray rectangular breaker in the bottom left corner which has a fairly hidden button on the right side about the size of a match head.