Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #12708
Roof A/C unit

Hello, My rear roof A/C unit freezes up then drips water on our bed.....in the middle of the night. Thoughts, Fixes. Enjoy your weekend and thanks... Dave

Old 09-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I would think the unit needs servicing.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Pull the inside trim cover off and take a look:
Is the ducting blocked?
Is the freeze probe connected to the fins?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #4

THOR #12708
wow light bulb there. Unit is brand new. Ill move on
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #11558
Try cleaning the rooftop unit and also interior. I was told most are sealed so you can’t recharge Freon. Iwas about to buy new unit but I cleaned it up, checked starting capacitor and it has been working fine for several years. Different symptom: attempt to start but failed. Bought new capacitor (starter kit) and have in case..
Old 09-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would snug down the 4 long bolts that hold the unit on your roof (This is done from the inside of the RV). Perhaps it is allowing the normal AC water to leak inside the RV? Worth a check. Mine were very loose (but not leaking). Dont over tighten - just snug them down evenly.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:26 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojet View Post
Hello, My rear roof A/C unit freezes up then drips water on our bed.....in the middle of the night. Thoughts, Fixes. Enjoy your weekend and thanks... Dave
Hello from Southport NC dubojet, this is going to sound odd but it does happen. We took a trip out to the Midwest (Iowa) toward mid/end of August this year. Well we were running the Ac unit all day and no problems 80s 90 degree heat. Then for a couple of nights our AC unit would freeze up and really diminish the amount of air flow to the coach. Well we went immediately to a rv shop and had a new unit installed. At night it was in the 50s. Well after reading the new owners manual of the Coleman Mach 3 unit, it stated in there that on cooler nights the unit will freeze up. I am convinced that was the problem with the old Coleman Mach 3 that was new in 2016. So if its been a little cooler at night the unit will freeze up. That was a 850 dollar lesson on me.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:53 AM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hello from Southport NC dubojet, this is going to sound odd but it does happen. We took a trip out to the Midwest (Iowa) toward mid/end of August this year. Well we were running the Ac unit all day and no problems 80s 90 degree heat. Then for a couple of nights our AC unit would freeze up and really diminish the amount of air flow to the coach. Well we went immediately to a rv shop and had a new unit installed. At night it was in the 50s. Well after reading the new owners manual of the Coleman Mach 3 unit, it stated in there that on cooler nights the unit will freeze up. I am convinced that was the problem with the old Coleman Mach 3 that was new in 2016. So if its been a little cooler at night the unit will freeze up. That was a 850 dollar lesson on me.
What did you have your air set to? I would think when it goes down to 50 that your air would not be running.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #5494
We had the ac set on 70.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The simplest of all fixes is to lower the thermostat so that the unit cycles off and on more frequently. When I had my fifth wheel, the unit in the bedroom was not ducted. It was a Penguin. I went through the coil cleaning, checking the four bolts, insuring the duct work was connected, and making sure the freeze probe was connected to the fins. None of that needed attention and had no impact on the nightly in bed showers of very cold water. Only not running the unit on max cool by lowering the thermostat eliminated the showers.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
what I found was there is not enough return air, the grille when put on restricts the air flow... in no way is an evap freeze up correct.. this is an engineer flaw in these units... that and as prevous stated the probe might need adjusted..on mine.. there was restrictions on both the service and return... this definet cause freeze up....anyone that thinks this is normal doesn't know ac
Old 12-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
The simplest of all fixes is to lower the thermostat so that the unit cycles off and on more frequently.
I think that's what I would also do...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote