Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Roof Clearance Lights Replacements

Hello All,
On my 2016 Axis, I still notice that the roof clearance lights have moisture droplets inside the lenses. I am always interested in LED replacements. Anyone out there replaced all of the lights with the LED lights that are completely sealed? I have removed them, sealed them with silicone caulking, sealed the screws and it seems like moisture is still getting into the lenses. I suspect with the foam gasket this will continue to occur. I know there are a lot of options on the market.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've had the same problem off and on for years. My fix has been to seal the lights as completely as possible and the drill a small "weep hole" at the bottom to allow the moisture to escape, has worked well.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yep, I replaced my overcab lights with sealed led's when I had the roof fixed.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I had to replace a bulb in one of my roof clearance lights in front. I noticed that someone had put silicon caulk or similar caulk over the screw that holds the lens to the light. I presume water can enter the inside the light unit around screw. I re caulked the screw after replacing the bulb.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
yep, I replaced my overcab lights with sealed led's when I had the roof fixed.
Do you remember which brand of LED lights you purchased?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yes,
FIVE (5) AMBER TRIANGLE CAB CLEARANCE LIGHTS - LED - 15 DIODES - 2 WIRE W GASKET | eBay

I don't know if the oem fixtures are the same for the axis, but they seem to be the same thing thor uses everywhere. The stock fixtures have a foam gasket, that I found to be shriveled and deformed, looked to be from heat up there in the sun.... and the bases are designed like cups, so that they collect water rather than shedding it. So it's not just the screw that needs to be sealed. As best as I could tell, there's not a huge danger of water actually leaking into the coach, but the fixture and bulb getting wet can't be good for a long time electrical connection. ANd the things are certainly not sealed either,,,, two screws to mount aren't sealed, nor is the hole for the wires.....

Anyway, these LED fixtures were completely sealed with a wire pigtail. they have screws for mounting, but the folks that did my spray on roof just glued them down for me using 5200, after sealing the wire holes where it goes into the coach with the roofing. Plenty bright and look ok. They have been in service since September or October, so far so good