Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #11232
Roof issue

Hello, we have a 2018 class C Chateau. The roof has a metal bar running across the front. There is roof sealant on top. See picture. Our problem is that one end on the bar is kind of loose compared to the other side. When we are on the road, we think the movement is causing the tears in the sealant. How long can be the screw be to secure the bar to the roof without puncturing all the way throu ? Or we should let the dealer do this ? Roof guarantee is over only 90 days...
Husband is very handy but this is our first RV and we are learning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fec55e1a-53a7-4608-b25f-d4b9200645d9.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	9746  

Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I would definitely contact the dealer (please don't tell us you bought it from Camping World) and Thor. See what they have to say.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: Let the Dealer sort it out with Thor.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by minionwife View Post
Hello, we have a 2018 class C Chateau. The roof has a metal bar running across the front. There is roof sealant on top. See picture. Our problem is that one end on the bar is kind of loose compared to the other side. When we are on the road, we think the movement is causing the tears in the sealant. How long can be the screw be to secure the bar to the roof without puncturing all the way throu ? Or we should let the dealer do this ? Roof guarantee is over only 90 days...
Husband is very handy but this is our first RV and we are learning.
And be very persistent that the dealer is on top of it dealing with Thor, they do tend to procrastinate. You can also call Thor customer service , 877-855-2867, have your VIN's last 8 digits ready. Good luck.

I suspect that should be welded, not screwed.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Contact both Thor and the dealer on this. Don't wait.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I agree.....an 18 model would be still under warranty so I would put it on them.

I'd bet near a 100% chance that there has been leaking and all sorts of possible problems from that.

Not to worry you, but to drive home the importance....I found a leak, not in that same spot but close, after my warranty ran out. I'm fairly sure it has been leaking since it left the factory. Rot, big repair.

I would clean it and put some self leveling caulk over that hole just to seal it till you can get it into the dealer.

but to answer the question, the roof if it's like mine, is a sandwich. Thin plywood deck under the TPO roof, sitting on top of a tubular metal frame with styrofoam insulation, and the inner ceiling skin below it all. It tapers with the rounded roof, several inches thick at the centerline, getting thinner towards the edges.

You can get a really good look at the roof structure by pulling the inner trim ring flanges off the roof vents, skylights, and/or the AC. All very easy with just a few cosmetic screws attaching the trim.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
oh, and don't let the dealer get away with just running screws into it and resealing. They need to open it up and inspect from the looks of it.....
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

THOR #11232
Thank you for your feedback. I have an appointment to take the RV to the dealer. Husband put dicor sealant in the meantime.

BTW, I was shocked that the dealers take so long to give an appoinment for warranty work. I guess I was expecting kind of the same timing as for a car with warranty issues.