Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Roof leak?

A couple weeks ago our roof started leaking. the water was coming in at the vent over the stove. Luckily it wasn't running down the wall, but dripped onto the counter top, so we could put a pan there to catch the water.

During a break in the rain, I went up on the roof and took the vent cover off for the fridge (since it was the closest to the leak) and saw what looked like 3 small spots in the Dicore where water might be coming in. I didn't have time to take the old Dicore off, so I cleaned it and put new Dicore on all over and around it.

When the rain came again, it still leaked. The next 2 days we had rain on and off the whole time. On that first day it was leaking until we noticed that in the evening it had stopped (was around 30 hours after I put the Dicore on and was still raining outside). It rained all the next day, still no leak. . We are back home now and had a Tropical storm, still no leak.

So, do I take it into the shop to see if they can find the leak or take a chance and see if the leak comes back?

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
You have your doubts that you got it fixed so in order to be able to sleep, I recommend you look into it further. Maybe the direction for the flow of water changed, it could be running down the side of a wall now. If you think it is originating around the fridge vent, take the bottom compartment access panel for the fridge off and look inside the walls there.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I had a similar issue. It turned out to be the range vent exhaust cover was not caulked properly. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...24f-14177.html
Old 10-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Concur with Post 2. I couldn't sleep knowing that it wasn't diverting somewhere else. Patching with Dicor vs. remove and replace isn't as effective. Congrats on stopping it (we think) but, since your coach is 2 years old now, I would consider having roof inspected and resealed (at least in that area). Sitting in a campground at 2AM in Podunk, Nowhere with water leaking in would make the cost of resealing minimal at that moment.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I question is how warm was it the day you fix it and the day after?

Also was the sun out for a few out the next day?

The Dicor works best (From what I read) at like 60 deg + (Warmer the better) and if the sun come out it will help heat it up so it can self level.

So I think you have it fixed (but check the entire roof to make sure you dont have other leaks) and it just took a day or so before it self leveled.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #6

THOR #5641
The temps were in the 70's during the day, but not a lot of sun. I didn't even think about the exhaust vent. I'll have to look at that.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

THOR #5641
I found the leak. It was the range hood vent. I hooked up a hose and sprayed it for several minutes, then checked the inside, and sure enough there was a little puddle between the stove and wall (it took around 10 minutes for the water to seep through). Now I just have to re-seal.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Great news...just make sure the water you sprayed leaked in around the vent outer seals and that water didn't get spraying into the vent opening. This could cause a similar effect and mislead where the actual leak is.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote