Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2022, 02:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Roof maint

Good to be back after a dozen days without power or internet. Anyway I'm sure this topic has been come up but being the oldie newbie I am I need to first determine just what type of material my 05 Chateau Sport has. How does one go about this short of a drive to a dealer? Anyone have some suggestions?

Old 01-12-2022, 03:22 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Likely TPO. Just keep it clean using mild detergent. Wash often to keep black streaks (on your motorhome sides) at bay.

Inspect often for signs of cracking/peeling sealer, especially around vents, A/C and seams. Seal questionable areas with a product called Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. No other maintenance is required.

Rubber roofs (TPO) typically have roughly a 12 to 15 year life... depending on care and maintenance... possibly longer if meticulously maintained.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:39 AM   #3

THOR #25443
So it's TPO flavor likely. This material is black on the underside correct and white topside?
Still learning here. It appears to be in good condition except for one spot at the curve to the backend. Not sure whats going in there but will need a second look. So keep clean..check.
Repair any bad spots with Dicor...check. life expectancy 12-15 years .....oh crap.
What to do after 15 years?
Old 01-12-2022, 03:45 AM   #4

THOR #16721
It could be EPDM. Although there are nuances, both behave similar for all intents. . maintenance and sealing are pretty much identical.

You can research via Google the difference between the two.

Most TPO roofs are warranted in some way, and have a stated life of 12 years. That's not to say they won't last much longer. Not sure about EPDM, but TPO naturally sheds during it's lifetime. So eventually the membrane will wear away... then it leaks of course.

An educated guess... yours is likely nearing it's "end of useful life". But don't fret... They can be replaced. It's a fair amount of work doing it yourself, along with knowing how to do it properly.

Again... YouTube videos are available to show the process.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Likely TPO. Just keep it clean using mild detergent. Wash often to keep black streaks (on your motorhome sides) at bay.

Inspect often for signs of cracking/peeling sealer, especially around vents, A/C and seams. Seal questionable areas with a product called Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. No other maintenance is required.

Rubber roofs (TPO) typically have roughly a 12 to 15 year life... depending on care and maintenance... possibly longer if meticulously maintained.
Rubber roofs and TPO are not the same thing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:02 AM   #6

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Rubber roofs and TPO are not the same thing.
Technically, neither TPO or EPDM are "rubber"... in the same sense that all photocopiers are not "Xerox" machines. BUT... they are colloquial terms used as generic "placeholders".

But they are generally referred to as "rubber" roofs... distinguishing them both from metal or fiberglass. EPDM happens to be older technology, often used on flat commercial roofing construction. It is black by nature, but when used in RV roofs, it is typically coated on one side with a white coating for sunlight/heat reflection. Thus the black on one side, white on the other identifies as likely EPDM.

TPO came about in the early 1990s as a more cost effective replacement for EPDM on RV roofs. It doesn't require the extra step of coating... it's typically white on both sides.

Again... look up the differences/advantages of each material type. Sidenote: EPDM has a much longer lifespan... typical is 20+ years if maintained.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:15 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Technically, neither TPO or EPDM are "rubber"... in the same sense that all photocopiers are not "Xerox" machines. BUT... they are colloquial terms used as generic "placeholders".

But they are generally referred to as "rubber" roofs... distinguishing them both from metal or fiberglass. EPDM happens to be older technology, often used on flat commercial roofing construction. It is black by nature, but when used in RV roofs, it is typically coated on one side with a white coating for sunlight/heat reflection. Thus the black on one side, white on the other identifies as likely EPDM.

TPO came about in the early 1990s as a more cost effective replacement for EPDM on RV roofs. It doesn't require the extra step of coating... it's typically white on both sides.

Again... look up the differences/advantages of each material type. Sidenote: EPDM has a much longer lifespan... typical is 20+ years if maintained.
No, poor analogy (re: Xerox)

Both EPDM and TPO are single-ply roofing membranes but They differ in their chemical makeup.

TPO stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin - it is a plastic-based material, no elasticity, no rubber.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:18 AM   #8

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No, poor analogy (re: Xerox)

Both EPDM and TPO are single-ply roofing membranes but They differ in their chemical makeup.

TPO stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin - it is a plastic-based material, no elasticity, no rubber.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:38 AM   #9

THOR #25443
Thanks to both of you guys. I now know way more than i needed but well informed. Next comes the hard part of knowing for sure what i have EPDM or TPO. I get that I might be able to check under a vent for clues. Thats my task for tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2022, 01:47 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Thanks to both of you guys. I now know way more than i needed but well informed. Next comes the hard part of knowing for sure what i have EPDM or TPO. I get that I might be able to check under a vent for clues. Thats my task for tomorrow.
Thanks!
Actually, you just need to look at it.

If it looks like smooth white plastic, it's TPO.

If it has some texture, it's EPDM.

This video shows how to check at a vent inside if in doubt.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:55 AM   #11

THOR #25443
Thanks so much. Finally a quick way to find out.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 PM   #12

THOR #25443
I was finally able to determine my roof is EPDM. Unmistakable black backing found in the bedroom vent near the top. So the mystery is solved and now to figure out the maintenance required to keep it spiffy. Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.