Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #8822
roof not glued around perimeter?

We have a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3. So far, we are very happy with it. A few small issues but nothing that I can't handle myself. I noticed today, however, that the TPO roof looks like it isn't glued down around the perimeter of the RV about an inch or so from the edge (same observation on the slides). The rest of it looks fine and is sealed well. Is this normal? I'm going to put it on my warranty punch list to be checked but wonder if they're going to deny it. Was going to call Thor in the morning but wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #2

State: Tennessee
THOR #7759
I have same problem on 2017 Quantum RS26. No similar problems with anyone else?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

THOR #8822
I spoke with Thor today and the guy that answered the phone said he spent something like 20 years attaching roofs to RVs. He said that it's strictly cosmetic and as long as the rest of the membrane is glued down it won't be a problem. He advised me to keep an eye on it occasionally and do regular maintenance (wash it with mild soap and a brush and keep an eye on all of the Dicor adhesive to ensure there are no leaks) but otherwise don't worry about it.

I'm slightly paranoid about things like that but he really seemed to know his stuff and was in no hurry to get me off of the phone, which makes me feel better about it. We spent about 10 minutes just talking about the assembly process for TPO roofs which proved he knows his stuff.

At the end of the day, it's still under warranty and I now have it documented that I spoke with Thor about it, so I'm not losing any (more) sleep over it.

Were I you, I would definitely speak with the manufacturer, though, to at least get it documented that you made them aware of it.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
As long sas nothing can get up underneath it: he's right...
But it still doesn't make you feel good; does it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

THOR #8822
Not even in the least! LOL

I saw a guy a few weeks ago pulling a travel trailer down the interstate and his roof looked like a blimp. That is what made me worry so much. I mentioned this to the guy at Thor and he said "yeah, that's problem from a total lack of any maintenance over the years".

I was quite pleased with Thor support, though.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Back in July we were headed east on California I15 just before Baker and saw a Hurricane (I Think) that had come loose and had filled up with air, I bet the front of it was 18" or so inches from the roof line.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
With that kind of parachute deployed: I'll be that he had to know that something wasn't quite right...
Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
We have a similar issue with a 34J just purchased. Went in for small issues and dealer determined roof was not installed properly and needed repair(rippled and needed to be removed, stretched and reinstalled) Apparently the selling dealer tried to get approved for warranty before we had purchased but Thor denied, i had no idea about this at the time of purchase, and then a second dealer found the same issue and Thor would still not approve, I contacted Daniel at Thor and asked why 2 authorized warranty service providers found the same issue and Thor would not approve repairing. After the conversation became escalated on my end i discussed contacting a lawyer they ended up approving. Im not sure why companies wait until they piss off their customer before doing the right thing.
I was happy with my newly purchased Thor but that enthusiasm is dwindling pretty quick.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

THOR #9215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreitas View Post
We have a similar issue with a 34J just purchased. Went in for small issues and dealer determined roof was not installed properly and needed repair(rippled and needed to be removed, stretched and reinstalled) Apparently the selling dealer tried to get approved for warranty before we had purchased but Thor denied, i had no idea about this at the time of purchase, and then a second dealer found the same issue and Thor would still not approve, I contacted Daniel at Thor and asked why 2 authorized warranty service providers found the same issue and Thor would not approve repairing. After the conversation became escalated on my end i discussed contacting a lawyer they ended up approving. Im not sure why companies wait until they piss off their customer before doing the right thing.
I was happy with my newly purchased Thor but that enthusiasm is dwindling pretty quick.
I looked at a 34J this week. Should I reconsider?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Only if the roof looks like a bad toupee...
Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
windsport 34p

Thor told me that they don't glue the side 6 inches to allow for flex.
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:36 AM   #12

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbran View Post
I looked at a 34J this week. Should I reconsider?
I love the layout but workmanship is really an issue. I would plan on spending 4-6 hours minimum on a pre purchase inspection. Do not rely on getting any repairs done under warranty. Be sure all is fixed before purchase, there is zero urgency to repair once they have your check !!
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #13

THOR #8822
That makes sense. I went by camping world today for some other things and looked at about 5 Thor Ace's on the lot and every one was exactly like this.