Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
Roof trim popped loose: Screw broke

I was washing my 3401 this morning and noticed that the passenger side of the roof trim between the front cap and the rubber roof had popped loose. On closer inspection I found that the bottom screw had broken off and the second screw was pulled out some. The broken screw head was still held in place by the paint but was removed when I took the picture. The broken part of the screw is still in the roof. The lap sealant across the front has some cracks in it, especially on the passenger side, although the trim is till tightly attached.

I am looking for feedback/suggestions on my planned repair:

I will get some Dicor lap sealant and a couple of screws to match the factory screws.

I will try to use the existing end hole and angle the screw to screw into the roof. I will drill and countersink a hole about 1/2" up from that hole and install a new screw. I will replace the screw that popped up some after gluing a wood toothpick in the hole to give it a new bite.

I will clean the entire sealed "lines" on each side of the trim with Eternabond cleaner and then apply Dicor lap sealant along the trim and fill the opening at the end. If the touchup paint that was in the RV when I bought it last year is good I will paint the new sealant after it cures.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	36366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	36367  

Old 03-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Since the trim is pulled up, I would apply some of the dicor on the inside under the trim as an added protection against a leak. Good thing you found it before it became a bigger issue.

Paul
Old 03-07-2022, 01:01 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
Good idea. I was looking at the other side to see how they sealed the end. I think the end screw is supposed to crimp the end down. Putting Dicor up under it should work good. I noticed the paint is cracked all the way across but the seal seems good. More investigation needed to make sure it’s well sealed.