Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #23134
Main door stuck closed!

Hello all! At the end of a trip (thankfully) the main - and only - door stuck shut. We tried all sorts of ways to free it to no avail. Luckily one of us was outside and one was inside so we were able to make it home and start troubleshooting.

The bolts are not locked in and it appears the top and bottom of the door are somewhat free, indicating that the "stick" is somewhere around the door handle and locking mechanism. We attempted to unscrew the door from the inside but it won't come free on the side where it would normally lock.

Anyone else had this experience? All the local repair shops are booked solid and we've got another trip planned in a couple of weeks!

Old 04-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You must have the Trimark lock with the pot-metal latch that breaks and won't retract - common problem; plenty of discussion about it here on this forum (as well as many other RV forums).

Disassemble the lock plate from the inside. Look at the latch tha moves back and forth to keep the door closed (not the deadbolt latch). Use a screwdriver, pliers, whatever it takes to retract the broken latch out of the door jamb.

Buy a new lock and replace it. Some say you can call Trimark and they will send you a new lock for free, some have not been successful with that approach.

You can also get an aftermarket repair kit:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Great for us of us thanks
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Axis/Vegas is a slightly different lock, but probably the same principle as discussed above.

Looks like screen door is in the way of removing the 3rd screw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D29E881E-9947-48BD-8E72-5BF4D5AC6F63.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	29959   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD4FF81-A63A-4EE6-BD25-AB5048DFAD29.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	29960  

Name:	4DD978BF-474F-4EE4-B8AB-C4982262AB94.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	29961  
Old 04-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

THOR #23134
Not the latch

Thanks for your super speedy reply Ted and Melinda!

I had read these posts and did some YouTube viewing, so thought that this was the issue. I was able to remove the screws from the lock from the inside (after crawling back through the window of course, and removing the screen!) but it won't come come free. I can see the bolts and the latch and have a screwdriver keeping the latch from latching back in. However, I think something else must be jammed because it won't come out even with bolts and latch pushed back in.

I suspect this piece of metal up above the top bolt and the second lock (that is retracted in this photo). Not sure what it does, so don't want to beat it with a hammer just yet. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jam.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	29962  
Old 04-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Axis/Vegas is a slightly different lock, but probably the same principle as discussed above.

Looks like screen door is in the way of removing the 3rd screw
A 2015 does not have that type of lock.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLONewbie View Post
Thanks for your super speedy reply Ted and Melinda!

I had read these posts and did some YouTube viewing, so thought that this was the issue. I was able to remove the screws from the lock from the inside (after crawling back through the window of course, and removing the screen!) but it won't come come free. I can see the bolts and the latch and have a screwdriver keeping the latch from latching back in. However, I think something else must be jammed because it won't come out even with bolts and latch pushed back in.

I suspect this piece of metal up above the top bolt and the second lock (that is retracted in this photo). Not sure what it does, so don't want to beat it with a hammer just yet. :-)
I believe you are looking at the head of one of the alignment pins that move with the door. They can unscrew and cause a jam but rather than use a hammer try to screw it back in using some skinny needle-nose pliers if you think th's the cause of the hold up.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #8

THOR #23134
Stuck door - you were right!

Okay, after much work on this door and trying to get it free, a mobile repair guy came by with a tool that helped extract the broken latch out of the door. Even though the latch was free enough to move and appear to not be broken, it was broken internally.

Ted (& Melinda!) - of course you were correct and the latch was indeed the issue. I've ordered the replacement latch kit from the link you provided - thanks so much for your help!

Have a great week!
Old 04-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Thanks for coming back to the thread and providing closure on your thread. So many people start a thread asking for help and never come back to the thread again. Closure helps everyone learn from the experience.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
Trimark door latch internal guts are broken. Had the same thing. Had to crawl out the side window to meet my brother I had not seen in 20 years.

Replaced the complete latch for under $100 in parts. 3 screws. Done in 10 min.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Thread has ended, but if no one was inside, what is the cheapest way to break in? I would call mobile repair if possible...but if not?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #12

Model: Daybreak 34KD
State: Newfoundland
THOR #986
Heat causes our door to stick

The door on our 2013 Daybreak sticks when the sun shines on it. Have to use a crowbar to gently pry it open. Don’t think it is the problem in your case but it is pretty inconvenient being locked out of your coach.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Thread has ended, but if no one was inside, what is the cheapest way to break in? I would call mobile repair if possible...but if not?
That depends on how much Bail the Judge imposes; after you get arrested...
Old 05-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #14
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petergoel View Post
The door on our 2013 Daybreak sticks when the sun shines on it. Have to use a crowbar to gently pry it open. Don’t think it is the problem in your case but it is pretty inconvenient being locked out of your coach.
You need to see if it is your door lock that need a bit more clearance or the jam. My new electronic lock did and it was stuck locked and I left the keys inside. So thankfully I was at home and had all my tools. I was lucky that there was some small gap so I could see the problem. It was the deadbolt just not moving to open completely. I was able to use a thin small L tool to reach in and push the deadbolt open by turning the L with its point pushed in hard against the dead bolt. After getting the keys, I checked and it easily opened with it, but not with the motor. I used a file to open the gap in the door jam just enough to allow the dead bolt to open with the electronic motor. Then I had to continue to file another two spots to stop the door from sticking. Lesson learned - Don't leave the keys inside when first testing a new lock.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:53 AM   #15

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
My 2018 Axis has the lock shown in post 4. We have had problems with getting locked out as well. We discovered that after we lock both locks we were used to pulling the handle to make sure it was locked. Unfortunately something clicks and then we can't open the door.

By happenstance I discovered that if I keep the handle pressed closed while using the key to lock then unlock something catches and the door will open.

Until I get a new lock we use the deadbolt only. And no checking to see if it's locked.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So, I’ve read dozens of threads about this problem but it’s still not clear to me if the problem affects the lock in the first photo or just the one in the second. Does it? I think, however that there is NOT an available replacement for the first one. Is that the case? Thanks for helping this old brain wrap around this issue!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	30193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	30194  

Tags
main door; stuck closed