Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #2788
Rusted compartment door closures.

I have been trying to free compartment door closures and locks with WD-40 for 3 days on my new to me 2004 Chataeu 24-T. It does not look like these closures or locks have ever had any cleaning done to them. Have only been able to free one set screw. Would like to know if anyone has this same problem, and what did you use to free screws??
Only other thing to do is easy out set screw.

Do not need to replace right now. But does anyone know were I can get Chataeu letters to replace mine?

Thanks for any inputs.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I've always used Liquid Wrench on rusted parts. WD-40 is great stuff but I have not had the best of luck with it on rust.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
*2 on the Liquid Wrench. I have also found that Coca Cola (regular, not diet) often works well on rust.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
PB blaster works well
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Never heard if PB Blaster but I googled it. Set screws might be a problem because depending on condition of the slot (or hex slot?)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
I guess I am too old school. 3 in 1, or liquid wrench. Tap the screwdriver on the screwdriver with a hammer. That helps to loosen it up. Try not to miss the handle, you might have a few choice words of wisdom. You been warned, so don't blame me.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #7

THOR #2788
Thanks I will try liquid wrench, and a hammer. Hopefully I can brake loose the screw. WOW some of these are so bad I will have to replace some.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
This fits into the FWIW category.

On my prior Class C I had one compartment where the hinges, screws, lock and latches were rusting every time I turned around. I would clean them, lube them and even replaced the latches and lock. One day I figured out what was happening. That was the compartment where I stored my fresh water hose and supplies. It turns out that everything is not completely dried when it is stored and chlorine from the local water source remaining in the hose or external water filter would off-gas and cause all the metal components in that compartment to corrode. I figured this out one day after we returned home from a camping trip and when I opened that compartment it smelled like someone dumped a gallon of bleach inside and all my new latches and lock were covered with corrosion. From that day instead of using plastic storage containers I use Lowes 5 gallon buckets with lids. Haven't had the problem since I changed.

Ok, back on topic - good luck with the screws.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

THOR #2788
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sprayed PBBlaster on the screws and rust lastnight. Went outside this morning still screws would not brake free. Used vicegrips on screws and they all came loose. Life is good Went online to order replacement locks from Industrial Locks & Hardwear should get them this weekend. One problem fixed.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #10

THOR #2788
Replacment od compartment locks

I recieved my locks the other day. Within 20 minutes I removed the old CH751 locks, and replaced them with Tubular Cam Locks. Now I feel better knowing that not just anyone with a CH751 could open my compartments. The Cam Locks where very easy to order using the printout from the Industrial Lock & Hardware Company out of Palmdale, Ca. It showed what lenght of my cam locks, size of locking arm, and off set of locking arm.