Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 24CR
State: Florida
THOR #24306
Generator help, LP, sprinter

Question regarding my LP generator. I bought a Thor Quantum sprinter a couple months ago. Because I have it on shore power at home I run the generator only when grocery shopping to keep my 89year old mother comfortable while I shop. Currently 1.3 hours! I tried to start it the other day and it cranks but doesn’t fire. After troubleshooting, the problem is no LP getting past the generator regulator. I have verified/ruled out EVERYTHING with the help of Thor, Cummings and a neighbor. I will have to take to Cummins and they will remove unit and possibly have it for while until the part arrives IF they can’t do a simple fix. Because I am 24x7 caregiver to my Mom and can’t leave her alone this long, it will be a seven hour ordeal to take to them and leave it, I was hoping someone would have a hack/great idea how to get this thing to run.

I questioned Cummings about just replacing it with a diesel or new invertor generator but he said they don’t have any and won’t for a long long time.

So, what are the pros/cons of purchasing a stand alone and just sticking it into the empty space for the time being since it may be a while to get mine back? I understand the fuel issues, the noise, the theft chance, the weight,etc. I just need to know would it be SAFE to put a stand alone in that spot temporarily and how to vent it so I don’t kill anyone with fumes. And what is the smallest stand alone I can get that will run my a/c. No need for anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	426A2CE9-FAA3-491E-AEB4-C9384D0BC7B1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	33300  

Old 09-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Portable generators are designed to be run in the open, not in the small space where your Onan generator was. You may have cooling problems as a result.

Also a 2,000-2,500 watt generator may not be sufficient to run a 15,000 btu/hr A/C unit.

David
Old 09-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
A Honda 2200 or similar will generally run a 15k air conditioner if you add a $300 “soft start” to the air conditioner unit.

As stated above, you’ll need to run the generator outside for proper cooling.
So most people fasten to RV with a good cable & lock. That should persuade thieves.
You’ll also need to carry a plastic 2 or 5gal gas container.

So the expense and hassle may not be worth it.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I have a 2000 watt generator for sale on Craigslist
In montana
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

THOR #24306
Thanks guys. I didn’t know if it would fly bolting it in that spot. Even if temporary. My need is having it available while I’m inside and I can’t just leave it beside unit. It does appear that it won’t be possible and not worth the time and or trouble or expense.

Scuba I’d love to come to Montana, one of the places that looks so beautiful! Not in my immediate future though.😁
Old 09-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

THOR #24306
Update

Well, generator is running under load as I type this.

The Cummins rep had a tech talk to me other day with options to make sure I had tried everything. He advised to go ahead and try spraying starter fluid into the air intake. I did and it started to catch but wouldn’t run for more than a couple seconds and then flashed an error code. Sigh, made plans for my sister to fly down to be here with mom so I can take the coach to Cummins.

This morning I was doing my walk around and stopped to do my morning generator attempt and the darn thing fired up! I was so shocked I stumbled backwards shouting “holy s*#” !

My best guess is because it is so new debris must have been blocking the LP intake and the starter fluid attempt knocked it free! Woohooooooo!

Thanks again for the responses!