Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #4791
RV exterior detailing

The March 2017 edition of Motorhome magazine had a very extensive article on after winter detailing. Products to use on wheels,windows, awnings and the paint. Buffers and other detailing products.
I went thru the Thor book that came with our 2016 Axis 24.1. It states not to use any power buffers including most of the other products and procedures in the Motorhome article. Hand wash and wax only! Seems rather old school.
It's hard for me to believe with all the great new products out, that can extended the life of the exterior not to use them.
Plan on being on the road for about 6 months this year. Would like to start out with as durable finish as possible on everything. I know the pros out there can give me the best advice.

Thanks Montana Mike

Old 04-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Montana Mike. I don't know Thor's reasoning for no buffers but I do know a fellow RV owner of a2006 ALPHA who had his MH buffed with an electric buffer last Fall and this Spring it had 1/16 inch round pits in the fiberglass all over the MH. I've never seen fiberglass do that before!
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I would suspect that the "no buffer" comes from all the decals on Axis/Vegas units...alas no full body paint for us.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Just a small amount of grit on a buffer pad, even at low speed, will rip the decals (especially the edges of the decals) to shreds. Generally there is not a smooth transition between the decal and the paint.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Montana Mike. I don't know Thor's reasoning for no buffers but I do know a fellow RV owner of a2006 ALPHA who had his MH buffed with an electric buffer last Fall and this Spring it had 1/16 inch round pits in the fiberglass all over the MH. I've never seen fiberglass do that before!
Caused by fiberglass not adhering to the gel coat which is very thin. Buffer broke down the gel coat and that caused the pits. Only cure is spot patching and total repainted, expensive! That would suck! Another good reason not to buff with electric machine.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

State: Montana
THOR #4791
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll go old school as far as the buffer concerning the paint. I will purchase some the the products that were recommended.
Thanks .
Stay thirsted my friend !