Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: California
THOR #12941
5 Amp fuse blowing repeatedly

A couple of days ago, I went to put out the slides and there was no power. It was late, so i went to bed and waited'til morning. In the morning I discovered the 5amp fuse was lit up in the fuse panel. I replaced it and all went back to normal. Yesterday, the same thing happened and I replaced the fuse again. And again. About the 4th time, the fuse arcked. According to the description inside the fuse box, the 5 amp is for the LP & CO detector.

I am out on the road in Crescent City, CA. The two automotive shops I have been to are too busy to take a look at it for several days. I have a call in to a mobile RV repair but don't know how long it may take him to respond. I am a couple of days away from making Portland. Without slides, I'm mostly inconvenienced by not being able to get the coffee maker out not walk around the bed, but certainly liveable.

I am no electrician but willing to try any fix. Can you give me advice for what tip look for? Is it dyi? Should I push on to a big city for a possible repair shop? I'm in my first week of a month long adventure. I am also attending a women's rv rally in Mt Hood beginning a week from today. I would appreciate any response/advice.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I had a 5amp for my windshield wipers blow, replaced it, blew again down the road, all while it's raining, of course....replace with a 10amp and have driven 80,000 miles since with narry an issue...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Could you tell if the fuses you replaced were actually bad? I know that sounds silly - I mean could you see where the tiny wire inside the fuse had blown, or if not did you check with a meter to verify the fuse was blown?

The reason I ask is that the light next to a fuse will also light if the fuse is not making good contact with the connectors. In time, there may be a slight bit of corrosion on the connector blades, or the blades are spread apart slightly and the fuse doesn't make good contact. The fuse should fit firmly into the connector and if not you can carefully compress the connector blade with a pair of needle nose pliers to make it fit tighter.

If the fuse is actually blowing, then disregard my comments as there is something drawing too much current and fuse is doing it's job.

One more thing; it wouldn't be the first time a fuse is not labeled correctly in the panel! The slideout not working shouldn't be related to the CO2 detector fuse.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #4

THOR #12941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Could you tell if the fuses you replaced were actually bad? I know that sounds silly - I mean could you see where the tiny wire inside the fuse had blown, or if not did you check with a meter to verify the fuse was blown?

Yes. I can see the small wire is definitely broken. And they were good when I put them in.

The reason I ask is that the light next to a fuse will also light if the fuse is not making good contact with the connectors. In time, there may be a slight bit of corrosion on the connector blades, or the blades are spread apart slightly and the fuse doesn't make good contact. The fuse should fit firmly into the connector and if not you can carefully compress the connector blade with a pair of needle nose pliers to make it fit tighter.

I have had to use needlenose plyers to get it installed as it is so tight.

If the fuse is actually blowing, then disregard my comments as there is something drawing too much current and fuse is doing it's job.

One more thing; it wouldn't be the first time a fuse is not labeled correctly in the panel! The slideout not working shouldn't be related to the CO2 detector fuse.
Yes, I've read that repeatedly on this forum but it is the only 5 Amp fuse in the panel so it seems correct. But yes, it is very odd that the slides don't work because of this.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I had a 5amp for my windshield wipers blow, replaced it, blew again down the road, all while it's raining, of course....replace with a 10amp and have driven 80,000 miles since with narry an issue...
I'm not suggesting that you do this...
But if you were to replace the fuse with a 10 amp one
If it doesn't pop: it's just being overloaded somehow; but not enough to say that's it's a short.
If it does pop: it's a short, and yiou've got something more serious to worry about!
Let us know what your next course of action is: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Be careful if you do decide to go with a 10 amp fuse. Remember that there is a reason why they installed a 5 amp fuse. You don't want to damage another system because you went with a higher rated fuse.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #7

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Be careful if you do decide to go with a 10 amp fuse. Remember that there is a reason why they installed a 5 amp fuse. You don't want to damage another system because you went with a higher rated fuse.
I agree.But you might want to check on you wiring diagram and see if it really calls for a 5 amp fuse or if they just put one in there because that’s what they had at the time.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
You are talking about the fuses on the Converter Power Distribution section like in the attached picture from my Vegas, Right. On my panel the only 5 Amp fuse is #7 for the LP & CO detectors. My fuse #10 is 30 Amp and it's called Slide Motor Power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter CBs & Fuses.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	20504  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:35 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
In my power center all 17 fuses are 15 amps except for the slide motors and as posted above, it is a 30 amp fuse. Up front here ia a selection of 3, 10 and 25 amp fuses for the front cap.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
What are you doing exactly when the 5 amp fuse blows? You said the slide would not work and then you replaced the 5 amp fuse and all was good (....for a while). Usually the propane/co alarm is located in the bedroom and in my ACE 30.1 the bedroom slide control button is in the wall directly above the propane/co detector. If your coach has a similar arrangement I am wondering if “somehow” when operating your slide it is physically causing the propane/co wiring to short and the slide 30 amp wiring circuit to open up? Just a WAG of course, simply because of potential wiring co location in my coach; may not be the same in your coach of course.

I would also suggest to never replace a spec’d fuse with a larger amperage fuse rating unless you know the circuit load(s) current requirements (maybe they changed because of a non equivalent replacement device) and the wire gauge/details of the circuit in question. Maybe you can get away with it for a quick test, but it can be a risky business. You might test out your smoke detector though.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
You have been insanely lucky. There is a reason why they put a 5 amp fuse on that circuit. The fuse is the weak link of any circuit.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #12

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
You have been insanely lucky. There is a reason why they put a 5 amp fuse on that circuit. The fuse is the weak link of any circuit.

Amen to that-extremely lucky.
GVP
Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! I agree...
Old 09-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #14

THOR #12941
UPDATE - I am a little out in the woods so I don't always have cell service, but last night when I made camp,I put in another 5 Amp fuse so I could get the slides out. I saw that while the green light was on for the LP the red light was flashing for the carbon monoxide. (All Windows and doors were open.) I reset it and pulled out the manual. It was kind of confusing but it seemed to me that it was indicating low power. Afterward it stayed green and there were no problems when I got on the road this morning. As I got to cell service,I pulled over and saw your messages and the fuse is blown again. So I cannot tell you of anything specifically that causes it. It was still green when I pulled out.

Also, I would not consider putting a higher amp fuse in. I can afford a lot of 5 Amp fuses. Definitely not worth the risk.

Although I have called two mobile RV techs, I haven't heard back from them and I need to move along. I will be in Portland next week, so will try to find help there.

I do appreciate all your responses. I will let you know of any further development.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope that it turns out to be something simple, and easy to fix.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #16

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well this is a head scratcher. You have to replace a 5 amp fuse meant to power the propane/Co detector, in order for a slide to work that should be power fed from its own dedicated 30 amp fuse (typically). I wonder where your slide controller is located and if it shows any signs of being powered or any error codes when the 5 amp fuse is removed/reinstalled?
Also it sounds like the 5 amp fuse blows sometime after you are under way and not during actual deployment or retraction of the slide. I think when the propane/co detector is first re-powered it can take up to 6 minutes to reset and stabilize again with no alarm conditions. So I assume every time the 5 amp fuse blows the propane /co det dies; repower takes a few minutes to stabilize again.

Any electrical work or repairs done prior to this problem starting?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 PM   #17

THOR #12941
No repairs done in months.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:56 AM   #18

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quantum Facebook

Thor Quantum Owners Facebook Group

I do not condone Facebook, but if you do, maybe it could be another source of info.
Also, a posted schematic of the electrical would go a long way if you have one.

Stay cool
Old 09-28-2019, 03:05 AM   #19

THOR #12941
I have posted on a Quantum group on FB. I have the multi meter out to try and find the short tomorrow morning. The most puzzling thing is the lack of power to the slides but again tonight, as soon add I put a new fuse in, slides work fine. I'll get the electrical schematics out tonight.

I can't thank you all enough for the input and support.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Well after rereading your post, I would say you had a wrong fuse in there. As a wiper motor is going to draw more then 5 amps. If you look at your fuse panel it should tell you what the proper fuse should be. You should check it to make sure.