Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2509
Safe t plus

Hey guys,looking into steering control,as I looked under The Vegas it has one!
Is the safe t plus just a better product than factory? This is a pic with the
Wheels centered

Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
the factory thing, at least on my E-450 is just a damper.

different thing

The Safe T Steer is a self centering device..... it's only real advantage based on quite a bit of research, is the centering force that it will give you in a blow out situation, or a bad bump steer condition (pot hole)

Many people use it to correct the wandering that we have in the steering, but from what I can tell it masks the "issue" it doesn't correct it.
For that, tire air pressure and panhard rods being better helps (for leaf spring suspensions anyway).... and caster alignment adjustment being the fix apparently.

Masking or not, no doubt though they help..... and the real advantage of help with blowouts make them a very attractive add on.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
The factory stabilizer is not very good for a motorhome chassis. The factory unit is not very strong, and just not up to the task of controlling a coach when a blowout or rough road conditions occur. It is intended for just minimal control for a truck chassis that has many different applications and is not always loaded. Since the coach body is permanently on the chassis, a much more substantial steering stabilizer is needed. The unit I chose was the Safe-T-Plus, and it is great. Get the front-end aligned first, then install the unit. The install is easy, but the adjustments can be time-consuming, tho not complicated. The difference in handling is amazing when going down the highway in windy conditions, or when passed by a semi. The E-350 chassis handles a bit squirrely, but with the Safe-T-Plus, it is 2 fingered driving control. Much more comfortable and confident driving experience. There are several Youtube videos all about the Safe-T-Plus unit, and how it works. The unit for the E-350 chassis is $330-$450, depending on where you buy it, and about $150-250 to install. I went to a local Ford dealer who has a mechanic and equipment to work on motorhomes. It is definitely worth the investment. It has a lifetime guarantee. If you go to Atlanta, where the Safe-T-Plus is manufactured, they will install if for free. I wish I installed it on my Tiffin with the F-53 chassis. That chassis really needed major steering control. The safety factor alone makes it well worth the investment.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
There is no question in my mind that the front-end alignment is necessary, especially on a brand-new coach. Thor reimbursed me for the front-end alignment that was not done after coach assembly This is really important. Every manufacturer should do this, but they do not. You cannot mount a coach on a stripped chassis without recalibrating the steering geometry for the added weight. Also, there are several steering stabilizers on the market, but I wanted the simplest and most trouble-free unit I could find. Thhe Safe-T-Plus was my choice, especially after viewing the tire blowout videos on Youtube with the unit in place. The steering control is just amazing.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #5

THOR #2509
Info

Thank you,start doing research on handling you get overwhelmed.thank god
For this board fellas......
Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.j.hogan View Post
Thank you,start doing research on handling you get overwhelmed.thank god
For this board fellas......
aint that the truth!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
David,
Do you have the address for the Safe-T-Plus plant in Atlanta? We have family there and could make a trip out of it. Plus...if anyone can get it installed the place that makes it should!

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

THOR #2883
remember Linda and Jim met in Dennisport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.j.hogan View Post
Hey guys,looking into steering control,as I looked under The Vegas it has one!
Is the safe t plus just a better product than factory? This is a pic with the
Wheels centered
Just wanted to touch base.

Send me a quick email so we will have your info!

ambasatrvl@aol.com

Linda and Jim Gallagher