Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WINDSPORT 31S
State: Arizona
THOR #27147
Sagging slideout cover??

The cover that rolls out to cover the slideout is not taut. The result is water accumulation when it is raining. Is there a way to adjust the slack out of the slideout cover (awning)? Hope this makes sense. Not sure of technical name of the component. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance… Jack

Old 07-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Frequent topic of discussion here. This especially happens on the large full wall slides. Most people live with it but here's a video of a guy who tightened a Dometic brand awning:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson11 View Post
The cover that rolls out to cover the slideout is not taut. The result is water accumulation when it is raining. Is there a way to adjust the slack out of the slideout cover (awning)? Hope this makes sense. Not sure of technical name of the component. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance… Jack
Once again, year, make and model in your signature would sure help us. My first thoughts/questions. Is it a full length wall slide cover? Or a short bedroom slide cover? Was it real windy during the rain? When you first extend the slide, is it taut or loose?
Old 07-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Look on the ends where it's mounted to brackets. It probably has a manufacturer label. Although there's many different styles/brands/sizes of motorhomes, they often use the same components.

My slide topper hardware is Lippert components, same for my awning. IMO, the video posted was very vague... for such a project MUCH greater detail is needed, with specific step by step instructions. This guy "step skipped"... which is fine for someone experienced with doing this.

I'm watching closely because I know I will eventually need to tighten mine in a few years...
Old 07-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

THOR #27147
The cap on end of slideout cover says “carefree” which is kind of ironic. It is the 12’ slideout for dinette & sofa. Motorhome model is a 2017 Windsport 31S. Not sure if it sags when first extended, but think maybe not. Guess fabric material could be old and sags once water is on top weighing it down???
Old 07-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Some slide a beach ball inside while open to create a hump so water does not collect. Just don't forget to take it out. ��
Old 07-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #7

THOR #27147
Thanks for the beach ball idea. Super easy and should solve the problem.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson11 View Post
Plant 750 has been using Carefree of Colorado slide toppers on Hurricanes and Windsports for more than 8 years. Directions of how to adjust the spring are on their website. Also there are the roll locks that need to be readjusted if the roll is tightened.

I had a topper unroll is a wind gust (driving 55 into a storm and a 60 mph gust the us in the left front corner). The gust fully unrolled the topper and then the spring reeled it back in. That force bent the bracket and stripped the lock end of the roller. The roller was locked against the slide so it could not be opened. I bought the repair parts from Amazon and downloaded the installation instructions.
By the way, I found the gust lock on the bedroom slide's topper was also maladjusted.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #9

THOR #27147
Thanks for the info. I will check out their website.