Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2023, 08:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
Posts: 2
THOR #31335
Question SaniFlush question

I have a 2022 Thor Chateau 24f and when cleaning the black tank using the saniflush water started coming up from the bathroom sink only. I had only put in 10 gal when i heard a strange noise and when i went to look in the bathroom the sink was filling up. Both black tank valves were closed at the time when using the saniflush. I immediately pulled the plug from the sink but did not leave the blue water in the sink and then pull black tank valves to see if the sink would drain. So many questions, if the sink was plugged how did the water get in?
I'm very confused, any ideas??

__________________
adele1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,843
THOR #11130
The dump valves are suppose to be open when cleaning.black tank. It's purpose is to knock down solids from the walls...like flushing a toilet does.
__________________
Now an SOB
Traded Thor for Melbourne Prestige 24NP
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mark54's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
Posts: 391
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele1214 View Post
I have a 2022 Thor Chateau 24f and when cleaning the black tank using the saniflush water started coming up from the bathroom sink only. I had only put in 10 gal when i heard a strange noise and when i went to look in the bathroom the sink was filling up. Both black tank valves were closed at the time when using the saniflush. I immediately pulled the plug from the sink but did not leave the blue water in the sink and then pull black tank valves to see if the sink would drain. So many questions, if the sink was plugged how did the water get in?
I'm very confused, any ideas??
Yes- open the valve! (black tank) You'll just fill the black tank, and back up into anything that feeds it by not having that open. Toilet too! Yuk!!
SanTFlush is an internal shower to clean the tank as mentioned by "Gritz".
__________________
Mark & Cyndy
2022 Thor Tellaro 20L, 600Ah LFP/ Balmar UHG, 380W solar.
Former: 2001 Rialta QD, (full refit), 2021 Tellaro 20AT ( 3mos)
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:58 PM   #4
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 13,876
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele1214 View Post
I have a 2022 Thor Chateau 24f and when cleaning the black tank using the saniflush water started coming up from the bathroom sink only. I had only put in 10 gal when i heard a strange noise and when i went to look in the bathroom the sink was filling up. Both black tank valves were closed at the time when using the saniflush. I immediately pulled the plug from the sink but did not leave the blue water in the sink and then pull black tank valves to see if the sink would drain. So many questions, if the sink was plugged how did the water get in?
I'm very confused, any ideas??
Your bathroom sink drains to the black tank. With the black tank drain valves close, and the bathroom sink drain closed, and the toilet ball valve closed, the only escape for the overflowed black tank was the sink overflow opening or the black tank vent on the roof. Guess which one is lower?
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad - Selling
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
You MUST pay close attention to how much water you've added to the black tank. Yes, you're supposed to have the Valterra valves open. However, I've found that filling the black tank about 3/4, then rocking/sloshing the water around in the tank does a much more thorough job of dislodging any clingons from the tank sensors.

I stress... you MUST be cognizant of the tank! I have a routine that includes nearly filling the tank (and sloshing) twice when dumping at home. I do that on the road if no one is waiting behind me. But I NEVER walk away while the tank is filling. That's how disasters happen!

I've found the San-i-Flush by itself is not thorough enough to really clean the sensors, which is probably why so many people complain about their sensors not working.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:24 PM   #6
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,643
THOR #1469
I actually use my black tank flush to fill my black tank with valve closed to aid in cleaning the tank.

3 points when doing this.

1. I know my black tank is 40 gallons

2. I use a water meter on the hose I use and I never go over 37 gallons before opening the tank valve.

3. I never leave the area of the wet bay while flushing the tank.

There are others on the forum that do something similar if not the same.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
So many questions is correct.

1. How do you know you only put in 10 gallons?
2. What did gauge read before starting?
3. Did you drain the black tank empty before starting Sani Flush?
4. How large is your black tank?

I have always wished my bathroom sink was connected to my blank tank. After reading this I am going to rethink that. With that said, I have 40 gallon black tank. My tank is always drained empty before the Sani Flush starts. I close valve and let run like you did, but it would require gross negligence on my part to over flow 40 gallons. I open the valve based on gut feel ( no science) and watch it drain, repeat until water is crystal clear.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,784
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I actually use my black tank flush to fill my black tank with valve closed to aid in cleaning the tank.

3 points when doing this.

1. I know my black tank is 40 gallons

2. I use a water meter on the hose I use and I never go over 37 gallons before opening the tank valve.

3. I never leave the area of the wet bay while flushing the tank.

There are others on the forum that do something similar if not the same.
Bingo We do basically the same thing
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:14 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
Posts: 2
THOR #31335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So many questions is correct.

1. How do you know you only put in 10 gallons?
2. What did gauge read before starting?
3. Did you drain the black tank empty before starting Sani Flush?
4. How large is your black tank?

I have always wished my bathroom sink was connected to my blank tank. After reading this I am going to rethink that. With that said, I have 40 gallon black tank. My tank is always drained empty before the Sani Flush starts. I close valve and let run like you did, but it would require gross negligence on my part to over flow 40 gallons. I open the valve based on gut feel ( no science) and watch it drain, repeat until water is crystal clear.
Yes I drained the black tank before using Sani flush and I used a water meter to watch how many gallons was going in. I used 12 gallons when I heard a sound and I went in to the bathroom and the sink was nearly full. My black tank holds 37 gallons
__________________
adele1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,643
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele1214 View Post
Yes I drained the black tank before using Sani flush and I used a water meter to watch how many gallons was going in. I used 12 gallons when I heard a sound and I went in to the bathroom and the sink was nearly full. My black tank holds 37 gallons
Three things come to mind.

1. The black tank wasnít completely drained due to some type of restriction

2. The drain pipe from the lab sink to black tank was installed too low causing the black tank contents to back into the sink drain

3. The black tank vent blocked causing a pressure backup into the lab sink drain

I would look into 2 and 3 first.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele1214 View Post
Yes I drained the black tank before using Sani flush and I used a water meter to watch how many gallons was going in. I used 12 gallons when I heard a sound and I went in to the bathroom and the sink was nearly full. My black tank holds 37 gallons
You have done what I normally do, but you have one upped me because you used a flowmeter to measure how much went into the Sani Flush port. I have flow meter, but I only use it to measure the freshwater going into freshwater tank.

The above suggest you may have another issue?
We have to assume your black tank was in fact 100% empty?
We have to assume your flowmeter works correctly?
Both are easy for you to verify.

The sound may be key, if you know what area it may help.

Also, for clarity, are you saying your sink has a overflow drain in the sink? Mine don't, but I have SOB ( some other brand). On mine; if my gray tank were backed up, it would hit the shower floor first. I have plumbing diagram and you may wish to get the same from Thor.

But point being if my sink drain plug were in and pressure from below were applied it would easily push that drain plugger stopper out. But are you saying your drain plug was still secure, but black water was in the sink?

FWIW, when my coach was new, we overfilled our Gray tank knowing that it was full, but we were unknowingly still using it We ASSUMED our Bathroom sink was going to Black tank because that is what I had read mostly on this forum, so we used the bathroom sink for everything and our Gray tank started to overflow, but the pressure never made it to shower floor, rather it popped out a loose fitting above the gray tank. It went all over one of our basement compartments. I was lucky to find while pumping gas. We were two hours from home; so I waited to get home to dump everything and to allow it to dry out. I called WBGO ( not the Dealer). WBGO had Dealer take us in the next day and we got our RV back within a week repaired under warranty. In the end game, ignorance is not always bliss, but can be beneficial. I proved that
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:57 PM   #12
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,643
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You have done what I normally do, but you have one upped me because you used a flowmeter to measure how much went into the Sani Flush port. I have flow meter, but I only use it to measure the freshwater going into freshwater tank.

The above suggest you may have another issue?
We have to assume your black tank was in fact 100% empty?
We have to assume your flowmeter works correctly?
Both are easy for you to verify.

The sound may be key, if you know what area it may help.

Also, for clarity, are you saying your sink has a overflow drain in the sink? Mine don't, but I have SOB ( some other brand). On mine; if my gray tank were backed up, it would hit the shower floor first. I have plumbing diagram and you may wish to get the same from Thor.

But point being if my sink drain plug were in and pressure from below were applied it would easily push that drain plugger stopper out. But are you saying your drain plug was still secure, but black water was in the sink?

FWIW, when my coach was new, we overfilled our Gray tank knowing that it was full, but we were unknowingly still using it We ASSUMED our Bathroom sink was going to Black tank because that is what I had read mostly on this forum, so we used the bathroom sink for everything and our Gray tank started to overflow, but the pressure never made it to shower floor, rather it popped out a loose fitting above the gray tank. It went all over one of our basement compartments. I was lucky to find while pumping gas. We were two hours from home; so I waited to get home to dump everything and to allow it to dry out. I called WBGO ( not the Dealer). WBGO had Dealer take us in the next day and we got our RV back within a week repaired under warranty. In the end game, ignorance is not always bliss, but can be beneficial. I proved that
FWIW, I have 2 meters that I use. One is blue for fresh water connected to a blue zero gravity hose and the other is black connected to a black zero gravity hose. This wasnít intentional but just worked out that way. I installed quick connects for both at the water bay.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,494
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
FWIW, I have 2 meters that I use. One is blue for fresh water connected to a blue zero gravity hose and the other is black connected to a black zero gravity hose. This wasnít intentional but just worked out that way. I installed quick connects for both at the water bay.
The one that I have is Green. I bought it to measure the water going to pool, I commandeer it to use on RV when filling up. I am the guy that use to always fill my fresh water tank to it overflowed out the rear and then stop and laugh at those that stopped at 1/3rd tank. But now with a 6,000# towed, I may consciously only fill to to 1/3 tank. FWIW, I laugh at myself every time I do it though. Maybe one day I will get a 2nd flowmeter, but I can't possibly imagine overflowing my 40 gallon black tank. Our gray tank (61 gal) is always the issue. It fills 2 to 1 to our black. I think it may be in part why our black sensors stay cleaned or still work. I always put in treatment for 40 gallons of black, but on average when I dump I only have 20 gallons of black. So it may be extra potent>
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 5
THOR #30531
Thor is one of the only brands of RV where the bathroom sink, on some models, drains into the black tank and not the grey tank. I have a Thor and thats the case on mine as well. As such, thats why you had backup into your bathroom sink along with the fact that you didnt have your black tank valve pulled.
__________________
ztoddb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:01 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
Posts: 116
THOR #27561
With the SaniFlush, I do as others do. I empty the black tank, close the dump valve, then turn on the SaniFlush. I time the water, usually two minutes, or have my wife check the level in the black tank by looking through the toilet. Then I open the drain valve with the SaniFlush running. Once or twice is usually enough to get the tank perfectly clean unless someone has done their number very recently and the motorhome hasnít moved.

My Thor plumbing diagrams show my lavatory sink connected to the grey water tank and I have confirmed this visually. At first I thought that perhaps your grey water tank valve was leaking but then you would have had black water in your shower pan.

So one way or the other, donít overfill your black water tank.
__________________
PreCambrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,784
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztoddb64 View Post
Thor is one of the only brands of RV where the bathroom sink, on some models, drains into the black tank and not the grey tank. I have a Thor and thats the case on mine as well. As such, thats why you had backup into your bathroom sink along with the fact that you didnt have your black tank valve pulled.
FWIW, we have had a Gulfstream & a Coachman, in both of them the bathroom sinks drained into black.
There are two schools of thought on why mfrgs drain the sink into the black.
1. they do it to get extra water into the black tank. Or 2. They pipe the sink to the whichever tank is closest to save on plumbing parts & install labor. More than likely #2.
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
FWIW, we have had a Gulfstream & a Coachman, in both of them the bathroom sinks drained into black.
There are two schools of thought on why mfrgs drain the sink into the black.
1. they do it to get extra water into the black tank. Or 2. They pipe the sink to the whichever tank is closest to save on plumbing parts & install labor. More than likely #2.
Likely train of thought... Plumb to the closest tank - cheapest - which happens to be the black. Then advertise as "helping the customer".
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Dan-sr@perra-us.net's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
Posts: 1,138
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Likely train of thought... Plumb to the closest tank - cheapest - which happens to be the black. Then advertise as "helping the customer".
In my experience with my Tiffin Allegro where the only thing draining into the Black Tank was the toilet, we would always need to dump the gray tank long before the black tank was full. Personally, I like that the Bathroom sink also drains into the black tank. We still fill the gray tank first but now there is usually enough in the black tank to get a better emptying of the black tank. In addition, all you need do is turn on the Bathroom sink to add water to the Black tank it you want to do through flush.
__________________
Dan
2018 Thor ACE 30.3
Towing 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2