Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #3619
Hot Water Heater -Electrical

Hi folks...need a little assistance. I have a 2016 Ace 30.1 and when operating the HW heater on 110v I smell what seems to be an electrical smell. Of course I have since turned the 110v off and currently using LP.

Does anyone know how to gain access to the rear of the HW heater to check the wiring? I'm assuming this is where the main 110v wire enters into the HW heater? I have removed all of the drawers from under the wardrobe and I see is a small portion (top) of the HW heater. I'm certain I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Steve

Hwy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post
Hi folks...need a little assistance. I have a 2016 Ace 30.1 and when operating the HW heater on 110v I smell what seems to be an electrical smell. Of course I have since turned the 110v off and currently using LP.

Does anyone know how to gain access to the rear of the HW heater to check the wiring? I'm assuming this is where the main 110v wire enters into the HW heater? I have removed all of the drawers from under the wardrobe and I see is a small portion (top) of the HW heater. I'm certain I'm missing something.

Steve
On my 30.3 it's behind an access panel that's below a drawer and there is a screw on each side of the access panel.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Just had that same problem last week! Once you get to the back of the water heater there is a black box containing the wiring, remove the cover, mine was taped on, and you will have access to the wiring. Make sure your breaker is off and then double check, my breaker was mislabeled and the wires were still hot, found that off the painful way.

My wiring was poorly connected, was arcing which caused the wiring to burn. Fortunately we were in the MH, awake, and smelled the burning. Repair was simple but the incident could have been disastrous!!! Here are pictures of what I found:
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCB8E067-DF03-4DC3-A1DA-E91A925D9D84.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	7851

Name:	3E6497BF-64B4-4DE5-85DA-35CD1F3AEAD1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	7852

Name:	03769F1F-75BA-49FF-9125-6BC172FBCB5C.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	7853
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
When I was trouble shooting the gas not working on my hot water heater (turned out to be a control board), we got into the junction box and checked all the connections, but after seeing that I'm tempted to go back in and check again.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #5

THOR #3619
Wow!! That could have turned out badley...glad you guys were in the moho and found it in time. Mine may very well be simular.

I did pull the draws and located the top of HWH...however all of the HVAC ducting runs over the top. This and the fact that it sits down in a hole on the chassis. Not sure how I'll get to the ducting to disconnect? I'll dig around some more.

Thanks gentlemen!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Just had that same problem last week! Once you get to the back of the water heater there is a black box containing the wiring, remove the cover, mine was taped on, and you will have access to the wiring. Make sure your breaker is off and then double check, my breaker was mislabeled and the wires were still hot, found that off the painful way.

My wiring was poorly connected, was arcing which caused the wiring to burn. Fortunately we were in the MH, awake, and smelled the burning. Repair was simple but the incident could have been disastrous!!! Here are pictures of what I found:
Attachment 7851

Attachment 7852

Attachment 7853

Glad you caught it before it got to far. Same thing happened to us last year on the transfer switch. We smelled ours burning and by the time I got to it there was no plastic left on the wire nuts, just red hot wire. I checked every connection after that incident and found loose ones on the HWH also, but overlooked the outside receptacle. It almost melted from loose connections also, but I lost all 120vac before it burned. To say that Thor has a lack of quality control-construction is an understatement.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

THOR #3619
Gee...believe Thor needs to hire certified electricians and overhaul their QC!!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Nop, keep the line moving at all costs.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Glad you caught it before it got to far. Same thing happened to us last year on the transfer switch. We smelled ours burning and by the time I got to it there was no plastic left on the wire nuts, just red hot wire. I checked every connection after that incident and found loose ones on the HWH also, but overlooked the outside receptacle. It almost melted from loose connections also, but I lost all 120vac before it burned. To say that Thor has a lack of quality control-construction is an understatement.
Same issue with TRANSFER SWITCH on our 25.2 VEGAS. Lost our AIR CONDITIONING and found the melted wire nuts AFTER searching for the TRANSFER SWITCH. Does help to be an electrician when you in a MH.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:15 AM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post

Steve
You can access the back of the water heater on a 30.1 under the right side bottom drawer under the closet (not the drawers under the vanity). There is a poorly secured piece of luan over the access hole in the floor. This is the same place you access the water bypass valves. Wiring runs under the floor from the breaker box under the bed to the water heater - maybe 5 ft of wire, but it’s buried under the water tubes and furnace ducts.

It’s not easy to work you way down to the wiring but you can get to it with an appropriately colorful vocabulary. I had to get down to it to it to trace the circuit that Thor had landed on the wrong breaker, but didn’t inspect the connections at the time. It’s now on my todo list before we dewinterize in the spring given SuperD’s close call.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #11

THOR #3619
Thanks much for the info. I was afraid it was buied under all the duct work and water lines. Guess this is what I'll dive into tomorrow. I'll advise all as to what I find.

Thanks again for the info!

Steve
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Normally RV techs just pull the WH out to work on it, it’s a PIA because of having to disconnect the water and electrical. If you can get to the back side without removing the WH you’ll save a lot of time and work!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 22B
THOR #5531
I have a 2017 Thor Chateau 22B (bought new) and last week while on Electric Hot water we noticed a burning smell. Switched over to propane and the smell went away. Where on the 22B would I find the Hot water unit etc. I looked under both dinette seats but saw nothing visible. The smell appeared to becoming from under the rear dinette seat.

thanks,
George
Old 07-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you smell something burning: stop doing whatever it is that you're doing, and don't stop looking until you find the source!
it could be your own life; that you're saving!

Good luck, and please let us know what you find!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane
THOR #4740
Where would the hot water heater located in a 2018 hurricane having exacted same issue. Thanks