Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16024
Smile Satellite TV

What recommendations does anyone have for a satellite TV supplier? Which system do you recommend? How does the "pay as you go" option work out?
Just trying to gather some feedback before we buy anything.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I currently have dish at home and when we go forward to add it to my coach, I will add the dish to it and pay the small monthly add on fee to my regular monthly bill at home. They also have the month to month pay as you go but it makes more sense for me to pay the add on monthly fee.

Paul
Old 08-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucat66 View Post
What recommendations does anyone have for a satellite TV supplier? Which system do you recommend? How does the "pay as you go" option work out?
Just trying to gather some feedback before we buy anything.
I been a DirecTV (ATT TV) subscriber for 26 years. The same service and equipment is used in the coach and at home (HS-17 with C-41W for 3 TVs). The HS-17 is WiFi connected and logs on to the coach's router. I do use a carry out Slimline 2 antenna with 200 ft of RG-6 coax cable which stays with the coach. I use a LCC for local channels when traveling as ATT does not allow different service and billing address some days.

That said, Dish is better if you do not already subscribe to ATT TV. As for equipment, ATT TV will supply it free with a 2 year contract. For Dish SolidSignal.com has everything you need and with all the advice you can ask for. If you desire a coach mounted sat antenna, Winegard can supply the most popular antennas.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I recently left ATT Uverse and went to DISH for my residential service.
I’m saving about $50/mo for the same package.
Plus...
> Hopper 3 has many many features I could not find at ATT, even if I wanted to pay more (although ATT is now adding more tech to their receivers)
> I added a $7/mo Wally & Dome roof mount sat dish so that I can have 24/7 TV anywhere

One of the benefits of going with DISH (or Direct TV) vs Internet TV only is that there are many boon-docking locations we go to that have limited cell service, thus no internet/data service.

Tags
providers, satellite, subscription programs